Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

overstocking a 50 litre tank

Options
  • 02-02-2015 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

How many guppies can I keep in a 50 litre non planted tank before I start running into issues?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Wobbly_Legs

There is an unwritten rule that ideally 1cm of an adult fish per litre.
    If your tank is 50L and you have an internal filter, heater or ornaments, you need to work out how many litres this is reducing the 50 litres by (it may only be a small amount)
    Going by the above rule without filter ornaments etc. I would go for about 10-15 guppies. These guys can get pretty long as adults.
    You could run into issues if your tank has not cycled fully, sometimes water parameters can show that it has cycled just before a huge spike in ammonia, i would advise not to add all the guppies at once maybe 5-7 a fortnight or week at most (Once the tank has cycled!), to avoide an ammonia spike.
    If you intend on not planting the tank you could get an air pump to disolve more oxygen into the water, however so long as the surface of the water is constantly flowing this is not needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Not2Good

I have 6 small goldfish in a 90 litre tank, is this too crowded...? I reckon as they grow I have to move three of them in there own similar tank?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

6 normal goldfish would require a tank of approximately 500l so yes, they're way too crowded in a 90l tank. If they're fancy (i.e. double-tailed, bubble eyed etc.) you might get away with 2/3 of them in a 300l tank but despite what the pet-shops say (and sell), goldfish belong in ponds, not most home aquariums.

I have to admit, Wobbly_legs, I think 10-15 guppies in a 50l would be pushing it a bit, I'd be aiming closer to 6/8. Planting the tank is definitely a good idea as they improve water quality drastically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Not2Good

Sleepy wrote: »
    6 normal goldfish would require a tank of approximately 500l so yes, they're way too crowded in a 90l tank. If they're fancy (i.e. double-tailed, bubble eyed etc.) you might get away with 2/3 of them in a 300l tank but despite what the pet-shops say (and sell), goldfish belong in ponds, not most home aquariums.

I have to admit, Wobbly_legs, I think 10-15 guppies in a 50l would be pushing it a bit, I'd be aiming closer to 6/8. Planting the tank is definitely a good idea as they improve water quality drastically

Thanks for the reply, will get them into two new separate tanks before they start growing

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Wobbly_Legs

Sleepy wrote: »

I agree with you, I was giving this as an example if there was no filter, ornaments, substrate etc :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement