Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running in the Real World

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Great to see you back Anna. Happy New Year, great set of goals.
    I always assume on Strava if its an uneven number that Strava just ate the last bit!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Happy New Year Anna - an unplanned but excellent over-and-back-inspiration-double-whammy, it seems :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Good to see you back Anna and I am liking your highlights for the year, I'm liking your glass half full attitude, many of us could take the glass half empty approach, but it's the good times that keep us coming back for more.... happy running for 2017

Thanks A, to be honest I think I let myself get way too negative too quickly in 2016 so trying to change that, it doesn't do any good!
    Younganne wrote: »
    Great to see you back Anna. Happy New Year, great set of goals.
    I always assume on Strava if its an uneven number that Strava just ate the last bit!!!;)

Hah, I'm going to use that from now on... I always say it's an even number of Km! :)
    nop98 wrote: »
    Happy New Year Anna - an unplanned but excellent over-and-back-inspiration-double-whammy, it seems :)

Exactly Nop..... i think... :p

January 1: 45 mins easy
    7k @ 6:27; 4.3mi @ 10:23

A bit sluggish, but psychologically important to run on the first day of the year. Beautiful sunny cold morning, admired a rainbow which was quickly followed by a cold shower of course :)

23.2 miles for the week, my first 20+ miles week since... forever.

Went public and posted these goals on the goals thread....

2017 goals (after an under-performing, inconsistent 2016)

1. Consistency
    2. H1 rebuild base
    3. Lose a stone (1 & 2 should help)
    4. H2 get back closer to 2015 pb's (depends on 1, 2 & 3)
    5. Get my 50 parkruns tshirt (at 37 now I think)
    6. Run in every country or county I visit (at least overnight)
    7. Try something different -- IMRA, trails....?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

I'll say it before BG does.....

7. Try something different -- cross country

:)

• Advertisement

laura_ac3 wrote: »

:eek: what have they done to the Laura I used to know.... ?

I will enjoy watching XC... if I am going to experience mud, etc., I'd rather be up a hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Took the words right outta my mouth :pac::pac::pac:

annapr wrote: »
    :eek: what have they done to the Laura I used to know.... ?

I will enjoy watching XC... if I am going to experience mud, etc., I'd rather be up a hill.

XC has hills!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

January 1: 45 mins easy
    7k @ 6:27; 4.3mi @ 10:23

A bit sluggish, but psychologically important to run on the first day of the year. Beautiful sunny cold morning, admired a rainbow which was quickly followed by a cold shower of course :)

23.2 miles for the week, my first 20+ miles week since... forever.

Went public and posted these goals on the goals thread....

2017 goals (after an under-performing, inconsistent 2016)

1. Consistency
    2. H1 rebuild base
    3. Lose a stone (1 & 2 should help)
    4. H2 get back closer to 2015 pb's (depends on 1, 2 & 3)
    5. Get my 50 parkruns tshirt (at 37 now I think)

I've literally just registered on www.imra.ie - it's only a tenner for annual membership, go on go on go on :D

Oh and yes, do some BHAA XC races, you won't regret it, that's a promise :p

I've literally just registered on www.imra.ie - it's only a tenner for annual membership, go on go on go on :D

Oh and yes, do some BHAA XC races, you won't regret it, that's a promise :p

Oooh, very tempting...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Ha ha Anna if you will I will !!!!

Ha ha Anna if you will I will !!!!

You're safe so, Mrs Mc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Good luck with the goals, Anna! I hope 2017 is really good to you. Happy New Year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Happy New Year Anna :) Best of luck with ticking all these boxes in 2017.

I was just looking back on my goals for 2016 and you happened to mention in there somewhere that you were putting the Clare Burren Marathon on your bucket list http://www.clareburrenmarathonchallenge.com/full_marathon.html

May 27th is the date for this year :) That'd be two boxes ticked with one event.

Neady83 wrote: »
    Happy New Year Anna :) Best of luck with ticking all these boxes in 2017.

I was just looking back on my goals for 2016 and you happened to mention in there somewhere that you were putting the Clare Burren Marathon on your bucket list http://www.clareburrenmarathonchallenge.com/full_marathon.html

May 27th is the date for this year :) That'd be two boxes ticked with one event.

:pac: :pac: would yiz all just stop, I only have one week of easy running under my belt... but yes, definitely on my list... and it's up a mountain, I remember your report! :)

Monday: Rest

Tuesday: 45 minutes easy
    6.6k @ 6:50; 4 mi @ 11:00

Slightly hungover and slow, sluggish run before breakfast around the shores of Loch Erne with D... with lots of steep hills to puff up. Can this count as my hill sprints for the week too, I wonder, even though sprint is not a word that applies.

Treated to the sight of 3 swans coming in to land on the Loch right over our heads, they are such ungainly looking birds in flight but very impressive.

Wednesday: another 45ish min easy
    7k @ 6:35; 4.3 mi @ 10:35

First day back at work, lots of Operation Transformation inspirational emails flying around, encouraging everyone to try parkrun, etc. No getting away from it, I signed up to get myself weighed every Friday :eek:

Late getting out of the office but a run date with Laura_ac meant I couldn't follow my worst instincts and skip running. Started from Laura's and did one of her regular loops down to Raheny, around the edge of St Anne's and back. Lovely cold and chatty run. Home to an OT-style dinner. #stillsohungry

No getting away from it, I signed up to get myself weighed every Friday :eek:
    Home to an OT-style dinner. #stillsohungry

Nooooooh. You need to eat ALL the things now so that you're artificially up for the first Friday, then you will be the super star of weight loss the next week!:D

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Nooooooh. You need to eat ALL the things now so that you're artificially up for the first Friday, then you will be the super star of weight loss the next week!:D

It's ok, Indian food and wine tonight, that should do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Dry January here we come.
    It's ok, Indian food and wine tonight, that should do it!

