Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prudential Ride London

Options
  • 02-02-2015 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Has any one ever done this event ?

I entered the ballot back in August and even though I haven't received an official place in the ballot there is a mistake on the website that lets you log on to check if you have been successful and it "seems" I have ,

Having never done a cycle outside of Ireland just wondering how to handle logistics etc,

It's a weird one as it starts and finishes in 2 different places , then there is bike shipping , where to stay , how to get from a-z , my sense of direction is hopeless then to top it all off :)

If anyone has done this and could shed some light it would be great before I take the leap when I get official confirmation and start booking stuff

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Marou

I did it last year. Unfortunately the weather was terrible which made cycling conditions very difficult. Nevertheless I still enjoyed the day and would highly recommend it. It's a great experience to cycle on closed roads through the centre of London and there's a great atmosphere. Everything is very well organised and it all runs very smoothly despite the numbers involved.

If you look up the final instructions issued for last year it will help you with logistics and explain how everything is organised. I can't post the link myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

Looks like i'm in myself based on my registration not being cancelled. Here's the link to last years guide

http://www.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/Assets/London+Marathon+Digital+Assets/Prudential+RideLondon/Downloadable/Prudential-RideLondon-Surrey-100-Final-Instructions-2014.pdf

Haven't figured out how i'm getting there myself yet but I have friends in london I can hopefully stay with or family just outside london if that falls through

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

I did it last year. Despite the horrendous weather thoroughly enjoyed it. No real banter amongst the cyclists as you would have on a sportive over here, but the atmosphere in towns along the route was fantastic. Well worth doing, highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Vivienne23

I just booked a hotel with free cancellation just incase 397 for premier inn Stratford , fly over Friday morning with ryanair and home Sunday I was thinking ,london is an expensive city to hang around in , would ye ship the bike over or fly with it ?

Thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Vivienne23 wrote: »
    I just booked a hotel with free cancellation just incase 397 for premier inn Stratford , fly over Friday morning with ryanair and home Sunday I was thinking ,london is an expensive city to hang around in , would ye ship the bike over or fly with it ?

Thanks for the info

I drove over, IMO the most stress free option. Have a brother over there so was fortunate enough to be able to stay with him. Cycled the 30k or so from his house in to Olympic park on the morning of the cycle. Pretty cool cycling through the heart of London with hardly a sinner about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Thanks for the info

Should be around 40 quid each way to take a bike on Aer Lingus, not sure about Ryanair. I'd book sooner rather than later if you're going to fly with it because they can only take a certain number on each flight.

Thanks for the info

I flew over with Ryanair to Stansted and got the National Express coach directly to Stratford. It was an extra €50 each way for the bike with Ryanair. Was a bit concerned that it would arrive in one piece but no problems at all with it. You will need to have it in a bike bag/box. If you don't have one yourself, I believe they can be rented out. You could also rent out a bike over there at the Excel Arena at registration but it's far better to have your own bike and know that it's set up correctly etc.

The cycle is on the Sunday so make sure you leave yourself enough time after the cycle to get back to the airport. You won't know your start time until closer to the event and it also does take a bit of time to get back to Stratford afterwards if you need to go back to the hotel. I stayed Saturday-Monday myself.

Thanks lads going to look up the final instructions tonight ,

I'm fierce indecisive at the moment ,

I have a camper I was half thinking of maybe heading over and make a week out of it but I dunno would I get a site close enough to the event , it might be as easy fly over and rent that's a great point ,

Do the hotels allow the bikes in hotels over there ?

I will need somewhere close to the start line anyway coz my sense of direction is cat Id get lost 10 miles from home :) it would be a terror to miss the start point , the task of the logistics is daunting to me

Just out of interest did anyone get an actual confirmation email yet ?

How tough is the actual cycle in comparison to the ring of Kerry ? Have done it the last 2 years and have started training for this years but think if London is happening I'll be giving it a miss

brianomc wrote: »
    Looks like i'm in myself based on my registration not being cancelled. Here's the link to last years guide

http://www.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/Assets/London+Marathon+Digital+Assets/Prudential+RideLondon/Downloadable/Prudential-RideLondon-Surrey-100-Final-Instructions-2014.pdf

Haven't figured out how i'm getting there myself yet but I have friends in london I can hopefully stay with or family just outside london if that falls through

Just to let you know I rechecked that link for registration and my status has changed to approved ,

I also messaged ride London they said overseas entrants wouldn't get a confirmation email until the end of the month , not sure what they are waiting for !!
    Payment opens tomorrow so if we get that we should be sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

Just to let you know I rechecked that link for registration and my status has changed to approved ,

Same as me. Looks good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Half tempted to do this, got my approval today... 367 euros for ride, flights and bike transported at moment, probably stay with friends, would it be worth it?

Didn't get in. Boo-urns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Doc07

Got in on the ballot, paid and got my confirmation email today.
    Would happily consider teaming up with any other Boardsies heading over.

What do you reckon the odds are of renting a bike in London that weekend?
    Reason for asking is transporting an 18 month old as well as a bike on Ryanair might be all a bit too much. Suppose I could drive the family and bike over if I can swing Friday-Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Doc07 wrote: »
    Got in on the ballot, paid and got my confirmation email today.
    Would happily consider teaming up with any other Boardsies heading over.

What do you reckon the odds are of renting a bike in London that weekend?
    Reason for asking is transporting an 18 month old as well as a bike on Ryanair might be all a bit too much. Suppose I could drive the family and bike over if I can swing Friday-Monday.

I got in. Might drive over but lots to consider.

It's our bank holiday weekend - I think - so that's good.

I have hired a full carbon bike from British bike hire and helmet for 80 pounds , also the beauty is they take it off you at the finish line so you don't have to worry about carrying it when ur finished to where ur staying , I emailed them though and they said book as soon as possible as the events sell out quickly,

I have entry paid , hotel booked , bike hired so only flights left , booked into premier inn stratford , 500 euros for 3 nights but I'm only planning on doing this the once so might as well splash out ,

5 people from my locality got in looks like the overseas entrants got on well this year ,

My credit card is getting a fair hammering though ! It will be worth it

Overseas entrants getting on well at the expense of people who actually live here :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

I'm in also..

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pazza

In too :-)

Any advice on logistics:
    1. I have booked a hotel in Straford (Staybridge suites) from Saturday to Monday. I presume all hotels etc. will be fine with a bike in them? Just big luggage!
    2. I am looking to see best way to get there (me & bike), and think that early flight on the Saturday to City airport with CityJet and early return flight on the Monday would work. I presume this would leave me enough time to register????
    3. Transporting a bike - never done this, but looking at the airline website, it seems that you contact them after your booking and IF they have room they will take the bike. Wrong way round as far as this trip is concerned, I need to be sure that the bike is coming! Am I reading this correctly? Any advice on how to fly with bike?
    4. I don't havce a box or bag - any advice on how best to pack my bike for flying?
    Thanks in advance :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Yarisbob

Got in as well ....! Dont know where it starts or where the route is.. Or how to get there and back.

I can get a bike box from a friend.

Bike, Bus , Plane, Bus , Hotel and start.

Disorganised as usual !!

• Advertisement

If you're flying aerligus what I suggest is phone the customer service and ask if there are Bike spaces On the flights you want. Have your browser open and Be ready to book.

Ask the operator to wait a minute on the line while you book yourself in. Then give them your booking refs and book the bike.

That's what I did a couple of years ago and worked fine. Don't know how Ryanair do it.

Overall though it's hassle - worrying about the bike, maybe extra weight charges etc. Worth it for a good event though.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Hi All,

I live on the route now, and didn't get in. Despite entering twice; once with my name in English and once with my name in Irish. The speculative side of me feels as though they prefer to give places to people who will inject tourism cash into the economy.

So I'm wondering if any successful ballot winners who don't want their place would be willing to pass it on to me. A friend of mine will be coming over for it, so I'd be very grateful if I could join him instead of just being hugely jealous of him.

Watched the event whizz past last year. It looked great despite the rain. I hope you all really enjoy it. I cycled some of the Olympic route on another sportive last summer and it was great.

gaffmaster wrote: »
    Hi All,

I live on the route now, and didn't get in. Despite entering twice; once with my name in English and once with my name in Irish. The speculative side of me feels as though they prefer to give places to people who will inject tourism cash into the economy.

