Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running in the Real World

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Firedance wrote: »
    you may be at peace Anna but several people will loose sleep over your 109.9 - .9!!!:eek::D

great mileage for the month - did you not steal a table from Adrian??

Poor dubgal is probably rocking back and forward in a corner somewhere looking at those numbers....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

kit3 wrote: »
    You'd probably manage that around the house - how can you be at peace :eek: ;)
    you may be at peace Anna but several people will loose sleep over your 109.9 - .9!!!:eek::D

great mileage for the month - did you not steal a table from Adrian??
    laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Poor dubgal is probably rocking back and forward in a corner somewhere looking at those numbers....

I am practicing mindfulness on my .9... Relax, you have let this in... And voila no pain or angst!

Wednesday: 61 minutes easy; 9.55k/5.94 mi

This 60 minutes of happiness was brought to me by... the Phoenix Park. Plan called for 50 minutes easy but we went a wee bit astray, no harm done. Used this to break in the trail runners ahead of the assault on Howth on Friday morning. They now have some muck on them to make them look authentic and were very comfortable. Did this one with Murph, who of course insisted on running beyond the car until he hit 6 miles exactly.

Thursday... just when you are feeling great...
    eldest has been sick all week, doc said yesterday might be the winter vomiting bug... in about half an hour last night, I went from feeling fantastic to... well, I'll spare the details. Completely wiped out today and looking like the Howth trail tomorrow is not on... unless I get better as fast as I got sick. Is there really such a thing as a 24-hour bug? fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

annapr wrote: »

This 60 minutes of happiness was brought to me by... the Phoenix Park. Plan called for 50 minutes easy but we went a wee bit astray, no harm done. Used this to break in the trail runners ahead of the assault on Howth on Friday morning. They now have some muck on them to make them look authentic and were very comfortable. Did this one with Murph, who of course insisted on running beyond the car until he hit 6 miles exactly.

eldest has been sick all week, doc said yesterday might be the winter vomiting bug... in about half an hour last night, I went from feeling fantastic to... well, I'll spare the details. Completely wiped out today and looking like the Howth trail tomorrow is not on... unless I get better as fast as I got sick. Is there really such a thing as a 24-hour bug? fingers crossed.

oh no! you poor thing :( I hope you're feeling better soon, probably not by tomorrow though but hope your whole weekend is not wiped out by it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Sorry to hear Anna, hope the bug does not hang around your house too long:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Get well soon, Anna. Thanks for sparing us the detail :eek:

oh no! you poor thing :( I hope you're feeling better soon, probably not by tomorrow though but hope your whole weekend is not wiped out by it...
    Sorry to hear Anna, hope the bug does not hang around your house too long:(

thanks... i was looking forward to meeting the two of you tomorrow! :( hopefully next time...

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Get well soon, Anna. Thanks for sparing us the detail :eek:

... ah come on, M, 'real runners' have seen it all :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

... ah come on, M, 'real runners' have seen it all :eek:

I take it by 'real runners' that you are referring to Murph on this occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Hope you & the nipper feel better soon Anna.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Feel better soon Anna

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    *rock* *rock* *rock* if only this were a joke.... :D
    I am practicing mindfulness on my .9... Relax, you have let this in... And voila no pain or angst!
    No, no, no...unless you have a synaesthesia variant, in which case carry on smelling blue ;)

Hmmm.....the couple that runs together...gets lost in the Furry Glen together ?! ;)
    On a serious note, hope ye're all well soon...

All better in the house yet folks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Dubgal72 wrote:
    All better in the house yet folks?

She's fine as back giving out about my massive lie in.

Haha jealous probably, as I am :(:D:D

Dubgal72 wrote:
    Haha jealous probably, as I am

Ok. I won't tell you about it then.
    All set for tomorrow and minding yourself today?

aquinn wrote: »
    Ok. I won't tell you about it then.
    All set for tomorrow and minding yourself today?
    No, I do not want to hear about lie-ins! (actually I had one yesterday so I'm a bit mellower about other peep's sleep :D )
    Yes thanks hon, am sitting here being served a toasted bagel and contemplating a bath (my back is spasming a bit but a hot water bottle seems to be working...that's my bit of sand bagging out of the way :) )

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Haha jealous probably, as I am :(:D:D
    She's fine as back giving out about my massive lie in.

hah, I had a lie in this morning, boys weren't up until 7:15.... :rolleyes:

Feeling much better now thanks, was an awful dose, but will be lacing up the runners today and taking in a few hills... yaay! and looking out for clontarf results too of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

hah, I had a lie in this morning, boys weren't up until 7:15.... :rolleyes:

Feeling much better now thanks, was an awful dose, but will be lacing up the runners today and taking in a few hills... yaay! and looking out for clontarf results too of course.