Good to see I'm not the only one who has failed at the dry January attempts.;)

Ferris B wrote: »
    Good to see I'm not the only one who has failed at the dry January attempts.;)

It was a deliberate strategy, with BG's coaching, to artificially inflate the first week's weigh in :eek: back on the straight and narrow now.

• Advertisement

Thursday, Friday: Rest
    Probably should have gone out on Friday, but 4 days is fine for this week.

Saturday: St Anne's parkrun
    28:24, 5K @ 5:40 approx.

Sociable spin around St. Anne's, slow start due to congestion (450 participants) but pushed it a bit in the second lap... reminding myself that I will have to do 5miles at a faster pace in Raheny in a couple of weeks. The garmin went a bit haywire in the first km, I glanced at it after the first turn while chatting and it was about 7 min pace... then it beeped the first Km at 4:21! Ha, I wish. It calmed down after that and I think the last couple of Km were close to my planned (aspirational) 5 mile pace.

Sunday: 90 mins easy
    13.7k @ 6:34; 8.5 mi @ 10:34

Volunteered at Albo juniors, then met Laura for longish run... down from Raheny through St Anne's, out to the end of the Bull Wall and back. By the end I was knackered, despite the easy pace, and counting down the seconds to 90 mins. Legs are feeling it now. Just figured out that's my longest run since Dublin HM in September.

Quick turnaround then to chauffeur D to the Dublin Masters xc, back in St Anne's. I love watching this race, but nothing about watching it makes me even slightly inclined to try XC, ever. Lots of pain on faces, increasing in every lap... but well done everyone, looking forward to reading the reports.

This week: 32.3Km/20.1 mi (second consecutive 20 mile week, woop woop)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Great to see your back running Anna, best of luck with your goals in 2017. Have you any goal races that you would like to tell us about?

jake1970 wrote: »
    Great to see your back running Anna, best of luck with your goals in 2017. Have you any goal races that you would like to tell us about?

Thanks L, but No! :p

Seriously, I'm trying to take it one week at a time and see how it goes. I'm doing the Raheny 5 mile but with low expectations. I'd love another go at Terenure too, to make up for last year...

and then there's the summer... and then October... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Seriously, I'm trying to take it one week at a time and see how it goes. I'm doing the Raheny 5 mile but with low expectations. I'd love another go at Terenure too, to make up for last year...

Great to see you back at it with a bit of consistency. Steady as she goes.

BTW I hear D is spearheading a road trip to Charleville in September so there's something to squeeze in between the summer and October :D

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Great to see you back at it with a bit of consistency. Steady as she goes.

BTW I hear D is spearheading a road trip to Charleville in September so there's something to squeeze in between the summer and October :D

Yes. I did hear a rumour, there might even be room for me in the car! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

October ???? You going again ???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

October ???? You going again ???

I've a feeling she was hoping that nobody would twig that little hint she dropped in there ;)

Neady83 wrote: »
    I've a feeling she was hoping that nobody would twig that little hint she dropped in there ;)

I thought it was quite subtle :p

Seriously, I have no plans at this stage other than week to week... but I would love to do it again.... might have to get rid of job, kids, etc, to have the time... :rolleyes:

Week of January 9

Monday: Rest (planned)

Tuesday: Rest (lack of sleep/work/procrastination)

Wednesday: 5 * 2 min @ 5k, off 3 min recovery
    7k @ 6:47; 4.3 mi @ 10:55

Set the alarm for 6 this morning... but couldn't convince myself to get up. Decided I needed the extra hour in bed, but of course the boys woke up... so no run, no sleep :p.

Instead, headed out about an hour after dinner... knew I would regret the onions at some point. But what with all the calorie counting this week, I had to eat first or I would have fainted.

First session of the plan. Look away anyone doing tough sessions, this is a baby one. Considered the sea front, but the wind was cold so did the intervals on a stretch of Griffith Ave, where I wouldn't have to cross any roads.

Planned pace was 5:00/km, all programmed into my trusty garmin -- realised shortly into the first one that the tree cover was playing havoc with the watch so focused on effort. The first one felt too fast (it was), second and third more controlled, fourth hard and fifth a struggle. I kept telling myself, it's only 2 mins, you can do anything for 2 mins :) I jogged the recoveries, until the last 2 where I walked a minute.

Delighted with how that went. Treating myself to a chocolate rice cake now because of the extra calories burned. :D. Sneezing like crazy since I got home though, maybe I'm allergic to sessions :)

Splits: 4:46, 5:02, 4:59, 5:06, 5:23
    Ok, so the last one was a fail.

Oh and I got to inaugurate my new Mizunos... half price online because they are shocking pink :)

• Advertisement

A session! What fun :D. Good call to avoid the seafront. Wind was mental on the return leg. Also dogs off the lead everywhere :rolleyes: Had to stop 3 times for various canine incidents.

Advertisement