Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running in the Real World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Well done Anna, enjoyed the report. There's something to bring with you to the marathon, just keep going all the way until the end and don't be left wondering!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Well done Anna, that was a great time. Did you do a HM before your 2015 DCM - how does it compare?

Maybe i'm wrong but it doesn't sound like you gave up on the PB, it sounds more like you didn't know it was on the cards because of the confusion with the watch which was a bit of a head-wreck that you didn't need, maths in no fun in the middle of a tough run/race :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Well done, +1 to all of the above. I think we all do an extended remix of "shoulda woulda coulda" after a race (I mean you've read some of my reports!) so of course you're going to dissect it. Hitting your B goal is great, and it gives you a decent target for DCM. And fair play for getting back in time to see the mighty Dubs - hopefully the ladies will make it a double this Sunday. (I'm chuckling at the idea of D trading his NYQ for a 3 in a row - at around 64 mins I was willing to trade a pb next Saturday AND in New York for a win!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

Well done and a fine report, I liked the idea there of partnering up with someone with the agreement not to talk to help each other hold pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Well done Anna, looked strong right to the line, good result, only a few more week for the real fun :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Congrats and well done - a good day all round!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Well done Anna, B goal is a great result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Well done on the HM Anna, also there are some of us jealous of all that long-running you are doing, remember that the next time you are flagging!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

A real spring in your step these days Anna and plenty of weeks of decent training under your belt. The rumination is a good sign, and not unreasonable, and you did at least acknowledge that you were happy with the result. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

OOnegative wrote: »
    Well done Anna, B goal is still a good day IMO, it's a run that will only make you stronger heading towards DCM.

Thanks B, hopefully you're right!
    Well done Anna :) the ole head really does get in the way sometimes, someone should invent an off switch for racing. Onwards now to the goal race!

Hah, yes, I kept my brain switched off for about 9 miles... have to practice doing it for longer :p
    Younganne wrote: »
    Well done Anna, enjoyed the report. There's something to bring with you to the marathon, just keep going all the way until the end and don't be left wondering!!!:D

That's a phrase to remember!
    ariana` wrote: »
    Well done Anna, that was a great time. Did you do a HM before your 2015 DCM - how does it compare?

Maybe i'm wrong but it doesn't sound like you gave up on the PB, it sounds more like you didn't know it was on the cards because of the confusion with the watch which was a bit of a head-wreck that you didn't need, maths in no fun in the middle of a tough run/race :rolleyes:

Thanks Ariana, yeah the calculations get harder as the race goes on for sure :rolleyes: I didn't do a HM during 2015 marathon training... well I started the Dublin Half but DNF-ed because I wasn't feeling well. So I suppose it's better than that :).

My HM PB is Cork in June 2015... best block of training I ever did, the 2014 graduates thread plan.

• Advertisement

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Well done ! Nice time and a good boost ahead of Dublin ! Are you going to follow a pacer in Dublin ?
    diego_b wrote: »
    Well done and a fine report, I liked the idea there of partnering up with someone with the agreement not to talk to help each other hold pace.

Thanks BS and D... I followed the 4:10 pacers in 2015 and it worked really well, was able to leave them behind on Merrion Road. Likewise on Sunday... I think having someone else to focus on is a big help. The hardest parts were when I was pretty much on my own.

The downside of going with a pace group is that if they get away from you, it's really disheartening! Especially when you hear the next crowd approaching fast from behind :eek: (that was my DCM 2014!).
    racheljev wrote: »
    Well done, +1 to all of the above. I think we all do an extended remix of "shoulda woulda coulda" after a race (I mean you've read some of my reports!) so of course you're going to dissect it. Hitting your B goal is great, and it gives you a decent target for DCM. And fair play for getting back in time to see the mighty Dubs - hopefully the ladies will make it a double this Sunday. (I'm chuckling at the idea of D trading his NYQ for a 3 in a row - at around 64 mins I was willing to trade a pb next Saturday AND in New York for a win!)

