Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running in the Real World

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Congrats on the LSR Anna! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Just catching up.... well done on the 20 miler and great mileage for the week! Fingers crossed this weekend will be easier :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

ariana` wrote: »
    Just catching up.... well done on the 20 miler and great mileage for the week! Fingers crossed this weekend will be easier :)

Thanks... turns out it was... resident coach was right again :p

Week of October 2

Tuesday 3: 5 miles easy
    8.2 k @ 6:03; 5 mi @ 9:45

Out the sea front after work. Legs felt good, nothing to report that I can remember.

Wednesday, 4: No MLR... mixup in timing with babysitter meant it was too late to go out or so I thought at the time. I decided I would do it Thursday afternoon instead.

Thursday, 5: Still no MLR
    9.1k @ 5:57; 5.6 mi @ 9:35

Of course I didn't get out of work as early as I planned and was stuck for time so couldn't do the 14 mile alternating session, that I remember really enjoying in 2015. The session was programmed in my watch so went with it anyway, even though much shorter. The alternating was a mile at MP+3%, followed by a mile at MP-3%. Felt good, although way too short.

Saturday, 7: 5 miles easy
    8.2 @ 6:08; 5.1 mi @ 9:53

Very pleasant run the length of Griffith ave, through the rustling leaves. Except that I wore the new shoes again and my foot hurt during and after (I'm never wearing them even for short runs again).

Sunday, 8th: Irish 3/4 Marathon
    31.8k @ 6:29; 19.7 mi @ 10:26

Went to see Blade Runner last night... didn't get home until after midnight after very sensibly drinking water in the pub after the film. Highly recommend the movie, not as good as the original but worth seeing.

Then up early this morning to go to Longwood for this event. Parked in a field, registered and enjoyed the entertainment while queuing for the portaloo. A local 'DJ' playing a selection of old favourites and dancing along. The hucklebuck was the highlight.

Had a chat with YoungAnne, who was planning to practice 4:40 pace in prep for her pacing gig. There were pacers here, who were doing the run at long run pace for the various times. I decided the 4:00 hour pacers would be too fast for me and the 4:30 too slow... but I started behind the 4:30 pacers for the first while.

This was such a sociable run, most people seemed to be doing it in prep for DCM. Lots of chat along the way. After 4-5 miles, I started to find the 4:30 group too congested and moved ahead of them. Ran for a bit with a woman who told me she has severe lung disease and damaged lungs slowing her down.

The theme I heard from lots of people around me was... aren't we lucky to be here, isn't it great to be doing this? :)

Also met Baby75 from these parts and her OH. Nice to chat to them.

Settled into a groove with two other women for about 8 miles. Very chatty and relaxed. With about 5 miles to go they started to speed up but I resisted going with them, keeping this at long run pace.

Finished feeling quite strong, so much better than last week, the watermelon at the finish line was heavenly. Followed by crisp sambo's in the club house. The race was really well organised, well stocked water stations, fruit along the way ... even some brack at the last water station (ewww... high risk at 28k....).

Only slight worry was that my foot was really sore for the first 7-8 miles -- uncomfortably sore, not sharp pain, but eventually it settled down or I became numb and didn't feel it.

Really good event, if a bit of an expensive long run.

Only 4 days running this week, not great. 35.6 miles for the week.

How did taper get here so fast?? Key run coming up midweek... 14 mi @ MP, that's the next hurdle :)

Congrats on the 50! Get your t-shirt order in quick before they're all gone again! I was sorry to have missed the celebrations on Saturday, a great event no doubt. The St. Anne's crew certainly don't do things by halves.

You may well never train for another marathon so you'd better make this one count ;) only 27 days to go and you'll be celebrating a great run in McGrattans!

Ordered my tshirt on Weds, arrived on Friday!!! Very impressive.

McGrattans... McGrattans.... :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Great report, I loved the DJ he was class and probably burnt as many calories as we did running LOL he was dancing all over the place :D

you have given me hope that next year I will find that run easier :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

RE foot, freeze a little bottle of water (kiddy size) and roll it under your foot every evening for the next while - unless the pain is at the top of your foot? (in which case put a towel flat on the ground and use your toes to 'scrunch' up the towel while moving it towards you....). You don't want a sore foot on 29th :eek:

RE foot, freeze a little bottle of water (kiddy size) and roll it under your foot every evening for the next while - unless the pain is at the top of your foot? (in which case put a towel flat on the ground and use your toes to 'scrunch' up the towel while moving it towards you....). You don't want a sore foot on 29th :eek:

That water bottle trick really works, I used it this week for the side of my foot but I did not know how to fix the pain in the top of my foot

Baby75 wrote: »
    That water bottle trick really works, I used it this week for the side of my foot but I did not know how to fix the pain in the top of my foot

I learned that one from Ecoli/Myles Splitz/Testosterone or whatever he's calling himself these days :P, in other words, someone who knows what's what!

I learned that one from Ecoli/Myles Splitz/Testosterone or whatever he's calling himself these days :P, in other words, someone who knows what's what!

LOL, well thank you for passing it on :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Well done on the 3/4 marathon, sounds like a great day out. I did it a few years ago when it was in Athlone, enjoyed it (well, maybe "enjoyed" is a bit strong, but you get my drift!) And congrats on your 50th parkrun as well. Good luck with the 14 @ mp - you'll be fine, honest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

That DJ was mad - really......seriously........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Brilliantly mad. That was one guy not afraid to just let go.

Baby75 wrote: »
    Great report, I loved the DJ he was class and probably burnt as many calories as we did running LOL he was dancing all over the place :D

you have given me hope that next year I will find that run easier :eek:

It does get easier, honest!
    Brilliantly mad. That was one guy not afraid to just let go.

He was hilarious... a throwback to another century... like a character from The Butcher Boy... he looked like he'd just rolled out of the bar from the night before :pac:

Thanks for the tip... back in my old runners tonight and all felt good. And new runners ordered that are the right version... and half price, so hopefully that'll take care of it.

Well? How was the hangover 14 miles @ MP??

annapr wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip... back in my old runners tonight and all felt good. And new runners ordered that are the right version... and half price, so hopefully that'll take care of it.

gently stretch your calfs as well seems my foot ankle issue was caused by a tight calf muscle which led to foot pain

Week of October 9

Monday: Rest

Tuesday 10: Easy
    8.2k @ 6:18; 5.1 mi @ 10:08

Evening trot around d3/d9. All good. Programmed my watch for my 14mi @ MP session tomorrow.

Wednesday: session of a different sort
    Ugh, impossible to find 2 hours to run when going out early evening... I knew I should have just taken these Wednesday off work to do my sessions. Does cross training by walking into town count for anything I wonder.... and we only came 4th in the table quiz.... :p

Thursday: Recovery also of a different sort
    I blame BG.

Friday 13: Easy in the morning
    7.8k @ 6:23; 4.8 mi @ 10:17

Knew I had another social event Friday evening so dragged myself out in the morning. It was ridiculously warm. Did my usual local run, thinking to myself that I do this so often it's almost automatic. Then I looked up... ooops, what road is this?? Took a wrong turn, DOH! :p

Saturday 14: At last some MP miles
    5k @ 5:38; 3.1 mi @ 9:05 (parkrun)
    8k @ 5:52; 5 mi @ 9:27

We were planning an expedition to deepest Darndale for the new parkrun. BG drove and we found the park and the start no bother. Met Wubble Wubble on the way in and said hello to the very friendly and welcoming volunteer team. Aquinn went off in search of a first place, BG joined me at my marathon pace (she's on the comeback trail). We were a bit faster than MP, but enjoyable run, and BG relished sprinting ahead to leave me in the dust and nab 3rd place female for herself.

Enjoyed the parkrun, nice park, complete with swans, herons and horses :D

The rest of the gang headed off for breakfast and I did another 5 miles at MP to join them... arrived into the cafe a very sweaty mess.

8 mi @ MP, making up a little for not doing THE session.

Sunday 15: 16 mile LSR with a few more MP miles
    2k @ 7:51; 1.2 mi @ 12:35 (St Anne's juniors)
    26k @ 6:13; 16 mi @ 10:02

Started the morning accompanying the 7 year old at junior parkrun, first time 'running' it, was great fun... a bit of an interval session -- sprint, walk, sprint, stop, walk, sprint... pacing, what's that? Lovely morning, St Anne's looked magnificent.

Went for my own run around midday. Thought I might incorporate my 14 mi @ MP into this run (last chance), but two things put paid to that... it was so damn hot and humid, I felt like I was boiling... and I had yet another social event on Saturday night (seriously, 3 in one week... normally 3 a month would be a big deal)... four hours sleep and the cumulative effects of the week left me the worse for wear.

Anyhow, headed to the Phoenix Park and managed about 8k at or near MP before giving in to a slow shuffle... convincing myself that I have no endurance whatsoever and should give up on even running DCM now... just go straight to McGrattan's... ugh, maybe not :eek:

...got home wrecked, complaining that I thought 16mi was supposed to feel easy after 2 weeks of 20 milers... got no sympathy :rolleyes:

Felt a bit better after I read WW's log and saw he had a similar experience.:D

35.7 mi for the week, only 4 days :(. Now for proper taper.

Determined to be very sensible for the next two weeks -- early to bed, clean living :)

Well? How was the hangover 14 miles @ MP??

Didn't quite work out as planned... :o

Week of October 16

Monday: Ophelia cabin fever, holed up with the boys and my mother :eek:

Tuesday, 17: 5 miles easy
    8k @ 6:15; 4.9mi @ 10:04

Went out the door around 7:30 pm ... sniffed the lovely cool calm air and headed for the sea front. I've been staying inland recently and I miss the water. Beautiful evening for a run, dozens of runners around. Occasional pain in my left knee.

New shoes were delivered yesterday, christened them tonight, back to the 12's, immediately comfortable.

