Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running in the Real World

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Urgently seeking out a toilet and wobbling legs pre race probably aren't indicative of having a good race experience at the best of times! You stuck it out and were dealing with the mind games, so there's mental positives there too, chalk the overall feeling up and use it as motivation to get a plan going. Even if you don't hit every session or achieve every mile (eugh - kilometre) and scheduled run, having that overall structure and progression with specific speedwork targets will do you the world of good. Hope you're feeling ok today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

So much good advice and counsel above and so reassuring that even the fast people have the same mad thoughts at mile 4! :)

I'm not disappointed about the performance yesterday, just annoyed with myself for being a lazy sh1te all year :p So now i'm going to try to be consistently consistent, in Younganne's immortal words :)

I have 3 weeks to the Cork HM, so not enough time to be anywhere near PB shape for that, but will use it to kick off training for the Race Series. Just realised that the Irish Runner 5 mile is less than a week later (duh). Going to start looking at HM plans now, to lead up to September, and make that the 'main thing'.

Monday 16 May: 5k Recovery
    5k @ 6:15; 3.1 mi @ 10:03

Took my newly committed, consistent self :p out the seafront right after work. Cooler evening than I expected, into a strong breeze on the way out. Still felt a bit lightheaded at times today but all was good on the run.

We got our tshirts at work for the Staff relay in the park on Thursday evening... high viz dayglo green... should be handy in case we lose anybody in the dark... we could be there til midnight! :D

racheljev wrote: »
    Hard luck Anna, sounds like you had a tough day out. It was fierce hot alright - I normally melt in the heat but I actually coped quite well with it yesterday. That said, the drag at miles 3-4 nearly finished me off. And when I realised we turned off it in the last lap, well I was a happy camper :) Onwards and upwards for the race series, good luck with your training.

You had a great day Rachel, delighted for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Sounds like a good plan ! Don't realise the 5 miler was so close! Might see you in cork ! Still on the fence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Sounds like a plan Anna need to make one of them myself also thinking of the Dublin series HM as a goal. Best of luck :)

• Advertisement

Tuesday: rest
    Wednesday: unexpected round trip to Letterkenny meant unplanned rest

Thursday: Dublin Staff Relay 5k Phoenix Park
    4.85 k @ 5:19; 3 mi @ 8:33

A gang from work headed to the park tonight to do this, all in our high viz gear. Big event, good atmosphere. Overheard some colleagues saying they thought they were signing up for a 1k relay... Nope, 5 X 5 k. Started at the acres, down the Khyber, up military hill, S bends, back up from St Mary's and round the acres again. Good practice for the race series 5 mile. I treated this more as a session than an all out race... Very enjoyable, although tough enough.

Spotted a few boardsies out there... Redrunner, Belcarra and Singer ... who had the foresight to bring beer with him (good planning) and who burst my happy sub-26 bubble by pointing out the course was short :p. And of course, BG was the anchor on one of the work teams, impressing everyone with her speed.

An RTE team won in 1:26... Speed must be one of their hiring criteria or something.

The park was glorious in the evening sunshine, all the new green, blossoms, deer. Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Well done last night Anna and thanks for the big shout out!:) I was struggling with the leg at that stage but there was no way I was stopping in front of everyone in the tented village. Your shout gave me that little boost I needed.

Yeah my watch had it at 3 miles exactly too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

How are you getting on Anna?

Younganne wrote: »
    How are you getting on Anna?

Hi Anne, short version: just when everything was going well, and I was getting back into it -- sick for a week, FFS. getting back to normal now.

Longer training update to follow...

Thanks for asking!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

annapr wrote: »
    Hi Anne, short version: just when everything was going well, and I was getting back into it -- sick for a week, FFS. getting back to normal now.

Longer training update to follow...

Thanks for asking!

Ah just in time:)

• Advertisement

Saturday, May 21: 7k easy
    7k @ 6:06; 4.3 mi @ 9:50

Dropped the boys to Gaa and headed out the seafront to the Bull Wall, a very brief heavy shower just missed me. Got back to find the youngest had caused havoc at training so might not be an option to abandon him and go for runs. Felt very irresponsible :p

Sunday, May 22
    I signed up for the Cork HM a while back, when D decided to do the full, but training has been very disrupted, so thought I would at least do longish runs each Sunday leading up to it, in the hopes of not making a show of myself on the day... All ready to do this one, but ended up having to go back to bed instead and was sick for the next week... Autoimmune thing that flares up every so often and has flu-like side effects... Too exhausted to do anything for a week...

Really bummed because it seems like every time I get my motivation back, something gets in the way.

Anyhow...

Saturday, May 28: Easy/recovery
    5k @ 6:30; 3.1 mi @ 10:28

Needed to get out to test the legs and see how I felt and didn't want to go a week without running. Felt good to be out, but a bit wobbly and shakey.

Sunday, May 29
    Considered trying to do that long run on Sunday, but resident coach advised not to. Which was just as well because I still wasn't right. We did go to a prep session of Albert College Junior parkrun... The park looked gorgeous, the volunteers are enthusiastic, looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Wednesday, June 1: 40 mins easy
    6.29 k @ 6:22; 3.9 mi @ 10:15

Inspired by Killerz article in the Irish Times about how having twins didn't stop him running (although as somebody pointed out he is a machine :)), I did not go out on Tuesday evening after reading it... But set the alarm for 6 on weds morning and headed out the seafront. Beautiful morning, plenty of runners about, felt like the energy levels were coming back and went to work feeling virtuous.

Thursday, June 2: 30 mins easy
    4.65K @ 6:27; 2.8 mi @ 10:24

Had a bit of an argument with myself this morning about whether to get out of bed or not, but my better side won... After about 10 mins, so left myself less time than yesterday. Stayed inland, admiring the trees on Griffith avenue.

Added some strides to both of these runs (not measured with FBOT precision). Felt great... Feeling back to normal finally.

So where does that leave me for Cork HM.... Not in good shape.... So I think i will do it as a training run, an easy jog around and try to enjoy it. Then from there get back on a plan for Fingal, Frank and Dublin half.

As I was out running yesterday morning, it hit me that it's not all about targets and PB's.... It's great to be able to get out and run (jog, whatever) :)

However, I am going to sleep in til 7 tomorrow, no point in overdoing it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Glad you are feeling more back to yourself. When is the Cork Half?

Ah go on, sleep in til 7:05. You know you want to :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Glad you're feeling better, yup it's about enjoying it too - don't mind killerz, he's just bonkers :D:D

Enjoy cork, it'll be nice to run it with no pressure and just soak up the atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

As I was out running yesterday morning, it hit me that it's not all about targets and PB's.... It's great to be able to get out and run (jog, whatever) :)

However, I am going to sleep in til 7 tomorrow, no point in overdoing it :p

This really made me smile :). It's great and admirable to have the time, the good health and the determination to train for targets and PBs and you've proved time and time again that you can do that.

There's also a time for relaxing and enjoying running again. I think sometimes we forget about the enjoyment that comes with running, especially this time of year. There's so much happening around us at this time of the year. If we're concentrating on sessions and watches all of the time, we forget to look around us and enjoy the scenery and the little signets in the rivers and canals.

The Cork half is going to be tough in this heat regardless of what pace you run it in. Enjoy it and soak it all up :) Hope you're feeling better and you had a good sleep this morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

So where does that leave me for Cork HM.... Not in good shape.... So I think i will do it as a training run, an easy jog around and try to enjoy it. Then from there get back on a plan for Fingal, Frank and Dublin half.

Wise decision, enjoy the run and the weekend away :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Ah Anna glad to hear you are all sorted and back to full health. You are right to enjoy the running and not stress about it too much. Enjoy the weekend and hope all goes to plan, weather look beautiful but maybe not for half & marathon running!!!:eek::eek:

Glad you are feeling more back to yourself. When is the Cork Half?

Ah go on, sleep in til 7:05. You know you want to :P

if only... think i've trained myself now to wake up earlier... :p

Younganne wrote: »
    Ah Anna glad to hear you are all sorted and back to full health. You are right to enjoy the running and not stress about it too much. Enjoy the weekend and hope all goes to plan, weather look beautiful but maybe not for half & marathon running!!!:eek::eek:

:pac: i know, this might be a very very slow HM! hopefully the marathon guys don't find it too hot...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

If Peachy turns up this year I'd say you'll find a bit of extra motivation and speed in the legs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Good luck on Monday Anna, even if just treating it as a training run.

• Advertisement

Enjoy the run on Monday Anna wise decision to listen to the body :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Best of luck Monday Anna. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

if only... think i've trained myself now to wake up earlier... :p

I know the feeling! If I don't wake up myself though, my cats are very good at letting me know it's breakfast time :pac:

All the best for tomorrow! Enjoy the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Have fun tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Have a good one tomorrow, A........after officiating at a junior parkrun I'd say the Half will be a doddle. ENJOY!!!

Best of luck tomorrow Anna.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Enjoy the day out tomorrow Anna....Good to be on your feet and out there running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Have a good one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck tomorrow Anna, hope the racing gods shine down on you*, run well.

*not that you need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Tough out there in that heat today I'd say Anna ...... and then they went and made it longer :eek: :eek:

Happy for you that it wasn't a target race. Hope you got to enjoy it :)

Advertisement