Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need to buy ECU for Micra - Need Help

• 02-02-2015 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi,

I was told the ECU on my 2003 Micra needs replacing, I want to source the part myself online to save money. I notice some ECU units come with keys? Why is this the case?

Also do you have any advice when sourcing a ECU for a car?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

you should post in the motors forum. Not too many see a Micra as a classic yet (soon maybe :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Don't know about the keys, but ECU's are quite "car/model" specific. The best way to ensure that you're getting the right one is to look for the part number on the original. It will be clearly stamped or displayed on a sticker somewhere on it.

Manufacturers very often make subtle changes to a car during it's production, so that from one month to the next, some parts might not be interchangeable.

I don't know if you ECU will be "plug and play" insofar as it will just work, or it might need to be set up by a main dealer, but I doubt it. Most seem to just work from the get go and gradually "learn" from the car itself, if that makes sense. Have you considered getting one from a breakers? They can be rather expensive items.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Moved to Motors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

As others have said, ECU's can be tricky to buy second hand as they can be specific to model year, engine size and trim. The fun starts when you include immobilisers and security into cars in that the ECU and keys are matched. The car "reads" the key and if it matches the details in the ECU the car will start.

For the Micra, the ECU will vary between European or Jap models, auto or manual, optional equipment (interior light fade can be ECU controlled in some cars). I think the '03 Micra on uses canbus wiring and if so, its probably a main stealer job. If its not a canbus, I'd find a good auto electrician rather than a mechanic.

Advertisement