Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running in the Real World

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Sunday 22nd March
    50 min easy: 5.07 mi/8.16 km
    9:52 min/mi; 6:08 min/km

Nice run early in the morning on the Ards pensinsula, along the coast -- ran beside the Atlantic, Dublin Bay and the Irish Sea this week, not all in the one run obviously. I was wondering if the Garmin would still call this kilkeel running since i'm actually in Co. Down, but the battery died before I could test it.

Legs still feeling a bit sluggish, have a bit of a cough too, so will definitely take tomorrow as a rest day (so no need for any scolding :))

Off to a 4-year-old Frozen birthday party for the afternoon... that will test my stamina more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

annapr wrote: »
    Sunday 22nd March
    50 min easy: 5.07 mi/8.16 km
    9:52 min/mi; 6:08 min/km

Nice run early in the morning on the Ards pensinsula, along the coast

oh lovely! especially in this weather :-) nice pace there too, hope the party was fun!

Firedance wrote: »
    oh lovely! especially in this weather :-) nice pace there too, hope the party was fun!

It was lovely. The party... Well, at least there's wifi!

Stats for the week:

WTD: 24.84 mi/39.98km*
    MTD: 74.37 mi/112km
    YTD: 185 mi/ 258 km

*...and yes, even I would have done another 20 meters if I had known...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Saturday: 11km/6.84 mi in 68 min
    9:58/mi, 6:11/km

Garmin gave me an elevation gain of 150m! Would have had to start from the bottom of dublin bay for that!

Can I have that in feet please? :P

• Advertisement

Well done on the run last week Anna.
    Nice pb.

Only seeing the report now.
    What's up next?

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Well done on the run last week Anna.
    Nice pb.

Only seeing the report now.
    What's up next?

ah thanks, P. Murph is dragging me to Omagh next weekend, he's doing the half and I'll do the 5k for fun... and then go and watch the half, which was great fun last time.

Training for the Cork Half and probably take in K Club 10k along the way... all going well!

When is your next marathon?

ah thanks, P. Murph is dragging me to Omagh next weekend, he's doing the half and I'll do the 5k for fun... and then go and watch the half, which was great fun last time.

Training for the Cork Half and probably take in K Club 10k along the way... all going well!

Hamburg Marathon. Five weeks from today :eek:

Hamburg Marathon. Five weeks from today :eek:

no bother to you, your training seems to be going very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Thanks for the reminder, won't take that route to Donegal.

• Advertisement

aquinn wrote: »
    Thanks for the reminder, won't take that route to Donegal.

Long run in the hills this weekend?

Long run in the hills this weekend?

Oh I don't think I'm capable. Would rather a long, flat run on Friday night and then drive up on Saturday, maybe a mini hill run on Sunday. I don't know how you train in Donegal. I find it so tough, that and the journey!
    Will see.

aquinn wrote: »
    Oh I don't think I'm capable. Would rather a long, flat run on Friday night and then drive up on Saturday, maybe a mini hill run on Sunday. I don't know how you train in Donegal. I find it so tough, that and the journey!
    Will see.

It's worth it for the views and landscape... and it'll toughen you up :)

Monday: Rest day (Planned)

Tuesday: Rest day (unplanned, caused by a mix of procrastination, a long lunch, mad hailstone showers and stuff to do)

Wednesday: 4 x 4mins @ 5k pace, with 3 min recovery
    total: 52:51 min; 9.06km/5.63mi; avg 5:50/km; 9:24/mi

I was annoyed with myself for missing yesterday's run. Session is normally Tuesday on the plan, so did it today instead. I have had a bit of a cough, nothing major, but noticed a bit of wheeziness before I set out... with everyone being so sensible around here these days, I decided I'd see how I got on but keep an eye on that.

16 min warmup brought me past Clontarf baths and started the first interval there. As usual, the 5k pace felt challenging but not too hard this time, but I was relieved to hear the beeps signalling the end of each 4 minutes. Jogged in between for the recoveries.

Happy that the first 3 intervals were sub 5min/km (8min/mi). Probably did the first one too fast as the pace slipped on each subsequent one! Starting the 4th one, decided not to push as hard so that was deliberately slower.

5k pace splits:
    1. 4:44/km 7.38/mi
    2. 4:51/km 7:49/mi
    3. 4:55/km 7:55/mi
    4. 5:06/km 8:12/mi

Very pleased with this, felt great after it... so much more interesting having sessions to vary the training, I feel like I'm really starting to understand pacing better.

Oh yeah, also dusted off the HRM for this one... it got up to 135bpm during the warmup, then fell to a steady 80bpm for the intervals... so either I'm a freak of nature with unnaturally low heartbeat or the darn thing wasn't working :p

Beautiful morning in D3... the sea was like glass and no wind.

Spent the afternoon in the ya-zoo with 3 little boys, ages 4 and 6... who were more interested in the playgrounds, the ice cream and the squirrels than in any wild animals... could have saved the admission! Although they did note that the gorillas like 'playing with their boobs' :rolleyes:

Claiming 3 hours shuffling around and freezing as cross-training credit. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

5k pace splits:

Great splits! I see a sub-24 5K on the horizon
    Spent the afternoon in the ya-zoo with 3 little boys, ages 4 and 6... who were more interested in the playgrounds, the ice cream and the squirrels than in any wild animals... could have saved the admission! Although they did note that the gorillas like 'playing with their boobs' :rolleyes:

:D

Oh yeah, also dusted off the HRM for this one... it got up to 135bpm during the warmup, then fell to a steady 80bpm for the intervals... so either I'm a freak of nature with unnaturally low heartbeat or the darn thing wasn't working :p

I'm no expert, but I can say with some certainty that your 80bpm reading during the 5k paced intervals is incorrect.
    I think a corpse would have a higher HR at 5k pace :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Monday: Rest day (Planned)

Tuesday: Rest day (unplanned, caused by a mix of procrastination, a long lunch, mad hailstone showers and stuff to do)

Wednesday: 4 x 4mins @ 5k pace, with 3 min recovery
    total: 52:51 min; 9.06km/5.63mi; avg 5:50/km; 9:24/mi

I was annoyed with myself for missing yesterday's run. Session is normally Tuesday on the plan, so did it today instead. I have had a bit of a cough, nothing major, but noticed a bit of wheeziness before I set out... with everyone being so sensible around here these days, I decided I'd see how I got on but keep an eye on that.

16 min warmup brought me past Clontarf baths and started the first interval there. As usual, the 5k pace felt challenging but not too hard this time, but I was relieved to hear the beeps signalling the end of each 4 minutes. Jogged in between for the recoveries.

Happy that the first 3 intervals were sub 5min/km (8min/mi). Probably did the first one too fast as the pace slipped on each subsequent one! Starting the 4th one, decided not to push as hard so that was deliberately slower.

5k pace splits:

Very pleased with this, felt great after it... so much more interesting having sessions to vary the training, I feel like I'm really starting to understand pacing better.

Beautiful morning in D3... the sea was like glass and no wind.

Claiming 3 hours shuffling around and freezing as cross-training credit. :)

Great splits Anna watch out St Anne's Park Run I see a pb coming soon.
    Glad to boys enjoyed the zoo !!
    And the gorillas. Good luck in Omagh to you and D.

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Great splits! I see a sub-24 5K on the horizon

would you g'way... I would be happy with a non-jingle bells sub 25 for now!
    Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Great splits Anna watch out St Anne's Park Run I see a pb coming soon.
    Glad to boys enjoyed the zoo !!
    And the gorillas. Good luck in Omagh to you and D.

Thanks A, how's your training going these days, what's next for you? and when are you starting a log :)

I'm no expert, but I can say with some certainty that your 80bpm reading during the 5k paced intervals is incorrect.
    I think a corpse would have a higher HR at 5k pace :pac:

:pac::pac: well they do say that psychopaths have very low heart rates...

... the thing must have slipped or something, or was only picking up about every third beat :rolleyes:

Thursday: 62 mins easy
    6.22 mi, 10:02 avg/10.01 km, 6:14 avg

The plan called for 50 minutes easy, but I overdid it a little. I had to pick up the car in Parkgate st, so ran to the Park then up the North road and back down Chesterfield and finally through the colourful People's gardens to parkgate St. The loop in the park was 10 mins longer than it should have been, but no harm in spending longer in the park.

Pace was fine, a bit tired, feeling the calves after yesterday -- the first sprinklings of rain started as I got to the garage, so no complaints!

Listened to a great episode of This American Life on the way... ideal podcast for 50-60 min easy runs.

I still get a great kick out of using running as a means of transport :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

would you g'way... I would be happy with a non-jingle bells sub 25 for now!

Thanks A, how's your training going these days, what's next for you? and when are you starting a log :)
    All going well Anna great Ireland in April mini in June and race series over the summer and sure a park run in St Anne's there too !!! That should keep me going !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck in Omagh tomorrow Anna.

All going well Anna great Ireland in April mini in June and race series over the summer and sure a park run in St Anne's there too !!! That should keep me going !!

Good stuff, A, sounds like a plan :) ...can't wait to see your log ;)

Friday: Hill Sprints -- 7 reps with c.3min standing recovery ... all alone
    2.73 mi/4.4km (w-up and c-d)

With Bungy heading off yesterday to do her blisteringly fast Fartlek, and aquinn injured, I found myself alone in Fairview Park this morning to do these. Alone except for dozens of people walking dogs, babies, themselves.... I was feeling a little self-conscious about loitering for minutes on end before legging it up Bungy Hill for 10 secs at a time.

Anyhow, jogged down to warm up, then launched into it. I tried to concentrate on form, which felt like it was improving with each rep. In between, I had only the herons, swans, pigeons and one big fat rat :eek: to keep me company.

I lost count of how many reps so did an extra one to be sure I got 6... ended up with 7 reps, then jogged home.

By the end, even the heron was bored of watching me standing around (pretending to be taking photos).

annapr wrote:
    By the end, even the heron was bored of watching me standing around (pretending to be taking photos).

He was there mediating in the sunshine last week when I went by. He's fantastic.
    So brave doing sprints after BG deserted. Well done.

Good luck in Omagh to you and D.
    tang1 wrote: »
    Best of luck in Omagh tomorrow Anna.

Thanks guys, I am signed up to do the 5k 'fun run' and that's exactly how I'm thinking of it, so no pressure.

We did this two years ago -- D. did the half and I did the 5k... I had 5 stitches in my knee at the time and was jet lagged, so hobbled my way around but was delighted with a time of c. 27:30...

The best part was that the 5k finished in plenty of time to watch the end of the Half... one of my favourite running moments was seeing Ann Marie McGlynn win the ladies race. After a while, the announcer was calling her to the podium as the winner, but they couldn't find her -- she was back out on the course helping her club mates finish. I was so impressed by that (I realise now they were probably after a team medal, but still she was very impressive). I didn't know who she was at the time, but she was at the start of her comeback to running and is now a part of the Ireland XC European bronze medal team of course. And a Donegal sporting hero! :D

(oh yeah, I also got to cheer D on at the finish too :pac: and there was a great spread afterwards!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Best of Luck, Anna. ENJOY!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

one big fat rat :eek:

Glad I missed that!

Well done on the solo sprints & best of luck tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Flat out tomorrow remember, anna!

;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Solo sprints are brilliant fun!! (ok, they're not :-D) well done you I'd have been sprinting the hec outta there if I'd seen the rat EEK! Am big sissy city girl...

Good luck tomorrow and enjoy the 'fun' aspect of it

Advertisement