Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running in the Real World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Brilliant running anna! Great day for a hike too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Well done Anna. Nice to come in ahead of your goal as well. More to come. Have you decided what plan you'll follow for cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Very impressive splits there - very strong finish. Congratulations, great running

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Duanington wrote: »
    Very impressive splits there - very strong finish. Congratulations, great running

Thanks D, the downhill at the end helped a lot!

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Well done Anna. Nice to come in ahead of your goal as well. More to come. Have you decided what plan you'll follow for cork?

Thanks Laura. I need to look at the plans again. I'm thinking I might just stick with the Clearlier one... It'll take me almost all the way there and it certainly worked for you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Nice PB and great pacing. If that's what you can do on three weeks proper training ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

annapr wrote: »
    Thanks Laura. I need to look at the plans again. I'm thinking I might just stick with the Clearlier one... It'll take me almost all the way there and it certainly worked for you!

I tweaked a couple of the last long runs to bring me up closer to HM distance. I think pacing mule asked a question about that a few weeks ago as well for his bohermeen preparation and clearlier gave some advice on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Haha, J, I think she's a good bit faster than me!!!

Not at all! Just ran a 10km this morning and she finished in 52:49 so yous are very close and well matched!
    Just inform Murph he's got a 43:11 in him! ;-)

belcarra wrote: »
    Not at all! Just ran a 10km this morning and she finished in 52:49 so yous are very close and well matched!
    Just inform Murph he's got a 43:11 in him! ;-)

Excellent, well done R! Us nordies have to stick together anyways! I'm sure Murph will have no bother shaving a few mins off his 10k time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Brilliant Anna, well done. Delighted for you.
    Let me know if free at the weekend for a neighborly runabout.

• Advertisement

Week of March 9:
    16:23 miles/26.13 km running -- step back in miles compared to last week, happy enough with that though, considering the 10k race was there.
    MTD:44:54 mi/71.68 km
    YTD:135.31 mi/217.75 km

Hiking: 4.93 miles in 3h 26 mins.
    Blistering (pun intended) pace of almost 42 mins per mile :) 400m elevation gain and very slow pace with lots of stops... too slow for me and really really cold with a strong, bitter wind. Went ankle deep into a bog hole about 20 minutes into it and never recovered any warmth after that. However, I'm not complaining -- have to expect muck and bog holes and wet feet if you're on a mountain :) And the views were worth it.

Some of the absolute best hiking in Ireland around here and relatively undiscovered. No ill effects from the 10k the day before. All the same, I was glad when my three hiking companions enthusiastically agreed to wimp out and go down with the B group, instead of going up another mountain with the A group.

Warmed up with a lovely pint and seafood chowder by the fire in Nancy's in Ardara afterwards -- worth getting the feet wet for that!

A couple of the guides were mountain rescue volunteers... those people are amazing, completely voluntary and underfunded by the state. Kudos to them.

aquinn wrote: »
    Brilliant Anna, well done. Delighted for you.
    Let me know if free at the weekend for a neighborly runabout.

thanks A... will do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Well done on the PB Saturday Anna, great running on far from a 'flat' course, lovely to meet you to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Congrats on the 10k. Nicely done!

Congrats on the 10k. Nicely done!

Thanks AMK, well done on the sub-18 yourself!

Monday, 16th March -- 50:54 mins easy; 5.13 mi/8.26km

Those numbers are especially for the OCD crowd around here, not a round number to be seen :)

Nice easy-ish run around the local loop here in the hills. For once, no wind noticeable... yaay. I am so tempted to find a mucky trail to christen the trail runners (not hard to do around here) but today should be a rest day before heading back to 'civilisation'.

Wednesday, 18th March: Fartlek
    4.98mi/8.01km avg: 9:06/mi, 5:39/k

My days are all mixed up -- took Tues as rest day, so did the Tuesday session yesterday... for this session, the highly detailed Clearlier plan simply said: Fartlek

After googling what exactly a Fartlek is (yes, my knowledge is that basic), I decided to go with alternating medium/fast pace with recovery pace.

Warmed up jogging out to the sea front, then did intervals, picking off various sea front landmarks, without any regard to the watch, other than pressing the lap button. I tried to keep some of them at 5k pace, others faster, and slow recovery until I felt like another one... but had no idea of pace until I looked at the details afterwards, and all of them were faster than my 5k pace (c. 8 min/mi).

splits were: 6:58, 7:34, 6:50, 7:51, 7:26, 6:51, 7:49, 7:28, 7:11, 7:24
    recoveries were 9-9:57.

I was shocked to see a 6 on some of these... even if they were only for 30 seconds or so! Longest one was 1:33 @ 7:49.

No idea whether this is the right way to do these, but it was a very enjoyable session.

...and it was a good to be alive, skip off school, abandon responsibilities (if only), gorgeous spring day...

