Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Young farmer top up

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Was just reading that, will have to phone our adviser tomorrow and see what the story is as regards me fein.

I've no cert but will it allow a timeframe in which to do one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Kovu wrote: »
    Was just reading that, will have to phone our adviser tomorrow and see what the story is as regards me fein.

I've no cert but will it allow a timeframe in which to do one.

I know if you start the course and haven't yet finished it your covered.
    Let me know what the adviser says!

Also how do you get your name on herd number? Dvo office?

Also how do you get your name on herd number? Dvo office?

I assume it would e the ER1 form signed by both names (parent and son/daughter) but I'm open to correction there as I've not looked into it yet.

Actually I think it may be the ER1.1 form; Application Form to register an interest in the role as 'Herdowners' in a herd number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

http://www.farmersjournal.ie/young-farmers-access-topups-through-parents-herd-number-173778/

Anybody doing this?
    Am I right in saying if I get my name on herd number and trained i get the 25% top up?
    Seems to good to be true!

We are doing that here.
    We have out farm also with no entitlements so I am applying to national reserve to get entitlements for it.
    Then we will apply for the top up on all the entitlements we have.
    Its a nice bit of money and it will bring back to us what we'll loose with the new cap.

• Advertisement

I assume it would e the ER1 form signed by both names (parent and son/daughter) but I'm open to correction there as I've not looked into it yet.

Actually I think it may be the ER1.1 form; Application Form to register an interest in the role as 'Herdowners' in a herd number.

Yes that's the one.
    Its to be in for end of march and national reserve is open now so might be best to get cracking on it.
    Also you need a joint bank account with who ever you are joining the herd number with. The dept won't pay out sfp if say my dads account is down instead of a joint acc

Yes that's the one.
    Its to be in for end of march and national reserve is open now so might be best to get cracking on it.
    Also you need a joint bank account with who ever you are joining the herd number with. The dept won't pay out sfp if say my dads account is down instead of a joint acc

Yea, one issue though, there's two of us looking to get on it. Wonder how that will work out?

I'll chat to adviser tomorrow or the next day anyway, there's no problem getting the account changed, that would only be a name change on it anyway.

We are doing that here.
    We have out farm also with no entitlements so I am applying to national reserve to get entitlements for it.
    Its a nice bit of money and it will bring back to us what we'll loose with the new cap.

So gg will you get the top up for the next 5 years?
    What did you have to do to get the joint account?
    Did it take long to get on the herd number?

So gg will you get the top up for the next 5 years?
    What did you have to do to get the joint account?
    Did it take long to get on the herd number?

Should do.
    Haven't decided if I'll go on account or if well just open a new one
    Few wks is all if all okay

Should do.
    Haven't decided if I'll go on account or if well just open a new one
    Few wks is all if all okay

Oh yeah a new account for the sfp would be a good idea. (It will keep the mother at ease in case i clean it out) ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

Big changes in one year. From reading this forum over the years the general consensus was that the course was a waste of time. There'll be a scramble now.

Big changes in one year. From reading this forum over the years the general consensus was that the course was a waste of time. There'll be a scramble now.

Almost sure Teagasc have said that no one will be turned away

Went away exploring the dept site there for a while.

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/nationalreserveandyfs/

The FAQ's answered one for me.
    I have not yet commenced an agricultural course leading to a recognised/accepted agricultural qualification. Does this mean I am not eligible? No, where an applicant intends to undertake such a course on or before 30th September 2016 he may be considered eligible. The applicant must supply documentary evidence of this commitment and the Department will monitor the applicant’s progress in achieving the award.

The links there will answer a few questions! The third one is the form to fill out for joint herd no.

Went away exploring the dept site there for a while.

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/nationalreserveandyfs/

The FAQ's answered one for me.

The links there will answer a few questions! The third one is the form to fill out for joint herd no.
    Good work. Will study it better I'm a bit fuzzy eyed

Good work. Will study it better I'm a bit fuzzy eyed

I'm gonna print it off and go visit the adviser before I apply, seems easy enough to figure out but may need a few coffees to get through all those pages of conditions :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

I think the general consensus maybe that the course content is still a waste of time, but don't really think anyone is interested in that at this stage. :D

I am under 40, no agri qualification but already have entitlements for all the land I have, high value entitlements at that. Also earn over 40k. Presume I still would be wasting my time taking the course? If there was an online version I could do in my own time I would give it a go outside of any financial benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mauser77

We are doing that here.

I'm not sure but heard a man say you can't do that if your in Co with let's say your father because he's not a young farmer you can't go to the reserve for new entitlements. But you can get the top up don't know if it's right or wrong tho

AP2014 wrote: »

I am under 40, no agri qualification but already have entitlements for all the land I have, high value entitlements at that. A.

Sure we all know that at this stage! When did you take over the farm? If in the last few years you'd get an SFP top up of about 65 per entitlement, not means tested. Also 60% shed grant. No fully distance course, have to turn up for about 20 days.

Sure we all know that at this stage! When did you take over the farm? If in the last few years you'd get an SFP top up of about 65 per entitlement, not means tested. Also 60% shed grant.

2012 officially transferred and entitlements. €65 top up per entitlement no matter what their current value? To be honest the 60% is hugh for a shed grant but for my size farm it wouldn't pay to spend 35/40k on a shed even with the grant.

Almost sure Teagasc have said that no one will be turned away

Larry,

In the west you could only do the course in either limerick or Roscommon. You had to book early to guarantee a place. Since the building boom finished the courses were packed. I had to travel from Galway to Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 brainbox

Is this as straight forward as i read. In my position im currently in the middle of a Level 8 agriculture degree. I do a hell a lot of work on the farm. Is it just a matter or putting my name on my fathers herd number??
    I dont have to have any land in my name??
    Is there a max cut off of entitlements my father can have?
    Then is there tax implications - name on bank account would you have to form a partnership all that?
    Anyone able to shed some light on this?
    Surely there will be a huge amount of applications for this and everybody will end up getting very little.
    Also do you need a degree of any related ag cert qualify for this??

2012 officially transferred and entitlements. €65 top up per entitlement no matter what their current value? To be honest the 60% is hugh for a shed grant but for my size farm it wouldn't pay to spend 35/40k on a shed even with the grant.

Ya, 65 based on national average. You'd be a clown not to build a shed in my opinion, even with your summer system. You'll never qualify for that again. 15k over a few yrs is nothing to repay and goes against your massive tax bill with capital allowances etc. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

I'm gonna print it off and go visit the adviser before I apply, seems easy enough to figure out but may need a few coffees to get through all those pages of conditions :pac:

Are you qualified with a degree etc, if so the online option could be an option

Farrell wrote: »
    Are you qualified with a degree etc, if so the online option could be an option

Nope, my brother has one. I am the black sheep......:cool:

Brainbox AFAIK, your degree will cover you for it. You don't need any land in your name but you will need to get your name into a joint herd number with him. See the link I posted above for more info, I haven't read through it fully yet to answer you completely :o

mauser77 wrote: »
    I'm not sure but heard a man say you can't do that if your in Co with let's say your father because he's not a young farmer you can't go to the reserve for new entitlements. But you can get the top up don't know if it's right or wrong tho

We've been told by one man who knows nearly all there is to know about this so I'd be quiet confident it will be okay..out farm is in my name so I will get entitlements just a getting top up them

Ya, 65 based on national average. You'd be a clown not to build a shed in my opinion, even with your summer system. You'll never qualify for that again. 15k over a few yrs is nothing to repay and goes against your massive tax bill with capital allowances etc. :-)

15k over a few years....how much would a shed cost for say 50 head of cattle? I am a high earner paye so I could take a hit for a few years and claim back. I am not there most of the winter so the shed maybe empty :D Also the cost and time involved in agri degree would have to be factored in. I already have non ag degree and couldn't afford too much time away from work.

Nope, my brother has one. I am the black sheep......:cool:

Brainbox AFAIK, your degree will cover you for it. You don't need any land in your name but you will need to get your name into a joint herd number with him. See the link I posted above for more info, I haven't read through it fully yet to answer you completely :o

Just heard of a 2 night a week course in Ballyhaise that would suit you, but it's full up ..... typical!

15k over a few years....how much would a shed cost for say 50 head of cattle? I am a high earner paye so I could take a hit for a few years and claim back. I am not there most of the winter so the shed maybe empty :D Also the cost and time involved in agri degree would have to be factored in. I already have non ag degree and couldn't afford too much time away from work.

The course is around 18 months and is manageable with a full time job. A shed is an asset, even if it's empty for a start. You're system might change in time.

Just heard of a 2 night a week course in Ballyhaise that would suit you, but it's full up ..... typical!

No worries, I'm working on something else to suit me ;)

• Advertisement

The course is around 18 months and is manageable with a full time job. A shed is an asset, even if it's empty for a start. You're system might change in time.

Cheers I will look into it, could be handy down the line and always could rent out as well. Any ball park costs on courses?

Come on AP get off your ass & quit the excuses, a few evenings with us "want to be farmers" won't kill you

Cheers I will look into it, could be handy down the line and always could rent out as well. Any ball park costs on courses?

The course is around 2k I think. Shed cost are debated here the whole time. Make your mind up soon either way!

Come on AP get off your ass & quit the excuses, a few evenings with us "want to be farmers" won't kill you

That's just it I need to get off my ass and do something. I think I am the 'want to be farmer' and ye are the real ones. Feck not sure if the extra €65 per entitlement will pay for the course? The shed idea is interesting though and might take the counts advice on that one. Heard lads on here say it can be as cheap without the grant sometimes and things get inflated because of grant. Will give it some serious thought though.

Jaysus sure if there are practicals I may learn how to inject a bullock and do some fencing. Jesus few lads here could be lining up to hit me a few slaps. Better be careful on class nights out.

The course is around 2k I think. Shed cost are debated here the whole time. Make your mind up soon either way!

