Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running in the Real World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Well done on the training Anna great to see you getting back into your stride again ....6 mile hike ... You're mad !!! Enjoy !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Good luck tomorrow, Anna. All your recent good work should stand you in good stead. ENJOY!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Good luck Anna - go nail it!! All those hills will stand to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

yes good luck tomorrow! enjoy it too :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Good luck tomorrow, All the hard work about to pay off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Good luck Anna :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Good luck tomorrow, you're going to run a blinder and reap the benefits of the work you've been putting in. Go missus!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Well done on the training Anna great to see you getting back into your stride again ....6 mile hike ... You're mad !!! Enjoy !

thanks A, and congrats on your great result in Ballycotton!

the hike is 6 HOURS... which come to think of it will probably be about 8 miles... but lots of climbing... perfect recovery :eek:

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Wait until we start doing drills! They'll be out with the white coats.

haha, I'm pretty sure I've never seen adults skipping in Fairview park :)

Thanks all for the good wishes for tomorrow... I'd like to think that all 3 weeks or so of good training I've put in will pay off... either way, looking forward to it...

about 5k of the race is on the Bundoran bypass (always thought it was a great idea to bypass Bundoran), not long after it opened somebody was arrested for speeding there and the judge let him off because it was such a good road, the driver couldn't help himself :roll eyes: I'll think of that when I'm plodding speeding along it tomorrow :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Best of luck Anna, enjoy it and hope you have a great day.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

annapr wrote: »
    haha, I'm pretty sure I've never seen adults skipping in Fairview park :)

First time for everything ;-)

Best of luck for tomorrow, go get a speeding ticket !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Best of luck tomorrow Anna :D

thanks A, and congrats on your great result in Ballycotton!

the hike is 6 HOURS... which come to think of it will probably be about 8 miles... but lots of climbing... perfect recovery :eek:

Thanks Anna Good luck tomorrow give it socks ... Looking forward to your report !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Best of luck today !

53:25 on a beautiful day in bundoran. Scoffing scones and cake now! Delighted with that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Class, enjoy the post race cake. Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

53:25 on a beautiful day in bundoran. Scoffing scones and cake now! Delighted with that.

Well done Anna!
    Just discovered your log last night. Will have to get herself to track you as you're at very similar levels. Kinda like myself and Murphd!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Well done anna. Brilliant running from you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Brilliant! Well done Anna, enjoy post race cake & buzz :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Excellent, look forward to the report. Enjoy the cake!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Well done ! Nice PB :-)
    Enjoy the hike tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Well done, really pleased for you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Well done Anna, great time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

ben fatto. grande corsa :)

stesso vale per me

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    stesso vale per me

grazie! hope you're having a great time and not hanging out on boards!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Well done today, great result!

Figure I better get some kind of report done in case I fall into a bog hole on the mountain tomorrow and am never heard from again.

Today's 10k in Bundoran wasn't a goal race for me but as I haven't raced a 10k since Dec 2012, it would be a good indicator of current fitness. My target was sub-55 mins and with so many people here wishing me luck, I thought I bloody better hit that.

Arrived nice and early in Beautiful Bundoran (as the old song says) and parked near water world (one of the main attractions, along with the slot machines). Murph was doing the 10 mile which started at 11 and the 10k started at 11:30, so plenty of time for warm up, pit stops, etc.

It was sunny and blue skies, but cold and the wind was noticeable as runners gathered. After 2-3k warm up, with some token drills and strides, I headed for the start. It felt very strange to be surrounded by Donegal accents at a race.

I practiced some positive self motivation today -- thought about Jim McGuinness (my hero) and how he visualised the Sam Maguire at the front of the Donegal bus in 2012 so visualised myself finishing under 55 mins, happy and strong. :p

Anyhow, the race started, a bit congested but nothing major. The first km was downhill so didn't worry about the pace too much -- was aiming for 5:20-25/km. First 3k were bang on target, then we swung around onto the bypass -- merging with the 10 milers. Up to then, it was like being in the women's mini marathon (dare I mention it) but suddenly there was an influx of men! I was overtaken by a guy in a Lifford AC singlet and distracted myself by marvelling at his hairy shoulders for a few hundred meters.

The bypass seemed to go on forever... not the most interesting place to run, even with the mountains and hairy shoulders to look at. The sun was strong and there was a cross-wind but not too bad.

Hit 5k in 27 mins, so still on target but negative thoughts were starting to creep in... I banished them and started chatting to a woman from Ballyshannon. She was aiming for sub-60 and told me to go on, but she kept me going.

The bypass was an uphill drag with a bit of a hill towards the end of it. At the crest of that hill, there was a sign saying "Flat Course" -- :pac:

Finally got off the bloody bypass, sharing the roundabout with cars and trucks and back towards the town and the nicest part of the course was the last 3k. Through the KFC car park (!), then up a tough hill in the 8th kilometer, then onto the cliff path and a welcome downhill drag... that must have been the last hill, i hoped. Wrong. A steep hill brought us up to the 9k marker, but I was helped here by looking across Donegal Bay at Sliabh Liag and Cronorad, my spiritual home.

And it was all downhill from here. The last km was great fun, I flew down the hill, would have gone faster if it wasn't a bit congested on a narrow path, at the bottom, damn there's still 200m left, but could see the clock and made it in under 54:30.

Everything went well today. I paced it well and finished strong. Most important, the positive attitude really helped, lesson learned there for the future. Saw the lady I had chatted to afterwards and she thanked me for helping her come in under 55 too!

Very nice to meet Tang and family too.

And there was a great spread of cakes in the hall afterwards. Very friendly and well organised race, with a spectacular finish. pity about the bypass!

Chip time 53:25. Average pace of 5:20min/km; 8:36/mile. PB of >6 mins over my first 10k race.

Splits: 5:25, 5:17, 5:28, 5:23, 5:30, 5:23, 5:32, 5:20, 5:08, 4:59
    Position: 159 out of 481... and 5th in my ancient age category.

Now I have to visualise myself getting a good night's sleep and surviving the hike tomorrow... what was I thinking!? :eek:

• Advertisement

belcarra wrote: »
    Well done Anna!
    Just discovered your log last night. Will have to get herself to track you as you're at very similar levels. Kinda like myself and Murphd!

Haha, J, I think she's a good bit faster than me!!!

Advertisement