So I'm wondering if any successful ballot winners who don't want their place would be willing to pass it on to me. A friend of mine will be coming over for it, so I'd be very grateful if I could join him instead of just being hugely jealous of him.

Watched the event whizz past last year. It looked great despite the rain. I hope you all really enjoy it. I cycled some of the Olympic route on another sportive last summer and it was great.

You should put down an Irish address next year and see how you get on. I've applied twice and have been successful twice. They don't post anything to overseas entrants, everything is handled through email so you won't miss anything in the post.

gaffmaster wrote: »
    Hi All,

Email today from the Prudential RideLondon team - if any use you could look to ride for one of the charities....content as follows:

PS. If you have family and friends who didn’t secure a ballot place, there are still ways they can ride the sportive. Hundreds of charities have guaranteed entries in the event and are looking for riders to tackle the sportive and fundraise for them. Visit our charity listings to find out more. Teams of four can also tackle the 100-mile challenge in our Peloton Relay – find out more here

Hi all

Can anyone who's paid up tell me how much the entry fee was?

It looks like it's gone from £58 to £85 for me. That sound right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

sbs2010 wrote: »
    Hi all

Can anyone who's paid up tell me how much the entry fee was?

It looks like it's gone from £58 to £85 for me. That sound right?

The same thing seems to have happened to my application..

It seems like a mandatory "donation"..

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Marty13

Hi folks, new to this but trying to solve a problem common to us all. Did the Pru last year, travelling over by car with the bikes in the boot. Shocking weather but didn't dampen the experience. Loved every minute of it, two punctures and all!

Anyway, it was quite the pain having to do the drive over and back so this year I've looked into getting a guy to bring it over in a van. I should also mention that there are 8 of us going in our group but there is likely to be space in the van for a few more bikes if this is something that interests any of you. The big benefit for us is the more bikes we get into the van, the cheaper it is per bike. The van would also bring gear bags etc. All going to plan, we will fly over and meet the van at an agreed point in London (probably registration in the ExCel). Same plan for after the cycle, meet at an agreed point and the van will bring the bikes home.

Also can highly recommend the Marriott on West India Quay for accommodation. Stayed there last year and it was remarkable the effort they went to for the cyclists. Special breakfast, bike parking, bike mechanic on duty the day before and morning of, jellies and bottled water in the rooms. All very slick. Doing it again this year.

Anyway, if the transport option is something that might solve a problem for a few, let me know! Happy training!

Marty13 wrote: »
    Hi folks, new to this but trying to solve a problem common to us all. Did the Pru last year, travelling over by car with the bikes in the boot. Shocking weather but didn't dampen the experience. Loved every minute of it, two punctures and all!

Anyway, it was quite the pain having to do the drive over and back so this year I've looked into getting a guy to bring it over in a van. I should also mention that there are 8 of us going in our group but there is likely to be space in the van for a few more bikes if this is something that interests any of you. The big benefit for us is the more bikes we get into the van, the cheaper it is per bike. The van would also bring gear bags etc. All going to plan, we will fly over and meet the van at an agreed point in London (probably registration in the ExCel). Same plan for after the cycle, meet at an agreed point and the van will bring the bikes home.

Also can highly recommend the Marriott on West India Quay for accommodation. Stayed there last year and it was remarkable the effort they went to for the cyclists. Special breakfast, bike parking, bike mechanic on duty the day before and morning of, jellies and bottled water in the rooms. All very slick. Doing it again this year.

Anyway, if the transport option is something that might solve a problem for a few, let me know! Happy training!

Marty - this sounds like a brillain idea? I would be interested in this, as I have not solved my travel dilema yet (have accom booked, but split between attmepting to fly/hire or ferry/train). Can you PM me to provide contact to review this option. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Geoff_Rooney

Hi all. I'm doing this event and will be travelling over from Dublin. Hope to travel on the Thursday evening. Is there still a group looking to get a van to go over?

• Advertisement

Hi Geoff - I didn't hear anything abck on this, I have since booked flight and bike hire there!

Advertisement