Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is a machine identity?

Options
  • 02-02-2015 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

What is a machine identity? i trialled a program that needed to be registered and when it got to the page there was a serial i think and also a machine identity. I did not register it as i do not know what that means.

Is it unique to the computer or unique to the programs install on the computer? Can it be used to track the user?

On the shields up site there is mention of machine Id but it seems to refer to IP. This was not an IP

Anyone know what this is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,183 ✭✭✭batistuta9

MAC address
    unique to your network card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭FordDriver

batistuta9 wrote: »
    unique to your network card
    it is not the mac address. I can see the mac is different

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

The only possibilities would be: Mac address, IP address, serial number, service tag, make and model. I cant think of anything else it could be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭FordDriver

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    The only possibilities would be: Mac address, IP address, serial number, service tag, make and model. I cant think of anything else it could be.
    not mac/ip

Where is service tag. i have an old program by the same company and it has a different number for machine identity. maybe it is to prevent install on more than one pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

FordDriver wrote: »
    not mac/ip

Where is service tag. i have an old program by the same company and it has a different number for machine identity. maybe it is to prevent install on more than one pc.

Service tag generally would be on a sticker on the machine somewhere. Not all manufacturers provide service tags, what make and model of machine are you using?

• Advertisement
Advertisement