Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

house insulation

Options
  • 02-02-2015 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Just wondering if anyone in the Dublin area has used 'Right Price insulation'?
    I saw their advert on Done Deal and gave them a call as I've just bought a property which requires full insulation.
    The guy gave a very competitive quote of €1300 (inclusive of VAT) for attic insulation as well as getting the front and back walls pumped (its a terraced 1930s property -cavity walls).
    The insulation used is earth-wool, how is this different to other insulation? I've been told its less itchy/allergic than fibreglass but is there any more I should be aware of?
    Some independent advice/experience would be really appreciated.

Also I cant find a webpage or any reviews for Right Price insulation so would love some feedback from anyone who has used them or who can recommend any other good insulation company that is competitively priced for that matter.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

nina_she wrote: »
    (its a terraced 1930s property -cavity walls).

would a 1930s property really have cavity walls?

I'm in a 1970s house and it's hollow block which can't be pumped, I was under the impression cavity wall construction was a 80s & 90s thing.

(this thread should probably be in one of the Rec->Home&Garden forums...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Is he giving you 300mm attic insulation? You might only be getting 150mm which isnt great. Also I dont think 1930s houses can be pumped. The walls are cavity blocks that can be filled properly

• Registered Users Posts: 68,900 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd be surprised if a 30s house is even cavity blocks let alone a cavity wall - shuttered concrete was common then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

You're probably better off asking over in Homes & Gardens, but I'd concur with the others about the cavity fill. The tradesmen over in the other forum are a great source of information.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Sounds dodgy to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shimmy Jimmy CocoPop

nina_she wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone in the Dublin area has used 'Right Price insulation'?
    I saw their advert on Done Deal and gave them a call as I've just bought a property which requires full insulation.
    The guy gave a very competitive quote of €1300 (inclusive of VAT) for attic insulation as well as getting the front and back walls pumped (its a terraced 1930s property -cavity walls).
    The insulation used is earth-wool, how is this different to other insulation? I've been told its less itchy/allergic than fibreglass but is there any more I should be aware of?
    Some independent advice/experience would be really appreciated.

Also I cant find a webpage or any reviews for Right Price insulation so would love some feedback from anyone who has used them or who can recommend any other good insulation company that is competitively priced for that matter.

Thanks!

Hi, my advice is to steer well clear of this crowd. They are based in Wexford but advertise all along the east coast and are very pushy with leaflets and cold calling. An elderly mother of a friend of mine had a terrible experience with them. A half done job, an independent inspector was brought out and it was found that the walls were only half pumped. She also has serious condensation problems in the attic because the attic insulation was not installed properly. They never came to fix the issues.

It is my understanding that SEAI dropped them due to very poor standards. Never get insulation done by anyone who is not on the registered contractors list.
    Cant post link but type SEAI registered contractors list into google

The fact they have no website and are selling really cheaply from donedeal should also set the alarm bells ringing.

Your best option is to get 3 or 4 quotes from 3 registered SEAI contractors in your area. Anyone who is registered have to adhere to strict guidelines and installation practices and fact inspections to ensure they do so.

Hope this helps.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Sounds terribly cheap. I would be wary.

Advertisement