Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prudential Ride London

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Doc07

Marty13 wrote: »
    Hi folks, new to this but trying to solve a problem common to us all. Did the Pru last year, travelling over by car with the bikes in the boot. Shocking weather but didn't dampen the experience. Loved every minute of it, two punctures and all!

Anyway, it was quite the pain having to do the drive over and back so this year I've looked into getting a guy to bring it over in a van. I should also mention that there are 8 of us going in our group but there is likely to be space in the van for a few more bikes if this is something that interests any of you. The big benefit for us is the more bikes we get into the van, the cheaper it is per bike. The van would also bring gear bags etc. All going to plan, we will fly over and meet the van at an agreed point in London (probably registration in the ExCel). Same plan for after the cycle, meet at an agreed point and the van will bring the bikes home.

Also can highly recommend the Marriott on West India Quay for accommodation. Stayed there last year and it was remarkable the effort they went to for the cyclists. Special breakfast, bike parking, bike mechanic on duty the day before and morning of, jellies and bottled water in the rooms. All very slick. Doing it again this year.

Anyway, if the transport option is something that might solve a problem for a few, let me know! Happy training!

Any room left in the van?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Marty13

Doc07 wrote: »
    Any room left in the van?

Hey Doc07, yeah, there is room in the van. Do you want to PM me with your details?

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Anyone else take part in this yesterday?

It was a very enjoyable sportive. Weather was brilliant. Route was well marshalled. I especially enjoyed riding through the closed roads of London city.

I started late, and the food stops had run out of food. There were plenty of gels to go around, but they're nauseating after a while. This is the only real negative about it. Nothing beats the Ring of Kerry for tae and sangwidges.

On a serious and very sad note. A participant suffered a heart attack near the bottom of Leith Hill and passed away despite the best efforts of medics. Article here. May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

Sounds great. Anyone know when the entries open for next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

It does sound great and very well organised. It would be nice to think that those involved with the Great Dublin Bike Ride and the ROK were over in London picking up tips such as the staged start times.

• Advertisement

"The public ballot entry system for the 2016 RideLondon-Surrey 100 will open to all applicants at www.RideLondon.co.uk on Monday 10 August 2015. The ballot will close on Monday 8 January 2016 or when 100,000 registrations have been received – whichever is earlier."

The date for next year's Ride London is July 31st 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Doc07

Very enjoyable. Excellent logistics from the organisers. Definitely recommend it. It's not as much of a physical challenge like WW200 but very memorable from the huge numbers , closed roads and crowds cheering. Also very fast if you want it to be. I was an hour faster than what I would do at an Irish Sportive and that's even allowing for an extra stop for Icecream after Box hill.

I was a little worried about the massive crowds but in general people were well behaved apart from a few 'hero' descenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pazza

Yea, was a super event. Was also held up on Leith Hill - the poor man, after doing the free cycle with his wife and children the day before - very sad.

Logistically - it was amazing, although in the "pen" like sheet :) for almost an hour before was not ideal, but I suppose with the numbers they had was probably unavoidable.

The crowds that turned out were brilliant - their support was really great - although I was very tempted a few times to stop and ask for a burger with the constant smells of bbq's - especially as I was a late starter and all the food was gone.

In terms of progress, as I was a late starter the roads were all very busy (especially the hills) and had to slow (I know it wasn't a race, but it was timed, so wanted a nice time).

The main highs for me were 1) Quality of roads - would love to get some of them over here, I could climb Box Hill all day on that surface, 2) The weather, 'nuff said and 3) The support all along the route, and lastly 4) what about that finish - to cycle up the mall was cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Ballot entries are now open for next years event, bit of a difference in entry fee though, £58 for UK residents as opposed to £85 for overseas entries.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

Dragging up a old thread but looking for feedback who did this previously

Four of us heading over to do 100 mile. One of our group was sick a few weeks and is back into training tomorrow. She is worried about not having legs for the distance and hills! Looking at the map there appear to to be one or two places where you can take 10 miles out and/or avoid the larger climbs.

My question is are any alternative routes signposted to cut out small sections. I think she will manage it but would be nice to know there is alternative if she is struggling

Thanks

• Advertisement

Doing it again myself this year.

Last year, I didn't notice any signed shortcuts. To be honest, once you get down to the Surrey hills, it's fairly lumpy whichever way you go. I think Leith hill is probably the toughest section of the whole route. It's also the most skippable part. I haven't been on this road or anything, so I've no idea what this its like, but you could go from Abinger Hammer to Westcott, and skip Leith Hill. https://goo.gl/maps/5GBJSzxAsmG2

Box Hill is harder to skip because of the lay of the land.

Tell your friend not to worry, she'll be grand. It's a busy sportive on entirely closed roads, which should generate enough buzz get her through the full route. A whole month away too! Loads of time to train. Or get a motor shoved into the downtube.

Advertisement