Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running in the Real World

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

aquinn wrote: »
    Oooh, day 3 done. What's today? Feeling ok. Yahoo, a plan.

I'm slightly disappointed as I thought it was 8 minute reps, looking forward to that one already :D

:eek: :eek: you trying to kill me altogether??? I'd have to go to donegal to get an 8-minute hill!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

annapr wrote: »
    :eek: :eek: you trying to kill me altogether??? I'd have to go to donegal to get an 8-minute hill!

Plenty of 8 min hills in Howth, just sayin'...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Yeaeeeeeee Anna, I'm so happy to see you wielding a plan and a race :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

That's a proper hill anyway! I lived out that way for a number of years, and did similar hill work on Grace Park Road from Griffith Avenue up to Collins avenue. The gradient is pretty consistent so perhaps another option..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

denis b wrote: »
    Nice work Annapr. Have to give full credit to TFGR for this one. Turns panic into order when under pressure.

Thats a tidy start to your week.

Actually, credit belongs to Myles Splitz. He told me to run 'comfortably uncomfortable' and my brain translated it to 'controlled uncomfortable'.

Either way, it worked on the day! :D

• Advertisement

Friday, 17; 47 min Very easy
    7.27K @ 6:28; 4.5mi @ 10:24
    Yes it was supposed to be 60 but I ran out of time.

Lower back sore, legs feeling it a bit. Very easy didn't feel very easy today.

Saturday, June 18: 22ish Min tempo
    8.1k @ 6:09; 5 mi @ 9:54

Plan says 25min tempo today. Worked out tempo pace as around 5:30/km (8:50/mile). The thought of 25 mins seemed very daunting.

Headed out to the seafront after the match (enjoyed a nap during it). Back sore, stomach felt bloated, and yes a little hungover. After about 2k warmup and trying to talk myself out of it, started the tempo.

Kept an eye on the pace on the watch, but once the pace was right tried to relax into it and didn't check the watch too much. I had convinced myself :cool: there's no way I could do 25 mins so focused on a Km at a time. Managed 4K, around 22 min.

Was wrecked at the end, walked for a minute to recover before jogging home slowly to cool down. Arrived home dripping sweat.

Probably felt harder than it should have, but it was warm and I don't have the base and it's week 1, so happy enough with that.

Tempo splits: 5:27, 5:29, 5:26, 5:38

Sunday, 19 June: 1:45 easy
    16k @ 6:25; 10 mi @ 10:19

Spent the morning at Albert College Junior parkrun, where D made his debut as run director. On my feet for hours! But thoroughly enjoyed it as usual, and our boys had a great time. They were very impressed with the clipboard and the megaphone (on loan from St Anne's, despite FBOT's reluctance, under the watchful eye of Mrs KennyG). Aquinn and KennyG limped off to be marshals and BG was the tail runner (unusual placing for her!). Mrs KennyG was generous as ever in pitching in and sharing her St Anne's experience.

Got out at about 3pm....Completely knackered for most of this run, bollixed. Luckily had Laura for company for her 80 min, otherwise would have bailed out for sure.

Up Malahide rd, from Artane to st Anne's, a lap of the parkrun course, back to Artane and home. Paused the watch crossing the Howth road and forgot to restart for a few mins, which means the official time is 1:42 and distance 9.8 mi.... But I know it was really 1:45 and over 10 miles. Rounded up in case the OCD brigade freaked out :D

Very humid and wet... Like running in a lukewarm bath.

Too tired to move now.... In an achey muscle, wish I could have a nap, self satisfied kind of way. Unfortunately I'm on dinner duty, hungry mouths to feed!

Week 1 complete... Other than 13 mins on Friday and 3 tempo mins yesterday, I'm calling that a win.

29.5 mi for the week. This might be a record for this year.

Too early to say I'm back on track, but enjoyed that week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Nice work Anna, keep it going.

Great start to the new plan Anna! You might not need that extra week after all !

Neady83 wrote: »
    Yeaeeeeeee Anna, I'm so happy to see you wielding a plan and a race :)
    tang1 wrote: »
    Nice work Anna, keep it going.
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Great start to the new plan Anna! You might not need that extra week after all !