Thursday -- Hill Sprints
    2.82 miles/4.54Km

Found my way through foggy Fairview Park and spotted Bungy Girl in the mist. She led the way as always and says we did 8 repeats -- 9/10 secs with 2-3 mins standing recovery.

My legs are feeling a bit tired after all the various exertions since saturday, but all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Nice splits!
    Found my way through foggy Fairview Park and spotted Bungy Girl in the mist. She led the way as always and says we did 8 repeats -- 9/10 secs with 2-3 mins standing recovery

I forgot to count them up afterwards on the watch but it was deffo 8. Felt like 8 ! My legs are a bit battered too, will be hitting the foam roller later.

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Nice splits!

I forgot to count them up afterwards on the watch but it was deffo 8. Felt like 8 ! My legs are a bit battered too, will be hitting the foam roller later.

It was definitely 8, the Garmin never lies!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Nicely done Amber, you'll be leaving auld Murph in your slipstream soon. :)

TbL

• Advertisement

Nicely done Amber, you'll be leaving auld Murph in your slipstream soon. :)

TbL

Haha! Well I do have age on my side (compared to Murph at least)! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Sounds like the fartlek session was perfect to me! You had fun and the splits/recovery weren't too widely apart (like interval training) which for me nails it. Nice :) (*Amber* :D )
    Ps fwiw, pretty sure there's no absolute *right* way of doing fartlek...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Wednesday, 18th March: Fartlek
    4.98mi/8.01km avg: 9:06/mi, 5:39/k

My days are all mixed up -- took Tues as rest day, so did the Tuesday session yesterday... for this session, the highly detailed Clearlier plan simply said: Fartlek

After googling what exactly a Fartlek is (yes, my knowledge is that basic), I decided to go with alternating medium/fast pace with recovery pace.

Warmed up jogging out to the sea front, then did intervals, picking off various sea front landmarks, without any regard to the watch, other than pressing the lap button. I tried to keep some of them at 5k pace, others faster, and slow recovery until I felt like another one... but had no idea of pace until I looked at the details afterwards, and all of them were faster than my 5k pace (c. 8 min/mi).

recoveries were 9-9:57.

I was shocked to see a 6 on some of these... even if they were only for 30 seconds or so! Longest one was 1:33 @ 7:49.

No idea whether this is the right way to do these, but it was a very enjoyable session.

...and it was a good to be alive, skip off school, abandon responsibilities (if only), gorgeous spring day...

Thursday -- Hill Sprints
    2.82 miles/4.54Km

Found my way through foggy Fairview Park and spotted Bungy Girl in the mist. She led the way as always and says we did 8 repeats -- 9/10 secs with 2-3 mins standing recovery.

My legs are feeling a bit tired after all the various exertions since saturday, but all good.
    Glad you had to google it Anna thought you had crossed over to the dark side !!!! Need to study up on the terminology myself !

Saturday: 11km/6.84 mi in 68 min
    9:58/mi, 6:11/km

Was hoping to get a 90 min LSR in today but had to squeeze this in between kids GAA, a trip to Co Down, etc! Tried to connect up with aquinn but the logistics were too daunting. I did see her zipping past me on the seafront as I headed out.

Tried to keep this very easy and I felt sluggish and slow (helped by a slight hangover and not enough sleep!). Went out the coast from the GAA Club, did a perimeter of St Anne's and back. Beautiful day for running. Discovered some trails in St Anne's I had never been on before. Love that park.

Pace is still a bit fast, on the high side of recommended easy pace.

Garmin gave me an elevation gain of 150m! Would have had to start from the bottom of dublin bay for that!

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Sounds like the fartlek session was perfect to me! You had fun and the splits/recovery weren't too widely apart (like interval training) which for me nails it. Nice :) (*Amber* :D )
    Ps fwiw, pretty sure there's no absolute *right* way of doing fartlek...

Thanks oh wise one, good to know.

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Glad you had to google it Anna thought you had crossed over to the dark side !!!! Need to study up on the terminology myself !

:) we will be throwing jargon around in no time, A!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Hi Annapr,

I am not a regular poster on these threads just a regular reader! I am following your log with great interest as you seem to be progressing at the same pace as me doing a similar pace as well!( maybe wishful thinking on my behalf ) Congrats on your great race ! Look forward to reading how your progress continues !

Bluesquare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Not zipping, will be scolded for that. Nice and comfortable.

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Hi Annapr,

I am not a regular poster on these threads just a regular reader! I am following your log with great interest as you seem to be progressing at the same pace as me doing a similar pace as well!( maybe wishful thinking on my behalf ) Congrats on your great race ! Look forward to reading how your progress continues !

Bluesquare

Hi Bluesquare, thanks and welcome! I see you have taken the plunge to start your own log, that's great. We can help pace each other :)

• Advertisement

aquinn wrote: »
    Not zipping, will be scolded for that. Nice and comfortable.

Yep that's what I meant. In fact, you were gliding past so serenely I wasn't sure it was you :p

Advertisement