Thanks Rachel, haha, yes we're never happy. Glad you didn't have to trade your PB in the end on Sunday :D.
    Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Well done Anna, looked strong right to the line, good result, only a few more week for the real fun :)

Thanks G and thanks for the encouragement on Sunday!
    Congrats and well done - a good day all round!

Thanks A, it was a long day but ultimately good results... although I wasn't as cool in the home stretch as the Dubs were! :p
    jake1970 wrote: »
    Well done Anna, B goal is a great result.

Thanks L!
    denis b wrote: »
    A real spring in your step these days Anna and plenty off weeks of decent training under your belt. The rumination is a good sign, and not unreasonable, and you did at least acknowledge that you were happy with the result. Well done.

haha, I'm not sure I'd go that far, D. But yeah, I would have taken that time if you'd offered it to me before the race!

Well done on the HM Anna, also there are some of us jealous of all that long-running you are doing, remember that the next time you are flagging!

Thanks M... and you are so right... I'm lucky to be able to run at all and happy to be able to run any distance, however slow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Nice work at the weekend Anna!:)

Monday, 18th: Recovery
    5.2k @ 6:03; 3.2 mi @ 9:45

Nice easy trot around Ellinfield Park, listening to Second Captains about the All Ireland Final — laugh out loud funny, which got me a few strange looks. Legs felt a little wobbly but not bad, otherwise no ill effects from yesterday. This was when I finally copped on that the watch was stuck on .97km auto laps and got it fixed by my resident technician when I got home.

Tuesday, 19th: ‘Rest’
    at home with pukey boys, (those damn back to school bugs) and no sleep on Monday night — i wasn’t sure if i was getting sick or just from lack of sleep, so took this as a rest day.

Wednesday, 20th: Seafront easy
    8.7k @ 6:14; 5.3 mi @ 10:03
    Plan said 12 miles for today, but decided to leave that until Thursday. Didn't get out until after 7pm and just took it nice and easy to the wall and back.

Thursday, 21st: Slightly less easy but chatty
    9k @ 6:02; 5.5 Mi @ 9:42

Thought I might do the 12 in the plan but was feeling crappy all day at work. Might not have gone at all except I had arranged to meet aquinn. So another trip to the wooden bridge and back, pace a bit faster this evening (thanks A!). I was tired at the end of it but ok. When I got back, D said you would be mad to do 12 miles a couple of days after the HM... but it was in the plan.... !

Anyhow, I told myself, take Friday as a rest day and then with an 18 miler on Sunday and a good run on Saturday, mileage will be ok for the week.

Friday: Rest

Saturday: The bug strikes :eek:
    Woke up with a splitting headache and felt awful all day... couldn't even move to go to parkrun.

Felt a lot better today but still weak so gave in to it and went back to bed. Only 14 miles for the week and a long run missed. Hopefully that's the obligatory back to school bug out of the way now.

Hope you feel better Anna.

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Hope you feel better Anna.

Thanks G, definitely on the mend now... jealous of your week on plan!!

Back on plan...

Monday, 25
    : easy, easy
    6.6k @ 6:32; 4 mi @ 10:30/mi

Met up with aquinn for a lovely evening run around the 'hood. Kept it slow to ease myself back in, only felt lightheaded once or twice... delighted to have the energy back. Big week this week in the plan.

Tuesday: Rest

Wednesday, 27: Session — 2 miles w/u, 10 miles @ MP, cooldown
    13.2mi @ 9:37; 21.3k @ 5:59 (incl. walking last 200m when I forgot to turn off the watch).

I was feeling a little nervous about this, after the bug at the weekend. The plan was for 14 miles in total… I was looking at the wind and rain all day and not feeling the love, then I dipped in to the novices thread and saw all the comments about how invigorated they were after running in the rain so that inspired me. It was 7pm when I hit the road… decided to revisit a route that worked well for me in 2015 — up through Finglas Village and across the length of Glasnevin Ave-Collins Ave to Raheny, then home from there.

