Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running in the Real World

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Glad I missed that!

Well done on the solo sprints & best of luck tomorrow.

It wasn't the same without you! talking to myself is no fun :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Best of luck tomorrow Amber, take it easy on Auld Murph, I see from FBOTs log that he wants to know what "stretching" is, maybe you could give him the beginners course :)

Enjoy it, you've bern running well

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Best of luck tomorrow anna

Best of luck tomorrow Amber, take it easy on Auld Murph, I see from FBOTs log that he wants to know what "stretching" is, maybe you could give him the beginners course :)

Enjoy it, you've bern running well

TbL

there is no answer I can come up with, without digging myself into a deeper hole :D

...but thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Go Anna go! Best of today :)

• Advertisement

Omagh (un)Fun Run 5k

one word to sum this up... meh!

I like this event, very friendly and well organised. We got there in plenty of time, I was feeling tired before the warmup (after 2 relatively sleepless nights) but after warming up felt much better. Got into the crowd behind the 1:45 pacers (the 5k and HM runners starting together). It was as crowded a start as I've ever seen, wished Murph good luck and then we were off...

My short-term 5k ambition is to go sub-25 somewhere other than Jingle Bells... today was not the day. The start was very congested, through narrow streets, no room to do anything but go with the surrounding pace.

As we turned into the town centre, there were lots of Saturday shoppers cheering people on... I thought once again about August 15, 1998 and wondered how anyone could knowingly bomb a busy market town like on a Saturday afternoon.

First km, the watch showed 5:28/8:49... which is when I decided this wasn't going to be my day (no heroics here). So I slogged around the rest of the way. With 400m left to go, according to my watch, I decided to at least have a respectable final km and gave a bit of a push... only to arrive at a timing mat, with my watch saying 5k and be told to run around a track for another 400m... WTF??

Watch told me an unremarkable 26:37 for the 5k and I crossed the line in 28:38... 5.39K!! :roll eyes:

Highlight was watching the finish of the HM... a Kenyan won it by a considerable distance, with 'the first local' (according to a spectator) coming second. I was looking out for Belcarra but missed him, then gave Murph a shout (if he comes in under 1:41, I will take the credit for gaining him a second or two! :D), looked out for Belcarra's OH, but missed her too!

Met up with Belcarra and Roisin in the hall after tea and cakes.... nice to catch up with them, both getting very good times today, in tough conditions.

There was a fire alarm in the hall afterwards... nobody had the energy to evacuate :) . The tea lady said 'I have to leave, there's tea there for you'. Very Irish. :D

Splits:
    5:29/8:49
    5:09/8:17
    5:28/8:48
    5:33/8:56
    4:59/8:01
    5:06/8:11 -- that rogue 400m

W/up: 1.9k/1.2mi
    5k: 5.4k
    c/down: .38mi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

They seem to have a 5k 'split' in the results, so clearly they are not advertising it as a 5k.. (bit weird??)

By the way that first 'local' lad was Paul Pollock who came 21st (2nd European) in the Recent world Marathon Championships. It looks like he went with the lead Kenyan through 5 miles and just fell off him in the second half.

Hope yee enjoyed your visit up to my Home County ;)

menoscemo wrote: »
    They seem to have a 5k 'split' in the results, so clearly they are not advertising it as a 5k.. (bit weird??)

By the way that first 'local' lad was Paul Pollock who came 21st (2nd European) in the Recent world Championships. It looks like he went with the lead Kenyan through 5 miles and just fell off him in the second half.

Hope yee enjoyed your visit up to my Home County ;)

Hi Meno, yeah the timing was a bit weird, but as Belcarra reminded me it was FUN run. I saw Paul Pollock finishing, didn't know who he was, but the Kenyan was flying.

always enjoy visiting Tyrone-hi! except for Ulster championship back in the day...

annapr wrote: »

always enjoy visiting Tyrone-hi! except for Ulster championship back in the day...

Don't be confusing Tyrone with North Antrim.
    It's Tyrone-lack!

Don't be confusing Tyrone with North Antrim.
    It's Tyrone-lack!

you mean TIE-rone...

• Advertisement

you mean TIE-rone...

Nah it's T'rone to the locals :pac:

Nah it's T'rone to the locals :pac:

yep, as epitomised by Ricey McMenamin... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Can't win em all Anna disappointing for you with your training going so well it will just have to be St Anne's for your sub 25 ! Well done anyway.

Sunday: 100 minutes easy
    15.22km/9.46mi
    Avg pace: 6:34/km; 10:35/mi

Wanted to keep this at the slow end of my long run pace (according to McMillan -- 5:55-6:42/km). Usually, I find it difficult to go slow enough but not today! Tired legs work wonders for correcting the pace :)

Headed up Griffith Ave to Albert College Park, did a few laps with Murph -- he was doing a 30 min recovery jog after his almost-pb yesterday, before going to the sauna in DCU and I headed down Mobhi Rd, along the lovely Tolka through Arthur Griffith Park, back up to Griffith Ave and round a few Marino greens to finish at 100 minutes with a 5 minute walk home. It felt like I would never hit 100!

Good to get some hills in and a more sheltered route today was very welcome.

WTD: 28.94 mi/ 46.57Km -- highest mileage since the week of DCM!
    MTD: 103.31mi/166.26 Km -- highest month since Sept 2014
    YTD: 218.92 mi/312.34 km

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Can't win em all Anna disappointing for you with your training going so well it will just have to be St Anne's for your sub 25 ! Well done anyway.

Thanks A... even top athletes like me have off days some times... :p

...at least Donegal whupped Tyrone today to make up for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

annapr wrote:
    Sunday: 100 minutes easy 15.22km/9.46mi Avg pace: 6:34/km; 10:35/mi

Fair play to you for this. Great going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

...at least Donegal whupped Tyrone today to make up for it :)

No sign of meno today...!

belcarra wrote: »

Angry face

coming your way next week, J... :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

coming your way next week, J... :eek:

Heard Murphy (the other one!) got a third black card today and will therefore be missing next week... Hope that's a fact!

• Advertisement

Heard Murphy (the other one!) got a third black card today and will therefore be missing next week... Hope that's a fact!

You mean the most important Murphy!!! it is a fact... seemed to be a bit strategic... better that he misses the game next week than first round of Ulster. He's been very cranky though, not like him.

So long as Mayo don't win by 22+ points, we're safe from relegation... that doesn't reassure me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Sunday: 100 minutes easy
    15.22km/9.46mi
    Avg pace: 6:34/km; 10:35/mi

Wanted to keep this at the slow end of my long run pace (according to McMillan -- 5:55-6:42/km). Usually, I find it difficult to go slow enough but not today! Tired legs work wonders for correcting the pace :)

Headed up Griffith Ave to Albert College Park, did a few laps with Murph -- he was doing a 30 min recovery jog after his almost-pb yesterday, before going to the sauna in DCU and I headed down Mobhi Rd, along the lovely Tolka through Arthur Griffith Park, back up to Griffith Ave and round a few Marino greens to finish at 100 minutes with a 5 minute walk home. It felt like I would never hit 100!

Good to get some hills in and a more sheltered route today was very welcome.

WTD: 28.94 mi/ 46.57Km -- highest mileage since the week of DCM!
    MTD: 103.31mi/166.26 Km -- highest month since Sept 2014
    YTD: 218.92 mi/312.34 km

Seems like a nice run to end the week. Nice weekly mileage as well

Monday: Rest day
    This morning, my legs thanked me for this!

Tuesday: Plan -- 65 mins with 22 mins @ tempo
    actual: 10.63km/6.6 mi; 66 mins;

Apocalyptic weather this afternoon... I can take gales, I can handle the odd hailstone shower, but I wimped out at the combined force and went to the gym, thereby conceding any Boards bragging rights. First time on a treadmill since I don't know when. It was torture... just watching the clock the whole time while pumping sweat. I consoled myself that it's probably good practice for running in hot weather.

Anyhow, 20 min warmup at easy pace, followed by 22 mins @ HM or better -- 5:27/min, alternated with 2 min intervals at about 5:10/min, just to keep me from being too bored.

After 51 mins, I had enough and decided I would finish in the real world, no matter the weather. Did the final 15 minutes as a lap and a half around Albo, I was never as happy to be outside and in a park :) of course the sun was shining and wind was manageable after all!

Final tally for the month of March: 176.88 km/109.9 mi... can I round up? please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Thought they bred them tougher in the Hills!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

No matter how bad outside, it's always better than a treadmill!

tang1 wrote: »
    Thought they bred them tougher in the Hills!!

what can I say, letting down the whole county! sure wasn't I reared in hailstones :p
    PaulieC wrote: »
    No matter how bad outside, it's always better than a treadmill!

I know that now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Final tally for the month of March: 176.88 km/109.9 mi... can I round up? please?

NO but feel free to throw on the runners and do it the old fashion way.....run around the block. You still have 2 and half hours to go. Go on, you know you are want to:D

FBOT01 wrote: »
    NO but feel free to throw on the runners and do it the old fashion way.....run around the block. You still have 2 and half hours to go. Go on, you know you are want to:D

:pac::pac:

...but there are hailstones about... :eek:

...I am at peace with my 109.9 for March...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

:pac::pac:

...but there are hailstones about... :eek:

...I am at peace with my 109.9 for March...

You'd probably manage that around the house - how can you be at peace :eek: ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

you may be at peace Anna but several people will loose sleep over your 109.9 - .9!!!:eek::D

great mileage for the month - did you not steal a table from Adrian??

Advertisement