Straight into the hard stuff then. Fair play !glad your feeling better

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Straight into the hard stuff then. Fair play !glad your feeling better

Thanks Bluesquare... not much choice around here, I'm in Donegal so there's a hill in every direction :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Thanks Bluesquare... not much choice around here, I'm in Donegal so there's a hill in every direction :)

Enjoy your run - its great to get out and escape your brain for a while after couple of days of forced rest. With the kids of school my brain felt like it was going to explode if I didn't get out!! Your runs must be lovely - as I beautiful . Jealous

Enjoy your run. Snuggle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Enjoy your run. Snuggle.
    Get out of bed & go for a run aquinn!!! Its a beautiful day, made for running :)
    Anna glad to hear your on the mend

Enjoy your run. Snuggle.

I thought this was advice on running technique for a minute... :p since I was planning this run with D and we are already local oddities for running, thought it best to ignore :pac:

Monday, April 6
    50:45 min/5.1 mi, 9:57 per mi/8.2 km, 6:10 per km

The only good thing about being sidelined by a tummy bug since Wednesday is... how great it felt to be out for a run today... loved that endorphin rush!

After a very low mileage week, considered doing yesterday's longish run today, but thought it more sensible to ease back in so aimed for 50 min easy.

It was a glorious morning in Donegal, headed off with D on our favourite local 5 mile loop... while some on here were overtaking each other around St Anne's, we passed dozens of lambs, 3 donkeys, 6 barking dogs, a shetland pony and one lizard crossing the road... maybe half a dozen cars, and a few local farmers who look at us as if we are mad.

D is a day or two behind me with the bug, so I enjoyed this run a lot more than he did :p so happy to be feeling relatively normal again. And looking forward to more good weather :D

Week of Mar 30: 20.2km/12.5 mi :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Monday, April 6
    50:45 min/5.1 mi, 9:57 per mi/8.2 km, 6:10 per km

The only good thing about being sidelined by a tummy bug since Wednesday is... how great it felt to be out for a run today... loved that endorphin rush!

After a very low mileage week, considered doing yesterday's longish run today, but thought it more sensible to ease back in so aimed for 50 min easy.

It was a glorious morning in Donegal, headed off with D on our favourite local 5 mile loop... while some on here were overtaking each other around St Anne's, we passed dozens of lambs, 3 donkeys, 6 barking dogs, a shetland pony and one lizard crossing the road... maybe half a dozen cars, and a few local farmers who look at us as if we are mad.

D is a day or two behind me with the bug, so I enjoyed this run a lot more than he did :p so happy to be feeling relatively normal again. And looking forward to more good weather :D

Week of Mar 30: 20.2km/12.5 mi :(

I hope you ran it 2 steps in front of him :)

TbL

I hope you ran it 2 steps in front of him :)

TbL

Lol... luckily there was no wind (of the meteorological variety).

Tuesday:
    Nothing... plan called for a 5k pace session but a timing malfunction left me with a choice between making dinner for the family or going for a run... sense of duty won out :(

Wednesday:
    4.66 mi/7.51km in 45:30; Avg Pace: 9:45/mi; 6:04/km

Session today was provided by the hills... this was a good to be alive, exhilarating, glorious run on a fabulous morning around a loop which had a 110 m elevation gain and similar loss. Which meant... I started out hurtling down a very steep hill, had a couple of fantastic km at sea level along the shore of Donegal Bay, then inevitably headed back up, up, up with a downhill finish. The splits tell the tale, with the effort in inverse proportion to the speed :):

9:16 min/mi 5:46 min/km
    8:54 5:32
    9:13 5:43
    10:38 6:37
    11:07 6:54
    10:08 6:18
    9:38 5:59
    8:31 5:16

Loved it and felt great afterwards. Which was just as well because spent most of the rest of the day in Lurgybrack open farm/playground with the kids. I did get to see Donegal's entire emu and llama population :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

lovely! Glad you are back to it ...

• Advertisement

Thursday, April 9: 50 mins easy

8.5km; 5:57 min/km or
    5.28 mi; 9:34 min/mi

Another lovely run, out and back this time, undulating hills... only 55m elevation gain and loss today. Almost too hot at times... I know, I know, I'm not complaining.

The postman paced me for about 3k... in his van, going up and down driveways. An Post could save a fortune in fuel if rural houses had postboxes at the bottom of their driveways (I can hear the howls of complaint now, end of rural life as we know it, etc). I beat him in the end :)

Wildlife count for this evening... one herd of deer and two pheasants enjoying the evening sun in front of the house.

Advertisement