Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Templemore will never close again

• 02-02-2015 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Has anybody seen the articles on the comments enda made in the college today? I cant post links but i saw it on tipp fm and the journal... he said among other things the college will not close again.... views/thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭kahmen

i think its grate leves more opertntys for people like me and any outer personial that ar hoping to join ags some hope that thare will be recrut ment drives agen in the time to come

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Enda will cease to be Taoiseach at some point and it won't be his decision then.

Be careful of placing too much faith in politicians' utterings, especially when there's a general election in the offing.

FWIW though, I can't see them stopping recruitment again for the foreseeable, they have to try to get the numbers back up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

kahmen wrote: »
    i think its grate leves more opertntys for people like me and any outer personial that ar hoping to join ags some hope that thare will be recrut ment drives agen in the time to come

Not with writing like that you won't. Not being smart, you will need to improve your spelling, grammar and syntax a lot before you'd be considered for the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gardapa

Xios wrote: »
    Not with writing like that you won't. Not being smart, you will need to improve your spelling, grammar and syntax a lot before you'd be considered for the role.

Kahmen has mentioned before that he has dyslexia.

Kahmen I know I said it to you before but your grammer and spelling will be assessed during application process. I am going to be blunt with you because I think alot of your posts have been ignored so far, there is no point in you getting your hopes up. I know I would want someone to be honest with me.

From your posts I can say that you won't get through the application process. I know you will probably find this difficult but if I were you I would look at a different career.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭PUnited

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I can't see them stopping recruitment again for the foreseeable, they have to try to get the numbers back up again.

I'd hope so rural areas are awash with break ins since the cutbacks, its very distressing for older folks i know of.

• Advertisement

gardapa wrote: »
    Kahmen has mentioned before that he has dyslexia.

would that be a automatic no in this day and age? then again i suppose given all the reports , notes, etc youd be taking it could be very difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

PUnited wrote: »
    would that be a automatic no in this day and age? then again i suppose given all the reports , notes, etc youd be taking it could be very difficult.

Put it this way, I'm colour blind and as such can never become a pilot. I don't consider that discriminatory in any way, it's just the way it is.

To join the Gardaí you would need to be able to read, write and spell very well. There's a massive amount of clerical work involved like taking statements, writing reports and reading a lot about laws, and rules gardaí need to follow. Dyslexia would make this next to impossible (if not completely impossible).

So I would imagine dyslexia would be an automatic no. It would be very hard to facilitate somebody who's work involves so much reading and writing.

GerB40 wrote: »
    Put it this way, I'm colour blind and as such can never become a pilot. I don't consider that discriminatory in any way, it's just the way it is.

To join the Gardaí you would need to be able to read, write and spell very well. There's a massive amount of clerical work involved like taking statements, writing reports and reading a lot about laws, and rules gardaí need to follow. Dyslexia would make this next to impossible (if not completely impossible).

So I would imagine dyslexia would be an automatic no. It would be very hard to facilitate somebody who's work involves so much reading and writing.

yes i figured as much and total agree it cant be discriminatory given reading and writhing would be a large part of the job, thanks for you answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Hi Kahmen,

Dyslexia with help can be cured, I myself had it and grew out of it,

dont give up on your ambition to join AGS,

Put in the work and you get the rewards,

People are very quick to dampen others hopes on this thread,

best of luck with it,

Canyon86 wrote: »

People are very quick to dampen others hopes on this thread ,

I have no intentions to dampen anyone's hopes but as I said before Kahmen has asked a number of times in the past how his dyslexia would affect him, and each time he has been ignored.

I know very little about dyslexia but if like you said it can be cured then this is Kahmen's only hope. As it stands if he were to go through the application tomorrow he would fail and thats the truth of it.

Anyway no going to get to much into it because it is a sensitive subject. My advice to Kahmen is to get working on curing his dyslexia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭JonathanP

Can we please get back on the topic of the thread. Its to comment on what enda said today not about the particlars on peoples stance or chaces in a recruitment process.

Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

be fcking great if recruitment remained ticking over even an intake every six
    months would be great for morale and the country as a whole,

roll on the good times

stay positive lads and ladies:)

Canyon86 wrote: »
    be fcking great if recruitment remained ticking over even an intake every six
    months would be great for morale and the country as a whole,

roll on the good times

stay positive lads and ladies:)

I definitely do think we'll be seeing regular intakes of 100 for the forseeable future. I'd say another 100 will go in once the September intake hit the streets, another 100 after the December intake hits street and so on!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

JonathanP wrote: »
    Can we please get back on the topic of the thread.

Not too much happened. Noreen was the most important person in that room and on campus, the rest of the crew said their typical spiel about being the future, new changes and calling all the recruits "elites" of Ireland for getting ahead of all the others in the competition. I'm sure the words may have worked to motivate a lof the lads in templemore, but for those of us with smaller Ego's, I think we just saw through the vote buying thing.

Enda's words of never closing templemore again is just an empty promise, he can't stop it from closing once he's out of office. However, lots of hints towards bigger budgets were thrown around, which means there may be more intakes and the competition will continue to bring in more candidates.

The most significant things were the actual state visit of the campus, also the fact that it brings the recruits into the public eye, I know to use who've been eyeballing this forum on boards for the better part of 2 years now are well aware of what's going on, but I'd say a lot of the general population don't really know much at all, so this news does help a bit.

Also, hopefully, Enda and Frances realise the need for much more than 300 new recruits and they hurry up the restoration of the college dorms and employ more faculty to operate the college, but, i won't expect any of that until 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭kahmen

now i now this may be off topick but i want to say it here in fornt over every one that is atpteing and faling to put me down this is not me triing to start any thing this is me trying to show all ye somting firstly if people had told albert in stin cthis and he had given up on what he wanted to do then ware whud the world be to day we whud not have as good a under stadnign in the felds of physics as we do to day if genrl gorg s patern was to have given up we mit not have had the michin gun muated jeep im saying her is youes can say what youes want but whit modern tecnoligen and the will pwoer to work hard and try hard then we whud not be ware we ar im just sying this now as i stnad si here an typ this i fell prowd of my self for standing up form my self onces agen to poeple how try to put me down for being dislexsic telling me what i can and cant do i work hard and i get to what i want im a traing soud enginer and loving it and still working hard in scoill i have worked hard all my life and wen i start to injoy somting some one coems and trys to put me down now il say this the guards ar wanting to be come a modren polces serves then thay will adaprt the same sicets ass all outer services whic is computer recording and nowa days tare is a program that helps a lot call read and wirt goold that gos on a usb and works off that then on top of that if you look at the psni or any polces in engilen thay all give sapurts for dislexya now this is ware i stop and let youes all now that my will powere itusasim and corgedg are what i foces on and i use them to get and do what i want what my heart tells me 2 and my heart is telling me to join theguards so i will and i wll work hard at it till i get it.

ps thank you to all how stud up for me whit in this aspchily to jonthanp how sent me a lovely pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

now i now this may be off topick but i want to say it here in fornt over every one that is atpteing and faling to put me down this is not me triing to start any thing this is me trying to show all ye somting firstly if people had told albert in stin cthis and he had given up on what he wanted to do then ware whud the world be to day we whud not have as good a under stadnign in the felds of physics as we do to day if genrl gorg s patern was to have given up we mit not have had the michin gun muated jeep im saying her is youes can say what youes want but whit modern tecnoligen and the will pwoer to work hard and try hard then we whud not be ware we ar im just sying this now as i stnad si here an typ this i fell prowd of my self for standing up form my self onces agen to poeple how try to put me down for being dislexsic telling me what i can and cant do i work hard and i get to what i want im a traing soud enginer and loving it and still working hard in scoill i have worked hard all my life and wen i start to injoy somting some one coems and trys to put me down now il say this the guards ar wanting to be come a modren polces serves then thay will adaprt the same sicets ass all outer services whic is computer recording and nowa days tare is a program that helps a lot call read and wirt goold that gos on a usb and works off that then on top of that if you look at the psni or any polces in engilen thay all give sapurts for dislexya now this is ware i stop and let youes all now that my will powere itusasim and corgedg are what i foces on and i use them to get and do what i want what my heart tells me 2 and my heart is telling me to join theguards so i will and i wll work hard at it till i get it.

ps thank you to all how stud up for me whit in this aspchily to jonthanp how sent me a lovely pm

Mate I counted 5 spelling mistakes in your last sentence alone. Are you trolling? That spelling can't be for real? Not picking on anyone but come on.

Rte Claire Byrne on now saying that they reckon the state is reconsidering their decision on closing a lot of the rural stations. Things are starting to look up for recruitment in the future atleast:D:D:D

Sorry if I offended you kahmen. It wasn't my intention and I hope you know that.

Anyway all the best with it, hope it works out for you!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

carzony wrote: »
    Mate I counted 5 spelling mistakes in your last sentence alone. Are you trolling? That spelling can't be for real? Not picking on anyone but come on.

Above poster has already stated that he suffers from a learning support condition that affects his spelling and grammar. Please cut him some slack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

carzony wrote: »
    Mate I counted 5 spelling mistakes in your last sentence alone. Are you trolling? That spelling can't be for real? Not picking on anyone but come on..........

bit less time with the obsessing over spelling n you wouldn't have missed these bits ?
    ....try to put me down for being dislexsic....

psni or any polces in engilen thay all give sapurts for dislexya

A dose of dyslexia didn't seem to hold these people back - must've been had going though :

William Hewlett -

Hewlett-Packard, which was officially launched by the 25-year-old engineers on January 1st, 1939 with less than $550 in investment capital.

http://www.beingdyslexic.co.uk/pages/information/dyslexia-inspiration/famous-dyslexics/william-hewlett.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

To keep Templemore ticking over and not see it closing again, how many would be recruited a year? I know its election time but I don't think any Minister for Justice or Taoiseach will wan't to close Templemore again. Also, very positive words from the minister yesterday encouraging the new recruits to blow the whistle on bad practices.

Advertisement