Thanks guys, but I've had so many false starts this year, that I really am taking it a day at a time... And tomorrow's a rest day... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Fair play Anna and we get to congratulate you on your good work right through to next Tuesday :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Well done Anna- great start

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Looks like great weeks work, well done.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Friday, 17; 47 min Very easy
    7.27K @ 6:28; 4.5mi @ 10:24
    Yes it was supposed to be 60 but I ran out of time.

Lower back sore, legs feeling it a bit. Very easy didn't feel very easy today.

Saturday, June 18: 22ish Min tempo
    8.1k @ 6:09; 5 mi @ 9:54

Plan says 25min tempo today. Worked out tempo pace as around 5:30/km (8:50/mile). The thought of 25 mins seemed very daunting.

Headed out to the seafront after the match (enjoyed a nap during it). Back sore, stomach felt bloated, and yes a little hungover. After about 2k warmup and trying to talk myself out of it, started the tempo.

Kept an eye on the pace on the watch, but once the pace was right tried to relax into it and didn't check the watch too much. I had convinced myself :cool: there's no way I could do 25 mins so focused on a Km at a time. Managed 4K, around 22 min.

Was wrecked at the end, walked for a minute to recover before jogging home slowly to cool down. Arrived home dripping sweat.

Probably felt harder than it should have, but it was warm and I don't have the base and it's week 1, so happy enough with that.

Tempo splits: 5:27, 5:29, 5:26, 5:38

Sunday, 19 June: 1:45 easy
    16k @ 6:25; 10 mi @ 10:19

Spent the morning at Albert College Junior parkrun, where D made his debut as run director. On my feet for hours! But thoroughly enjoyed it as usual, and our boys had a great time. They were very impressed with the clipboard and the megaphone (on loan from St Anne's, despite FBOT's reluctance, under the watchful eye of Mrs KennyG). Aquinn and KennyG limped off to be marshals and BG was the tail runner (unusual placing for her!). Mrs KennyG was generous as ever in pitching in and sharing her St Anne's experience.

Got out at about 3pm....Completely knackered for most of this run, bollixed. Luckily had Laura for company for her 80 min, otherwise would have bailed out for sure.

Up Malahide rd, from Artane to st Anne's, a lap of the parkrun course, back to Artane and home. Paused the watch crossing the Howth road and forgot to restart for a few mins, which means the official time is 1:42 and distance 9.8 mi.... But I know it was really 1:45 and over 10 miles. Rounded up in case the OCD brigade freaked out :D

Very humid and wet... Like running in a lukewarm bath.

Too tired to move now.... In an achey muscle, wish I could have a nap, self satisfied kind of way. Unfortunately I'm on dinner duty, hungry mouths to feed!

Week 1 complete... Other than 13 mins on Friday and 3 tempo mins yesterday, I'm calling that a win.

29.5 mi for the week. This might be a record for this year.

Too early to say I'm back on track, but enjoyed that week.

I resemble that remark, A :p

I don't do reluctance. I do yes or no, black or white, right or wrong.............

Decent week, btw. Keep it up :)

Monday: rest

Tuesday: unplanned rest
    Didn't sleep well after watching GOT.... So couldn't drag myself out of bed early. Then couldn't get out of work early enough so time for running evaporated. Frustrated.

Wednesday: 60 min very easy
    9.3k @ 6:29; 5.7 mi @ 10:25

Felt like I was awake half the night, but of course asleep when the alarm jolted me at 6. Slowly, slowly out of the house and out to the seafront, lovely sunny morning with a welcome breeze. Wednesday is session day in the plan, but decided to push that off until tomorrow because of the unplanned rest yesterday.

Relaxed run this morning, listened to podcasts, enjoyed the seafront... And arrived home to a feverish 7 year old who can't go to school.

Thursday, 23rd: 6 X 3 min @ CV off 3 min recovery
    9.15k @ 6:11; 5.6 mi @ 9:57

Had to look up CV -- luckily the tinman calculator (link provided by Myles) gives paces for all the sessions.. I estimated my pace based on a 25min 5k... 5:04/km about 8:08/mi. Figured that was ambitious enough given where I am, even if not PB pace. Programmed the watch, charged it, tried to go to bed early...

