Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Young farmer top up

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Irishmale

Do you need your own herd number to apply for NR entitlements or can you do it with a joint one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Sami23

Sami23 wrote: »
    Wonder will the Dept. have direct contact with Revenue to check P60's and cross check them or will they just go with what people scan in to them on the application ? :confused:

Anyone ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭epfff

The same was highlighted to me, and at 33% on entitlement market value not yearly value with only 1870 tax free allowence it could be an expensive one.

Correct me if this I'm wrong
    but at this very time entitlements for 2015_2019 do not exist yet
    You cannot trade them so they have no value
    So if new farmers are liable for tax are old farmers not liable too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭ABlur

Sami23 wrote: »
    Anyone ?

Of course they have, anytime free money is being given out it has to be verified. Our overlords in Europe insist on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

epfff wrote: »

I would think you are right on that one,....there will be some agreement on it to cover all Farmers,young,old or 'forgotten' I would think,otherwise they would not have bothered coming up with the 25% top up idea in first place if a tax issue would put farmers off availing of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

I would think you are right on that one,....there will be some agreement on it to cover all Farmers,young,old or 'forgotten' I would think,otherwise they would not have bothered coming up with the 25% top up idea in first place if a tax issue would put farmers off availing of it.
    Yeah I agree. It would be one step forward two steps back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

rangler1 wrote: »
    Your entitlements are averaged over all the land you declare, if your entitlements workout at less than the average for the country, it'll be increased a bit by 2020, if it's more than the average, like mine, it'll be cut:mad:

I was afraid that was going to be the case alright, I'm going to be cut nicely so :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

simx wrote: »
    I was afraid that was going to be the case alright, I'm going to be cut nicely so :(

A few of us will be, but if you were at forgotten farmer talk last night you might be greatful for what you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Kovu wrote: »
    Afraid we're the opposite with value of entitlements, above average here :o
    Ya same here, so we defin won't get anything out of national reserve? It's only to bring up lower value entitlements is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Ya same here, so we defin won't get anything out of national reserve? It's only to bring up lower value entitlements is it?

I'll get back to you on that. Am up terrorising dubs today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭smokey-fitz

I asked the same question and was told that they will open for trade next year so they will have a value, anywhere from 2 to 4 times their yearly payment. They can also be traded at the moment if land is bought or sold. And its not the young farmer that will be hit with the tax, it will be the existing farmer that is effectively gifting you with entitlements that will be hit with the tax.

Im only letting you guys know what I was told by advisor so dont be shooting me down :) hopefully its not the case because im in the same boat. Worth finding out for yourselves anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Kovu wrote: »
    I'll get back to you on that. Am up terrorising dubs today.

Give them plenty of stick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

I asked the same question and was told that they will open for trade next year so they will have a value, anywhere from 2 to 4 times their yearly payment. They can also be traded at the moment if land is bought or sold. And its not the young farmer that will be hit with the tax, it will be the existing farmer that is effectively gifting you with entitlements that will be hit with the tax.

Im only letting you guys know what I was told by advisor so dont be shooting me down :) hopefully its not the case because im in the same boat. Worth finding out for yourselves anyway.

I would have thought this to be the case aswell anyways...

If they currently had no value then there couldn't really be any difference in the value of entitlements so then no one would be loosing value on entitlements, for those above the national average or gaining value, for those lower than national average

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Tibulus

Am a little concerned about entering the young farmer scheme.

If I am added to fathers herd number then I am en effect half owner of all livestock and entitlements.

This may leave me liable for gift tax.

Another concern is that I will have to file separate tax returns and pay the accountant twice!

Tibulus wrote: »
    Am a little concerned about entering the young farmer scheme.

If I am added to fathers herd number then I am en effect half owner of all livestock and entitlements.

This may leave me liable for gift tax.

Another concern is that I will have to file separate tax returns and pay the accountant twice!

Herd number nothing to do with ownership of stock
    So your saying if you transfer cattle into someones herd for winter b&b they have to pay gift tax
    Good lad
    Herd number is simply who is responsible for care of stock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

So your saying if you transfer cattle into someones herd for winter b&b they have to pay gift tax
    Good lad

Ehhh, you might want to climb back down from your perch there lad! Herd nos. have 2 types of people associated with them, a 'Herdowner' and a 'Herdkeeper'.
    When Tubulus is talking about getting his name added to the herd number, he is talking about getting added as a 'Herdowner'. There can only ever be 1 'Herdkeeper'.
    If he is being declared as a Herdowner, then I'd say it'd have to have tax implications, but they might be avoidable through agricultural relief. I don't know what mechanism there is to register the equity in a herd i.e. If there are 3 Herdowners associated with a herd number, do they each own 33% or can it be divided 98/1/1? I'd be fully exploring your options with your dads accountant / agri advisor before I give up on it.

Good lad

What of the value of the entitlements?

Ehhh, you might want to climb back down from your perch there lad! Herd nos. have 2 types of people associated with them, a 'Herdowner' and a 'Herdkeeper'.
    When Tubulus is talking about getting his name added to the herd number, he is talking about getting added as a 'Herdowner'. There can only ever be 1 'Herdkeeper'.
    If he is being declared as a Herdowner, then I'd say it'd have to have tax implications, but they might be avoidable through agricultural relief. I don't know what mechanism there is to register the equity in a herd i.e. If there are 3 Herdowners associated with a herd number, do they each own 33% or can it be divided 98/1/1? I'd be fully exploring your options with your dads accountant / agri advisor before I give up on it.

You really know your stuff
    You should get a job with teagasc
    You seem to have the expertise that they like
    Very detailed explanation in simple language given by minister of ag on Dail record regarding this matter (I used this last week on a slightly more important issue)
    I would recommend you read this before you knock my information

You really know your stuff
    You should get a job with teagasc
    You seem to have the expertise that they like

Whats with the personal attacks?

• Advertisement

Zr105 wrote: »
    I would have thought this to be the case aswell anyways...

If they currently had no value then there couldn't really be any difference in the value of entitlements so then no one would be loosing value on entitlements, for those above the national average or gaining value, for those lower than national average

Personally id think that aswell, but they would need to be valued for tax reasons if changing/adding names because they are an asset. its the sort of situation that can be looked at in 100 different ways. So its a tough one to call. Id be getting advice on it by my accountant so im sure im not shooting myself in the foot. Cant see a point in a scheme that pays maybe 15k over 5 years on average entitlements and CA tax takes back something between 7 to 8k from original herd owner, plus solicitors and account fees on top. Not much of a incentive, so hopefully the tax is exempt from the scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Personally id think that aswell, but they would need to be valued for tax reasons if changing/adding names because they are an asset. its the sort of situation that can be looked at in 100 different ways. So its a tough one to call. Id be getting advice on it by my accountant so im sure im not shooting myself in the foot. Cant see a point in a scheme that pays maybe 15k over 5 years on average entitlements and CA tax takes back something between 7 to 8k from original herd owner, plus solicitors and account fees on top. Not much of a incentive, so hopefully the tax is exempt from the scheme.

Aren't you allowed receive €225000 tax free from your parents

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Whatsdastory

If you are current employement, sign up for this and the herd number is in your name (jointly), and you lose your job, are you entitled to draw the dole!!!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ihatewinter

Yeah you will be able to draw the Farm Assist

Aren't you allowed receive €225000 tax free from your parents

Yea I am, but as I said im not the one being taxed. My parents would be liable for the tax. As I said before I was made aware of all I said in privious posts by advisor, so its something that has to be looked into.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Irishmale

Is there not a retirement exemption from CGT where property was owned for 10yrs and seller is over 55? Or is that done away with now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Yeah you will be able to draw the Farm Assist

Just on that, I'm a part time farmer so if I should lose my paye job then I can't get dole (even though I've full stamps) just farm assist?
    Suppose it's allot less!

Farrell wrote: »
    Just on that, I'm a part time farmer so if I should lose my paye job then I can't get dole (even though I've full stamps) just farm assist?
    Suppose it's allot less!