I had set the watch with target pace and distance: MP is 5:50/km; 9:27/mi

Started into the MP miles at the far end of Griffith Ave… and the watch started beeping at me for being too fast… which ended up being the theme throughout the run. I told myself to slow down and thought I did, but 5:40 seemed to be default pace for a lot of it.

There’s something about running in the rain, in the dark, where you have to watch every step on badly lit footpaths, that just gets you in the zone. I like this route because it’s easy to break it into chunks and it’s basically a straight line — to Finglas village, to Ballymun Rd (with a slight detour because I wandered onto Jamestown rd by mistake), to Swords Rd, to Howth Road… the watch counting down the Km’s… only 4km to go. Up to the Raheny village crossroads then turn around for home. I stopped in the garage on the Howth rd for water (the young fella behind the counter was horrified watching me rooting in the pocket of my belt trying to find a euro), then stashed it on someone’s front wall, then spent the Km after I turned around trying to remember which wall it was on (great distraction :p). Finally finished the MP miles about a mile from home.

As soon as I started the cooldown, I felt slow and wrecked, but the MP miles felt mostly great. It’s a fair drag up to Finglas too so not entirely flat. There was a good bit of stopping to cross roads, etc. but no problem starting back up again. I didn’t carry water for a change, that was no big deal, but I was happy to get some about 10 miles in. I found a packet of PowerBar Powergel shots and took them with me… they’re jellies and 5 is supposed to be the equivalent of a gel. I think I had about 3 along the way, I really l liked them, easy to eat even without water… I’m going to invest in some more of those.

Getting home at 9:15pm and eating after that is not ideal… was exhausted but wired until after midnight.

Splits: 16.1km @ 5:43/km
    miles: 9:12, 9:24, 8:55, 9:02, 9:02, 9:12, 9:02, 9:13; 9:29; 9:26

Great to have that session done. Loved this run, love damp cool running weather :D

Thursday, 28: Fajita recovery
    4.75k @ 6:38; 2.9 mi @ 10:41

Had decided I probably wouldn't get out this evening because D was going out, so had a lovely big fajita dinner. Immediately after which, D says, right you have half an hour, do your recovery run before I go. :eek:

The only good thing about running while full of fajitas is that recovery pace is the only possible pace.:cool:

Feel a bit like I ran a HM yesterday... wait, I did.

Oh and I signed up for the 3/4 marathon for my final long run on the 8th. :)

Ugh, I wish I hadn't eaten those fajitas :rolleyes:

Good stuff Anna, back on track, good run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

OOh might see you at the 3/4 marathon I am looking forward to it now

Baby75 wrote: »
    OOh might see you at the 3/4 marathon I am looking forward to it now

Cool... are you planning to follow any of the pacers or do you know yet? I'll keep an eye out for your backpack :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

annapr wrote: »
    Cool... are you planning to follow any of the pacers or do you know yet? I'll keep an eye out for your backpack :)

I am thinking the 4.30 ones and see how I go, :) my backpack is blue but you will know me because I will be the little woman a few paces behind my hubby and his bag is bright yellow you can not miss him LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

I bought a box of the PowerGel shot thingys on Wiggle so I can give you a few packets if you want? They're cola flavour if you're interested. You practically run past my house most days so I can leave them in the porch for you :)

racheljev wrote: »
    I bought a box of the PowerGel shot thingys on Wiggle so I can give you a few packets if you want? They're cola flavour if you're interested. You practically run past my house most days so I can leave them in the porch for you :)

Oh cool... I might take you up on that, I was craving them today that's for sure!! Thanks!