When the alarm went off my inner demon was alert way before me.... You could do this later, morning's not great for a session, you're feeling very tired, etc. Somehow ignored all that and got myself out the door at about 6:30. On the warmup, I was feeling very sluggish and clunky, but decided to give it a go and see how I got on.

First rep, I had to slow myself down because I set off too fast... By the end of the 3 mins I was getting into the rhythm. As the reps went on, I became more and more comfortable with the pace and each 3 min seemed to fly past. The recoveries felt harder and longer than the intervals.

Really enjoyed this session, felt great during and after it. The pace felt challenging but almost comfortable (BG had the cheek to suggest it was probably too slow then).

Reps (min/Km): 5:04, 5:03, 4:56, 4:56, 5:00; 4:54 :D
    And in miles for those who voted 'leave': 8:09, 8:08, 7:56, 7:56, 8:03, 7:54

Friday, 24th: rest (in work for 8am, after work drove to Donegal, that took care of time for running... Could have jogged behind the car to Blanch I suppose as the traffic was so slow).

Saturday, 25th: Dungloe parkrun
    3.28mi @ 8:34, 5:28 km @ 5:19
    (Yes the course seemed a little long, partly my own fault)

Left the boys with Granny and headed to the Rosses... Granny of course looked out at the light drizzle and said, 'you're hardly going to run in that weather.' :p The sky was low and grey going over the hills, but with a hint that it might lift and eventually be a nice day. Over the lovely Gweebarra and arrived at Lidl in Dungloe with about 5 mins to spare. The entrance to the parkrun is well signposted across the road and we found the start easily, meeting a couple of Crusaders on tour and some of the local stalwarts.

It's a lovely location and course, 3 loops of a forest/loch side/bog, on a nice gravel path. My plan had a threshold session down for today, so decided to do this at close to threshold pace if I could (5:15-5:30/km).

Us 'strangers' (as we say around here) were welcomed by the run director, then we were off. D and the Cru crew sped off to the front.

Loop 1: A young GAA girl wearing headphones sped past me and I thought to myself, I'll get her before the end. It wasn't long before the runners were well spread out but I kept her in my sights along with another guy who was just ahead of her. The lack of a warmup meant I started feeling awkward and ungainly and it felt a bit too fast... Settled into it then, the gravel path was a nice surface, the loop had a bit of an uphill drag (nothing major) in the first half, followed by a nice downhill towards the eventual finish area.

Loop 2: the disadvantage of driving for an hour to get to a parkrun that has no toilet facility is... Well, let's put it this way, I spent most of this loop wondering if there was somewhere I could step off the course briefly...

Loop 3: feeling good now, GAA girl and the other guy were coming back to me (as the fast people around here like to say). I took her on the far side of the loop... Wondering if she would revive later and make me pay. I could hear the guy ahead grunting and he sounded in difficulty. I thought don't take him too soon or he will catch you again... I knew there was a nice downhill coming so passed him just before that and let loose a bit more on the downhill. Could hear his grunts retreating into the distance, so I thought I had probably put enough distance between us that he wouldn't catch me at the finish.

The watch beeped 5k...

Then I had my yaboya moment... Saw the finish line ahead and the volunteers gathered, turned left towards it only for the path to finish at the bloody river... It was a parallel left turn which of course I hadn't noticed on the first two loops. Sh1t!! They were all shouting at me from across the river, turned back around and onto the main path, could hear grunty guy accelerating behind me, turned left and it's about 30m uphill to the Finish... And yer man is now SPRINTING and catching up with me, volunteers and other runners shouting at us, had to balance going all out with the risk of a full bladder :eek:, and the bastid passed me just before the finish. Very unsporting of him, I thought.

D said I looked very annoyed at the end... It's not a race, it's a timed run... I love parkrun, but still.... Very annoyed with myself. D told me afterwards that the guy who came second also went down my detour path. Oh well.

Anyhow, I came 2nd female, 7th overall (but should have been 6th) and it was my first ever parkrun podium finish :pac: :pac: Had to get out of there fast afterwards because I was being eaten alive by midges...

Fair play to the volunteers, small turnout but lovely event. 'Hard to get people around here up early on a Saturday, sometimes more strangers than locals,' the run director told us!

Splits: 5:17, 5:20, 5:33, 5:32, 5:01 (4:56)
    Miles: 8:29, 8:49, 8:37 (7:44)

Another good week, Anna...this is getting to be a habit :D. Congrats on the podium placing. As for those the 5K reps - very consistent. Does your programme include a 5K race ? Might to be time to revise your PB ;).

Hi Anna - nice week of training . Fingal should fall nicely in place!

Very consistent pacing for your intervals - I think your fitter than you give yourself credit for !

I have to ask and I'm sure it's blatantly obvious but what's CV pace?

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Another good week, Anna...this is getting to be a habit :D. Congrats on the podium placing. As for those the 5K reps - very consistent. Does your programme include a 5K race ? Might to be time to revise your PB ;).

The plan does include a parkrun or two... i haven't really raced a 5k in a year (when aquinn nearly killed me and i got my pb), but will definitely want to go for it either during this training block or after the HM. Maybe my next plan will lead to Jingle Bells :)
    Bluesquare wrote: »
    Hi Anna - nice week of training . Fingal should fall nicely in place!

Very consistent pacing for your intervals - I think your fitter than you give yourself credit for !

I have to ask and I'm sure it's blatantly obvious but what's CV pace?

It certainly wasn't blatantly obvious to me... but the plan that Myles Splitz posted on the 2015 graduates thread uses this calculator for paces: http://www.runningprs.com/runnerscalculator.htm

i'm assuming CV stands for cardiovascular? but who knows. It's a simple calculator and I've decided to follow the plan without questioning it too much, Myles knows what he's doing.

It's interesting about whether I am fitter than I think... I was wondering about that while doing the intervals* the other day. I was very consistent in my training last year and all the PB's came with that, and I was wondering whether you go back to square one when you don't train as consistently, or does the fitness come back quicker than if you were starting from scratch... I'm starting to think it's the latter, but time will tell!

*the fact that i was able to think deep thoughts while doing intervals does suggest I should be doing them a little faster :)

The plan does include a parkrun or two... i haven't really raced a 5k in a year (when aquinn nearly killed me and i got my pb), but will definitely want to go for it either during this training block or after the HM. Maybe my next plan will lead to Jingle Bells :)

It certainly wasn't blatantly obvious to me... but the plan that Myles Splitz posted on the 2015 graduates thread uses this calculator for paces: http://www.runningprs.com/runnerscalculator.htm

i'm assuming CV stands for cardiovascular? but who knows. It's a simple calculator and I've decided to follow the plan without questioning it too much, Myles knows what he's doing.

It's interesting about whether I am fitter than I think... I was wondering about that while doing the intervals* the other day. I was very consistent in my training last year and all the PB's came with that, and I was wondering whether you go back to square one when you don't train as consistently, or does the fitness come back quicker than if you were starting from scratch... I'm starting to think it's the latter, but time will tell!

*the fact that i was able to think deep thoughts while doing intervals does suggest I should be doing them a little faster :)

Yeah - u definitely need to speed up the intervals!! For the record I think fitness comes back quicker especially if the legs have been ticking over .

Sunday, 26th: 1:47 min easy
    16.5k @ 6:29; 10.2 mi @ 10:26

Last Sunday I was feeling knackered, today felt energetic going out. Maybe a sign of progress. Headed out over our favourite big hill, joined by D for the first 30 mins, then on by myself. Lovely cool drizzle but almost zero visibility, so no nice views to distract.

Usually see nobody on this road, but I was mixed up with a 30k local fundraising cycle for several miles, so there were lots of cheery hello's. I turned for home and the cyclists were still passing me... As I came down the other side of the big hill, I saw a gaggle of cyclists halfway down -- a young fella came off his bike on the downhill, a dog ran out in front of him. Luckily he was fine.

All the cyclists in all their gear made me think of how we used to go off on long cycles when we were kids, not a helmet to be seen, who knows whether we had brakes that worked or gears! Yes, I know I am ancient.

A bit tired by the end of this, but thoughts of the Belfast 24hr guys bucked me up. Could not imagine doing this for 24 hours... :eek:

24.99 miles for the week :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

24.99 miles? I can't bring myself to thank this post. I weep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

laura_ac3 wrote: »

24.99 coming out in cold sweat ..... That should be 25 !!!! Great going Anna congrats on the podium finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    24.99 coming out in cold sweat ..... That should be 25 !!!! Great going Anna congrats on the podium finish.

Don't panic, it's obviously Strava cutting it off.

It's fine. She really ran 25 miles.

Deep breath.

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    aquinn wrote: »
    Don't panic, it's obviously Strava cutting it off.

It's fine. She really ran 25 miles.

Deep breath.
    laura_ac3 wrote: »

Could be worse. Could have been in Km :eek:

Monday 27th : planned rest

Tuesday 28th: 60 minutes VERY easy
    9.14K @ 6:34; 5.6 mi @ 10:34

Lovely evening on the sea front, Dun Laoghaire briefly shining white like MInas Tirith across the bay. Relaxed run, congratulated myself at taking it easy, then got a shock when the watch beeped and I saw how slow I was. But that's the way it's supposed to work, trust the plan and all that.

Wednesday, Thursday... I'm sure I had good reasons at the time for not getting out, but damned if I can remember what they were.

Friday 1st July: 56 min very easy
    9k @ 6:14; 5.5mi @ 10:03
    Out the seafront, very enjoyable on well rested legs.

Saturday, Sunday. Nada. See Weds, Thurs for details.

I'm writing off last week as my spare week in the plan, so doing week 3 this week.

Monday, July 4: Rest and travel to Bavaria, near beautiful Garmisch.

Tuesday, July 5: jogging mit Veronika (57 min)
    8.35k @ 6:53; 5.1 mi @ 11:04

This was advertised in the hotel activities, so at 10 am we joined Veronika, down a lovely wooded trail around a very scenic castle where Obama stayed last year and back up to the hotel. Always a worry for me that a group will be too fast, but the only other jogger was intimidated by my half marathon shirt so I had nothing to worry about. Very warm and very hilly. Resolved to go out earlier tomorrow.

Cross training: a little hike up to a nearby Alm (which I discovered means alpine pasture, that explains why there are so many of them around here). As we were hiking up, D says, would you not prefer to run. Eh no, it's a different vibe altogether. The beer garden at the top was closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. Sadly.

Wednesday, July 6: session day!
    8 x 1 min hills off 3 min recovery. 7 km/4.3 mi total

Scoped out an appropriate hill during the easy run yesterday and there were many to choose from. D decided to join me, we did about 15 min warmup before getting to the right spot and hitting go on the watch. I messed up the first one by stopping when I got to the top of the hill (where it flattened a little) so really only did 7.5.

D tried to convince me we were on number 4 when we were actually on 5 (he's no Duanington either), thankfully the watch disagreed with him too.

No idea of the paces, we were on a very wooded trail so the distances varied a lot, even though I stopped at the same point each time. We both agreed it was a tough workout and jogged home for breakfast.

Cross-training... Another lovely hike this afternoon through the Partnach gorge and up to a very scenic beer garden, this one was open. Happy day, so civilised.

Thursday, July 7: very easy (51 min)
    7.7k @ 6:41; 4.7 mi @ 10:45

Out by myself this morning, considered making this a rest day but as soon as I looked outside and sniffed the lovely fresh air, I was inspired to get going. Did the same loop as Tuesday... Breathing felt very laboured, the air is definitely thinner up here. Legs felt completely niggle free (other than my very attractive itchy bites) but I realised early on that I didn't have much energy... Pleasantly tired after the last few days.

I had the forest trail to myself on the way down, just the birdsong, the pine trees and me puffing along. And every so often, I'd look up to see the dramatic mountains through the trees... So many breathtaking views on this route. It is truly beautiful here. Very lucky to be here.

The plan says 60 min very easy but with the effort, the hills and the altitude (OK, only 1,000m/3,500 ft but still), I'm happy with my 50+ min.

Sounds amazing Anna, enjoy the rest of altitude training and a little rest.:)

All best tomorrow Anna, have a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck tomorrow Anna, run well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Good luck at the race, A! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

+1! have a super race :)

Advertisement