There's a lot of young farmers out there deciding not to take over farms for that very reason

• Registered Users Posts: 38 p dogg

There's a lot of young farmers out there deciding not to take over farms for that very reason

Currently working with an advisor on the 25% top up, was supposed to meet with him last Friday until I received a text postponing the appointment due to possible tax implications popping up, I am after joining my fathers farm account and the next step was to be joint on the herd number, advisor is waiting on clarification on the tax implications issue before we proceed any further, is there anyone on here knowledgeable on the subject, a few doubts in my mind have been cast over this 25% top up, eg. Will it involve a hefty tax bill on my or my fathers behalf, leaving it not worthwhile going for it stall, I like many am working fulltime and just get to farm evenings and weekends, any info much appreciated

p dogg wrote: »
    Currently working with an advisor on the 25% top up, was supposed to meet with him last Friday until I received a text postponing the appointment due to possible tax implications popping up, I am after joining my fathers farm account and the next step was to be joint on the herd number, advisor is waiting on clarification on the tax implications issue before we proceed any further, is there anyone on here knowledgeable on the subject, a few doubts in my mind have been cast over this 25% top up, eg. Will it involve a hefty tax bill on my or my fathers behalf, leaving it not worthwhile going for it stall, I like many am working fulltime and just get to farm evenings and weekends, any info much appreciated

Ah, the sting in the tail. once your getting SFP, You'll have to declare farm income for tax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

Ah, the sting in the tail. once your getting SFP, You'll have to declare farm income for tax
    Larkill may be better placed, but potential tax question may arise because theres a requirement that the young farmer must prove they are the key decision maker. it was decided this would be demonstrated by name on bank account and herd number (I.e. herd ownership). If you purely do these things for "tick the box purposes", then there might be a risk you are accepting the bank balance and % of the livestock as gifts as at that date. Therein-raising a potential tax question, id say. If bank account was empty, that may help reduce any exposure, but at best your eating into your 225k lifetime allowance. I hope im wrong but.... :eek:

• Advertisement

Nettleman wrote: »
    Larkill may be better placed, but potential tax question may arise because theres a requirement that the young farmer must prove they are the key decision maker. it was decided this would be demonstrated by name on bank account and herd number (I.e. herd ownership). If you purely do these things for "tick the box purposes", then there might be a risk you are accepting the bank balance and % of the livestock as gifts as at that date. Therein-raising a potential tax question, id say. If bank account was empty, that may help reduce any exposure, but at best your eating into your 225k lifetime allowance. I hope im wrong but.... :eek:

I agree, there are too many possible implications with the scheme going down this route. If you are transfering farm and everything else this year then your ok, but if going joint on bank and herd no, you then have assets and that may affect future transfere or inheiritance also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭primary 2

would anyone be able to give me a bit of advice?my situation is i have my green cert done two years now,i have my own stock that are in my fathers herd number but i have my own cheque book and pay all my bills seperate to him,i rent 40 acres but it is in his name as he drew reps on it years ago as i had no green cert but i have been paying for it out of my account since the reps scheme finished,if i had this 40 acres in my name what would i be entitled to draw down annually? it is also in the disadvantage area,and i work off farm with a slary less than 26000 thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

p dogg wrote: »
    How you get on after with your advisor regarding the top up? I'm in the process of getting my name on the fathers herd number.
    My accountant is still unable to tell me what the tax implications will be and suggested asking the department (haven't got an hour to spare during the day), My advisor is telling me to speak to my accountant and also tells me that there is nothing finalised yet regarding funding.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    How you get on after with your advisor regarding the top up? I'm in the process of getting my name on the fathers herd number.
    My accountant is still unable to tell me what the tax implications will be and suggested asking the department (haven't got an hour to spare during the day), My advisor is telling me to speak to my accountant and also tells me that there is nothing finalised yet regarding funding.
    Did you get anything back yet about the herd number? I got 2 big forms to send back. Haven't looked at it yet as adviser coming this week

Did you get anything back yet about the herd number? I got 2 big forms to send back. Haven't looked at it yet as adviser coming this week

Not yet. I am stalling on the whole thing because of uncertainty regarding entitlements as when I have my name on the herd number I will own half of them. That is according to last weeks journal anyway. I don't think pop's is too keen on that!!
    Also my name must be on the farm bank account. Have to get that sorted too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Toplink

Not yet. I am stalling on the whole thing because of uncertainty regarding entitlements as when I have my name on the herd number I will own half of them. That is according to last weeks journal anyway. I don't think pop's is too keen on that!!
    Also my name must be on the farm bank account. Have to get that sorted too.

Just off the phone with my Dads accountant. He hasn't a breeze what the tax implications for me are under this arrangement.

He did mention that my Dad should avoid any tax bill as he is over 55 and there is exempt. No idea how true this is?

Anyway, he reffered me to Teagasc :D

I assume if the farm registers a profit that I would have to pay the higher level of tax on my 50% portion of the profit?

Toplink wrote: »
    Just off the phone with my Dads accountant. He hasn't a breeze what the tax implications for me are under this arrangement.

He did mention that my Dad should avoid any tax bill as he is over 55 and there is exempt. No idea how true this is?

Anyway, he reffered me to Teagasc :D

I assume if the farm registers a profit that I would have to pay the higher level of tax on my 50% portion of the profit?
    Who knows? Sure what farm makes a profit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 blockie

hi all,have really low entitlements here but over 40,however my wife is under 40 would putting herd number in our joint name qualify us for a top up entitlement currentl at 65 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭mayota

blockie wrote: »
    hi all,have really low entitlements here but over 40,however my wife is under 40 would putting herd number in our joint name qualify us for a top up entitlement currentl at 65 euro

Yes but she would have to have greencert or undertake to commence it before sept '16.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 blockie

thanks for reply my entitlements at moment are 73 euro what would they go up to with the top up and also how long would that course take to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭mayota

thanks for reply my entitlements at moment are 73 euro what would they go up to with the top up and also how long would that course take to do

Not certain what they'll go up to. You'll get a top up of €60 per entitilment up to a max of 50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭patrickn

If you qualify as a Young Farmer ie . under 40, set up within last 5 years, less than 40K gross income and Green Cert you can avail of National Reserve and Top up which they are estimating will be about 310 euro per entitlement up to 50 HA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Toplink

The latest update I have from Teagasc is that by entering a "farm partnership" you can avoid the gifting of the entitlements tax implications. This appears to be the recommended route from what I can see. This would allow you to avail of the top ups as a young farmer.

However I get the feeling that Teagasc are only half a page ahead on this and that information is being drip fed to them from above.

This appears to be the template form that's needed
    http://www.teagasc.ie/advisory/farm-partnerships/Registered_Farm_Partnership_Application_Form_Feb_2015.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 16 brainbox

I am getting things organised to apply for, the national reserve / young farmers scheme.
    Firstly I am applying to be added to a joint herd number I have the er1.1 filled out where do I send that?
    Other items I need am I right I saying.
    -Application form
    -Birth cert
    - Proof from bank to say name on joint bank account
    -educational details proof
    -a p60/21 anyone know how to get this online? Am registered for PAYE anytime
    there is also a form I see that has to be signed by a solicitor do I need to fill this out ? If so does this have to be submitted by the 31st March?
    All feedback welcome especially to those who have applied want to have everything kind of in order when submitting the application. Thanks :-)
    and also am I classed as a new entrant I have no previous applications/dealings with the Deptartment

brainbox wrote: »
    I am getting things organised to apply for, the national reserve / young farmers scheme.
    Firstly I am applying to be added to a joint herd number I have the er1.1 filled out where do I send that?
    Other items I need am I right I saying.
    -Application form
    -Birth cert
    - Proof from bank to say name on joint bank account
    -educational details proof
    -a p60/21 anyone know how to get this online? Am registered for PAYE anytime
    there is also a form I see that has to be signed by a solicitor do I need to fill this out ? If so does this have to be submitted by the 31st March?
    All feedback welcome especially to those who have applied want to have everything kind of in order when submitting the application. Thanks :-)
    and also am I classed as a new entrant I have no previous applications/dealings with the Deptartment

Have you transferred the entitlements?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 brainbox

Have you transferred the entitlements?
    How do you do that?
    Sure wont the entitlements be in my name when I get my name on the herd number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

How do you do that?

No, transfer of entitlements is a separate process.

How do you do that?

They stay in who Evers name they were in and you need to transfer them into both your names

They stay in who Evers name they were in and you need to transfer them into both your names

Can't they just be left in the original owners name?

• Advertisement

Can't they just be left in the original owners name?

Nope. I'm 99.9 % sure

Advertisement