Thanks I will start looking into it straight away. Will look back over shed costs now as well, have a 3 bay hayshed so would just need a tank and a wall around it. Could be a handy one. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

the way you are going AP you wont be posting on the money in beef thread anymore,you quickly learning ways to blow any profit in the system:P

• Advertisement

That's just it I need to get off my ass and do something. I think I am the 'want to be farmer' and ye are the real ones. Feck not sure if the extra €65 per entitlement will pay for the course? The shed idea is interesting though and might take the counts advice on that one. Heard lads on here say it can be as cheap without the grant sometimes and things get inflated because of grant. Will give it some serious thought though.

Jaysus sure if there are practicals I may learn how to inject a bullock and do some fencing. Jesus few lads here could be lining up to hit me a few slaps. Better be careful on class nights out.
    I did the 3 week & 2 week 180hr course when I finished college, 1 course practical & 1 theory supposedly with intentions like you of learning correct procedures - we rarely left the classroom!
    If you can spare the time, it's worth a try as it may come in handy someday

keep going wrote: »
    the way you are going AP you wont be posting on the money in beef thread anymore,you quickly learning ways to blow any profit in the system:P

I know, my thread for 2015 will be 'made a bollox of it all, lost my shirt, am on a rubbish course learning feck all and making fooken repayments on a shed that is empty.'

I did the 3 week & 2 week 180hr course when I finished college, 1 course practical & 1 theory supposedly with intentions like you of learning correct procedures - we rarely left the classroom!
    If you can spare the time, it's worth a try as it may come in handy someday

That sounds like the one for me. how do you mean 2 3 week and 2 week? Was it split over a day a week or 3 weeks solid and then 2 weeks solid?

That sounds like the one for me. how do you mean 2 3 week and 2 week? Was it split over a day a week or 3 weeks solid and then 2 weeks solid?

Back in the day it was solid 3 week & a solid 2 week blocks, I did it over 2 years annual leave

I know, my thread for 2015 will be 'made a bollox of it all, lost my shirt, am on a rubbish course learning feck all and making fooken repayments on a shed that is empty.'

By Jesus, we'll make a poor farmer of you yet. Misery loves company :-) a nice blasth of suckler cows now and a pedigree limousine bull.

• Advertisement

Back in the day it was solid 3 week & a solid 2 week blocks, I did it over 2 years annual leave

I think that one was pulled unfortunately, looks like it would have been ideal. I will drop teagasc a mail tomorrow and see what is out there now. As in the least hrs and work commitment and ends with the vital piece of paper.

By Jesus, we'll make a poor farmer of you yet. Misery loves company :-) a nice blasth of suckler cows now and a pedigree limousine bull.

I'm hoping to sleep this off, jesus I will be into running a few sucklers over the winter if I keep this up. Cutting hedges and fencing next, probably reseeding and fookin out P and K as if I had money to burn.

Jesus ye lads will have no one to abuse either. The forum could become a dull place :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

Im doing the 18 month course, 2100 its costing plus all the days off work!
    Friends of mine are doing it in another ag college and can do it on a saturday there!

Re the partnership, you go jointly on the herdnumber, sign the partnership legal form and go jointly on the farm bank account...
    Now he might be wrong but our accountant at home has advised that there are serious tax implications if you go down this route with your parents...

ITs not as easy as it sounds as just go on the account, go on the herd number, away you go!

Correct us if were wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

How much is the top up worth? Is this different than the installation aid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

oxjkqg wrote: »
    Im doing the 18 month course, 2100 its costing plus all the days off work!
    Friends of mine are doing it in another ag college and can do it on a saturday there!

Re the partnership, you go jointly on the herdnumber, sign the partnership legal form and go jointly on the farm bank account...
    Now he might be wrong but our accountant at home has advised that there are serious tax implications if you go down this route with your parents...

ITs not as easy as it sounds as just go on the account, go on the herd number, away you go!

Correct us if were wrong.

Would be interested as regards tax implications, in ag college at the moment, farm coming to me, don't know to put it into a partnership or sign it over or leave all for a few years. I was of the opinion that partnerships had costs associated with them?? Then if I enter a partnership does it screw me up re grants for education which could be worth more than 2.5K a year to me.

We've been told by one man who knows nearly all there is to know about this so I'd be quiet confident it will be okay..out farm is in my name so I will get entitlements just a getting top up them

Out farm been in your name it might work for ya that I don't no only sayin what I heard be worth going to an adviser just to see. If you have your own herd number your good but if it's a joint one I don't think you can get entitlements because if that's the case your father get entitlements to because it's joint an he's not a young farmer

mauser77 wrote: »
    Out farm been in your name it might work for ya that I don't no only sayin what I heard be worth going to an adviser just to see. If you have your own herd number your good but if it's a joint one I don't think you can get entitlements because if that's the case your father get entitlements to because it's joint an he's not a young farmer

Advisir has confirmed what were doing and should be able to qualify for the top up

Advisir has confirmed what were doing and should be able to qualify for the top up

Sure better than nothing I suppose 😉

Anybody know anything of the tax implications on this?

Or does anyone know if your getting your name out on herd reg do they come out and inspect as if your getting your first one ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement