Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microchipping a cat and other questions

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭thehouses

boomerang wrote: »
    Sorry thehouses, took you up wrong on that.

The thing is though, for the price of an Animal Guard chip delivered through the post and Animark registration online, you could just go to your vet and get them to do the chipping and registering for you. Most vets I know in Limerick are only charging €20 and this includes registration. It's often even less, when the vets are running a promotion (one vet here often discounts chipping to €10 for an entire month).

You need a scanner to confirm the chip is functioning, conforms to the barcode number and is readable after implantation. That's another €70-€100.

If the chip is to be effectively registered (i.e. not just with Animal Guard) and scanned to ensure then the DIY option is no great saving, in addition to being a legal grey area. No lay person should be chipping. It's really *not* as simple as you are making out.

If the vet does it that cheap then that would be more cost effective. As I wrote earlier my local vets have no problem letting people use the microchip reader to make sure the chip is in correctly so that would mean it is not that expensive. If some vets are able to microchip for a tenner that goes to the heart of my original point - for the easiness of the job they are overcharging. I have heard of a vet charging 45 euro...and that is crazy money.

DBB wrote: »
    Sorry thehouses, but that's simply not true.
    Fido are really, really easy to work with for pounds and rescues, because they have long since given almost every pound and rescue online access to do searches for microchip numbers, allowing us to very quickly establish who owns a stray dog.... It's done in moments.
    With animark, access for pounds and rescues is far more limited, meaning that more pounds and rescues have to ring them.... That's a pain, particularly because they're not so available outside office hours.

Similarly, when we get a dog surrendered to us, it's a simple matter of emailing Fido to get them to re-register the dog for us. With Animark, we have to write them a hard copy of a letter, and post it to them. That is also a pain, and takes up valuable time and resources.

As I have explained before, fido are absolutely, categorically the database of choice in terms of their accessibility, and most importantly in terms of them being so much more attractive for pounds and rescues to help reunite owners with their dogs, because they're so accessible.
    For the sake of a few quid, for the reasons above it would be madness for an owner not to make sure their dog is registered with fido.

I take those points on board and Animark should be more accessible. Sometimes businesses leave you scratching your head when you have to jump through hoops to get things done!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

thehouses wrote: »
    I take those points on board and Animark should be more accessible.

One thing that must be pointed out... Animark, despite their reduced ease of access compared to Fido, are streets ahead of Animal Guard. Animark may be more cumbersome to use, but once you get them, they're very open and helpful to pounds and rescues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I have heard of a vet charging 45 euro...and that is crazy money.

I agree! When my dogs were chipped (back in 2006) it cost me €100. :mad:

€100! :eek: I mean, who is going to spend that much to chip their dogs?

Thankfully it has come down in price hugely and with microchipping becoming mandatory next month I'd hope not only will the price stay down, but it may even come down a little more, as there is more and more take-up.

I guarantee you though, the vet offering €10 microchipping occasionally is not even breaking even. He does a lot of rescue work though, so is anxious to see more and more dogs easily reunited with their owners.

He/she sounds like a good vet and is definitely making a loss on that. Reuniting people with their pets is what microchipping is all about!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭DerTierarzt

You could do it yourself for a fiver if you buy the chip with animalguard.ie.

Just to clarify, this is illegal as per the Veterinary Practice Act 2005. It is a procedure requiring skill and training for a subcutaneous injection.
    (ii) identifying and carrying out treatment, whether surgical or medical in nature, of any matter referred to in subparagraph (i),

(iii) performing a surgical procedure,

Advertisement