Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Commercial insurance on privately used jeep

Options
  • 02-02-2015 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

I know this topic has come up 100 times but I don't see an exact answer to somebody in my situation.
    I'm just about to buy a commercial jeep. It will be primarily for my own use and will be used sometimes during work. I am an employee of a company, not self employed.
    I am undecided whether to tax it commercially or privately. I only realised now that if I tax it privately, the new cheap tax rates don't apply. For example its an 08 2 litre so I thought it would cost something like €280 but it's actually €673.
    I've rang my insurance company and they say it doesn't matter how I tax it and they will insure me commercially because it is a commercial vehicle.
    I was out of the country working for a short time and previously I had the same job and always had commercial jeeps which I just taxed commercially. In other words, I would get the RF111A form witnessed by a guard and put my PPS number on it. There was never any questions asked by guards or in the motor tax office. I was also stopped at garda check points and nothing was ever said even though I would have had golf clubs in the back.
    However I realize what I was doing was illegal.

I now see on the a motor tax website that you can get your employer to write a letter.

"If the person is an employee and uses their vehicle solely for the use of their employment, a letter may be sought from the employer on headed paper stating VAT number and that the vehicle is used in the course of the person’s employment solely."

Although this would still not be 100% true as I would also use my jeep privately it may be more accurate than saying i'm self employed and using it for my own work.

So after a very long winded explanation , my question is, has anybody ever gone down the route of getting your employer to write the letter for you? or what would your thoughts be on doing this?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭mossy50

sorry never heard of it im driving vans for the last 20 years as PAYE electrician and never had any problems
    tax it commercially why change it
    as for insurance just make sure your policy has WORK & SOCIAL /DOMESTIC purposes

Advertisement