Saturday, 30: St Anne's parkrun 29 minute pacer -- and 50th parkrun!
    5k @ 5:46; 3.1 mi @ 9:17

St Anne's 4th birthday and what a fantastic event it is. A real credit to Killerz and the team there. I did my 49th parkrun back in August and Mrs KennyG had been threatening me with the feather boa ever since, so decided to sneak in under the radar at the birthday celebrations. It wasn't to be because she had a special new pink feather boa ready for me. And I was 29 minute pacer so off I went with the boa and the balloon and the pacer vest... completely under the radar :rolleyes:

I had aquinn with me as backup pacer just in case, but turned out to be a comfortable run, if a little fast at times... great fun though and delighted to get a few people over the line in under 29 minutes. One woman thanked me afterwards -- she was delighted with her 20 second PB. :D

That was so much fun, really enjoyable... Mrs Mc was 30 min, LauraAc 31... Duanington 24... so a good crew of Boardsies pacing.

I must point out that my official time was.... drumroll.... 29:00 :D:D

So that's one of my most cherished goals for the year achieved: parkrun 50 milestone club!

Sunday, Oct 1: 20 mile LSR
    32.2K @ 6:40; 20 mi @ 10:45

The plan was for 22 miles but with all the discussion around various threads about whether 22 was too much, I wasn't sure setting out whether I'd settle for 20 or not. Started off from Fairview with Laura, intending to tackle some of the second half of DCM course. Into the Phoenix Park and out again at Islandbridge, picked up the course at Kilmainham (nice uphill there). Laura stuck with me up to Crumlin hospital, then hopped on a bus that would take her all the way home. The company was great, the early miles flew by.

Then on into the wastelands of D6... Crumlin, Kimmage, etc.... all those roads look the same to me, and none of them have road signs... so I kept having to look up the DCM course map to figure out where I was going, then try to find a matching road sign... every so often I'd spot a runner ahead and just follow them :). Lots of people out on LSR course recce's today.

I bought new runners a few weeks ago... Mizuno wave runners, except they are 13's instead of the 12's that I love. They're just not as comfortable, but I decided to wear them today (stupidly). As the run went on, my left foot hurt more and more.

I went a bit wrong around Orwell somewhere and decided to follow the Dodder from there, lovely river path most of the way to Ringsend. By the time I got that far, I was really suffering, but I kept trudging along, counting down the Km's and finally finishing in Fairview Park, where I had started what felt like many hours before. I briefly considered running laps around the park to get the mileage up to 22, but I was so slow by then it would have taken all day, so I crossed the road and got a cornetto on the way home instead :D

Some lessons learned:
    1. I won't be wearing those shoes on a long run ever again
    2. I didn't get the fuelling right, i was starving and a bit bonked by the end, despite glugging a Powerade from Donnybrook
    3. I'm never training for a marathon again :p

I consoled myself by thinking that the end of the marathon couldn't be any worse than the end of this run. :eek:

One more 20 miler next week.... D assures me it will be easier next week :cool:

43.3 miles for the week. That'll do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Still more miles than me (42) this week. Certainly there are a few spots along the DCM route where it's easy enough to get lost (e.g. Roebuck Road, and turning left off the Drimnagh Road to keep the Halfway House on your right) especially for Northsiders ðŸ˜Congrats on the 50th ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Ye are a kinky shower around D3/5. So wish I knew ye when I worked there, pink boa........

I hate buying the new model of the runner I love, I strictly ran in Adidas Bostons for my first few years running, hate them now as there are to light. Nike Pegasus/Vomero are my shoe of choice now as they don't appear to change to much. Run in what you like & feel comfortable in. You know that, himself will tell you that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Good to get the twenty miler done and nice mileage.

Congrats on your park run mileage and boa wearing !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congrats on the 50th Parkrun Anna. Sounds like great celebrations.

Well done on the 20miler too, it will stand to you you, you know that...they cant all go well but yes it would be nice if they did.....I reckon the body throws in an odd horrible run just to remind us not to take it all for granted...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Love no 3 never doing a marathon again ..... famous last words. Well done Anna great to get that mileage done nearly there now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Congrats on the 50! Get your t-shirt order in quick before they're all gone again! I was sorry to have missed the celebrations on Saturday, a great event no doubt. The St. Anne's crew certainly don't do things by halves.

You may well never train for another marathon so you'd better make this one count ;) only 27 days to go and you'll be celebrating a great run in McGrattans!

Advertisement