Thursday, 19: Too short
    5.4k @ 5:37; 3.3mi @ 9:03

I've come to realise that I find it impossible to work, run and go out in the evening. Had a meeting at the school at 7pm, realised after about a mile that I was really stuck for time or else I would be a sweaty mess at the meeting, so cut this one short. Enjoyed the little bit of extra pace all the same. As it happened got soaked on the way to the meeting, so I was a dripping mess anyway. :cool:

Saturday, 21: 5 miles easy
    8.1k @ 5:55; 5:03 mi @ 9:32

Had a parkrun day planned, Fairview volunteering first then the parkrun Ireland conference, so had to go out early to get this done. Loop up Malahide Rd, Collins Ave, back down to Clonliffe. For some reason Strava only started counting after a mile, and gave me 4 miles for 48 minutes. :rolleyes:

Good fun marshalling at Fairview, although freezing in the wind and rain... there were a lot of parkrun visitors in for the conference at DCU.

Sunday, 22: Last LSR before DCM :D:D
    19.6K @ 6:17; 12.1mi @ 10:07

Does 12 miles still count as an LSR? Hope so, because I enjoyed this one. Trotted up the Malahide Rd, picked up Laura, did a big loop down Vernon ave and around St Anne's, then back to Artane, then home. Great to have company for about 8 miles. Even threw in an uphill on Glandore Rd towards the end.

Only 24.4 mi for the week... I was so lacking motivation this week.

Instructions for next week are run the same number of days as usual but shorter (one 5 mile run with 3 @ MP, the rest 2-3 miles). I think I can cope with that.

As for Sunday 29th... who knows. I looked at my watch on the run today and thought, this time next week, it should be all over and I will be in McGrattan's (hopefully!).

Oh yeah, almost forgot... a tummy bug arrived in our house last night... both boys up puking from midnight to 4am... :eek: D had visions of his DCM PB going down the toilet... they were both fine this morning, and so far no evidence of contagion... only ill effects from being awake all night... nothing like a threatened bug during taper week!!! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Mind the bugs, wear mask and gloves for next few days, have a great race Sunday, hopefully see you along the way.

The very best of luck on Sunday Anna, don't let the head get in the way of an enjoyable run ;) Remember, you're just out for a pre burger, chips & pint in McGrattan run!

Week of October 23

Monday, Tuesday... Rest

Uh oh, the bug... Got hit on Tuesday, completely gave in to it and took to the bed Tues afternoon, and went to bed very early that night.

Wednesday, 25: 5 mile with 3 @ MP
    8.6k @ 5:54; 5.3 mi @ 9:30

Woke up feeling much much better, whew that's a relief. Went out in the evening, beautiful crisp still evening on the seafront. Full of energy, felt as if I could run a 5k pb... had to calm down the exuberance and slow myself down. Did 2k warm up, then 5k @ MP... which ended up being too fast. MP is 5:52 (Splits: 5:41, 5:46, 5:42, 5:37, 5:36 ). Longest run this week before the big one.

Thursday, 26: Short and slow
    4.5k @ 6:37; 2.7 mi @ 10:39

After dinner, with a stomach full of chilli... don't recommend that approach, even for easy runs. Guidance in the plan is 2-3 mile easy runs.

Facebook feed has been full of reminders today of 2 years ago... DCM 2015... have to keep that one top of mind!!

Nearly there now...

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Mind the bugs, wear mask and gloves for next few days, have a great race Sunday, hopefully see you along the way.

Think it's too late for that G... thanks and see you Sunday hopefully.
    The very best of luck on Sunday Anna, don't let the head get in the way of an enjoyable run ;) Remember, you're just out for a pre burger, chips & pint in McGrattan run!

Thanks, AM... so right... I'm going to focus on the goal... burger and pint :D.

Hope to see you out there too!!! Will you have the oranges you promised in 2015?? Or was it strawberries? :p

annapr wrote: »
    Think it's too late for that G... thanks and see you Sunday hopefully.

Thanks, AM... so right... I'm going to focus on the goal... burger and pint :D.

Hope to see you out there too!!! Will you have the oranges you promised in 2015?? Or was it strawberries? :p

Actually it was both and no, I'm promising nothing this year :D including seeing anyone!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Best of luck for Sunday Anna, you’ve put in a lot of mileage over the summer and wishing you the best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Good luck on Sunday Anna :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck Sunday Anna, hope it goes well for you. Run well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of luck on Sunday Anna, you have had great training so enjoy the run and remember if things get a little hairy , dont give in to it, push on and "don't be left wondering";)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Anna ..... I've been very absent from Boards and my own log. You've the hay in the barn and DCM 2017 will be your year :)

Hitting for Dublin tomorrow with no LSR done since mid-September due to a torn muscle and nursing some niggles so not quite sure how Sunday will pan out but I'll be delighted to get around.

Planning to line up with the 4 hour pacer and see how I go - I'll be wearing black shirt and an orange t-shirt. What are you wearing? just in case we end up running side by side and I don't recognise you.

Advertisement