Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tick removal

• 02-02-2015 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    Just found a tick right on the outer corner of the cat's eye. What's the best way to remove it? As it's tight against the eye, I presume bleach is out.

Any help?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

The best way is a Tick removal tweezers. Your local pet shop should have some.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Falcon L wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    Just found a tick right on the outer corner of the cat's eye. What's the best way to remove it? As it's tight against the eye, I presume bleach is out.

Any help?

Jeepers, yes, bleach is out, as is any direct application of chemicals!
    You could treat her with a spot-on product on the back of her neck, but it will take a day or two for Mr. Tick to die.
    The other option is to get a tick hook or tweezers (you may get one from your vet or pet shop, a handy thing to have) and physically remove it by twisting, then pulling. The twisting bit is really important!
    Tis very cold for ticks to be about, but I suppose you never know with the disgusting little feckers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

Got it with a fine tweezers I use for hobby. She's not at all happy though. Normally she's a greedy little thing, but she won't even sniff at her favourite treat. She had to be restrained and I think it has shocked her. Her breathing is a bit fast and shallow.

I'm sure she'll come around after a sleep in the sun. Had to be done, I suppose. :(

They are disgusting creatures... Ick.
    Ticks I mean, not cats :D
    No harm to get yourself a tick hook or tweezers anyway, just to have it. They're not at all expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's very important not to either squeeze the body of the tick, or to use any kind of chemical on them as this may provoke it to regurgitate it's infected stomach contents into the host, not a good idea! Also, contrary to commonly accepted practice, it's now considered best to avoid twisting and to simply pull the tick out straight.

http://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/about-ticks/tick-removal/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

I was shown a trick in the UK where you 'twirl' your finger rapidly around the body of the tick so the edge of your finger swipes gently against the ticks body. After 10 or 20 'twirls' the tick unhooks itself and you can pick it up.

It works. I did it on a tick that was on the eyelid of a farmers Pom and off it fell.... stamp. stamp! Have used the trick a number of times when I am out with my girls with no tick tool on me.

TT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

Alun wrote: »
    It's very important not to either squeeze the body of the tick, or to use any kind of chemical on them as this may provoke it to regurgitate it's infected stomach contents into the host, not a good idea! Also, contrary to commonly accepted practice, it's now considered best to avoid twisting and to simply pull the tick out straight.

I caught it just behind the head, just about level with the skin. The head was one side of the tweezers and the body was on the other. It kinda came out with a pop. I should have taken a pic with it in the tweezers, but I just wanted to get it into the lit stove. Burn you little bastard! :)

Alun wrote: »

I'm not so sure there's any evidence that spot-on products cause the tick to regurgitate back into the wound, though these have a different modus operandi for killing a tick than, say, squirting nail polish remover on it!
    Also, the tick hooks do require you to twist... it says so on your link, and there's nothing on that website to suggest that there's a problem with this. The only potential problem tool-wise is using a tweezers (as opposed to the hook) as you may inadvertently separate the body from the head, or squash the tick, if you don't grasp it properly.

Advertisement