Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Cross

Options
  • 02-02-2015 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hi all,

Can anyone give a rundown of the training involved with the red cross.

I am very interested in joining but I am looking for some info.

How long does it take to be trained to be able to volunteer and events?

If one was interested in furthering there interests to EMT level how long roughly does it take to get that far?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

Out of interest, why limit yourself to one organisation ?

Is there any other organisation where you live?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

Pending on your level of commitment and time in the organisation you may be placed on an EMT course. You would first do your basic first aid, CFR and EFR first. if I had to put a figure on it I would say somewhere between 2 and 4 years between joining and placed on an EMT course but that depends on a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

Pending on your level of commitment and time in the organisation you may be placed on an EMT course. You would first do your basic first aid, CFR and EFR first. if I had to put a figure on it I would say somewhere between 2 and 4 years between joining and placed on an EMT course but that depends on a lot

Many thanks for feedback!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 hatty444

Hi,

I have been a member of the Red Cross for around 3 years. The Red Cross will cover any event that may require an ambulance.

They normally train once a week for around 2 hours during the evening hours.

First off you need to get membership (anual) which costs 35euro as a once off payment and 10 euro every year after that. You will then receive a membership card this is your ticket for duty's. Every member of the Red Cross Membership will run out at the end of the year so if you register in January your card could take up to 3 months because of the amount of applications of renewals.

First in the Red Cross you will do a Practical First Aid course which is accredited by the Red Cross. This normally takes 2 to three months depending on how often you train. It then finishes up with an exam, theroy based and practical based. This course is fairly basic.

After you receive your membership card you will be allowed go on duty's as an observer or a First Aider (If Qualified)

After that Practical First Aid its CFR and then Intermediate First Aid and then EFR This normally takes around 2 years. Depending on how many duty's you do you will be put forward for an EMT after around 3-4 years as this course is very expensive. Or you could pay for the course yourself but it is easyier to do it in the red cross as you learn the basics and you build on it until your an EMT. This is the best way because you arnt as likely to fail. It is a fairly hard course if you nothing about Pre-Hospital Emergency Care before doing it.

Best of Luck

Dean

Advertisement