Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private Collector Gallery

• 02-02-2015 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has recently submitted any art for sale to this gallery in Inisshannon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cork artist

Hey, have you got any feedback about the pcg? Any advice to offer when dealing with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Pcg

[
    Yes.....6 months ago and it sold well 3 months ago.....still awaiting payment.....very difficult

quote="Pcg;94120252"]Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has recently submitted any art for sale to this gallery in Inisshannon?[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cork artist

Ok thank you for your reply.. Seems to be a common problem with the gallery.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭James DD

Ok thank you for your reply.. Seems to be a common problem with the gallery.

Crap I just opened a thread oh same story sold no payment . Small claims here we go. How is this allowed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

James DD wrote: »
    Crap I just opened a thread oh same story sold no payment . Small claims here we go. How is this allowed

You can't claim for debts in the small claim courts.

I'd advise visiting the art dealer in person. Maybe as a group, especially if no communication is forthcoming from the business.

It seems like they are brazening it out considering the debts are probably not great taken on an individual level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 nussy

I have art there I bought at auction.He closed it 6weeks ago and no one knows how to contact him.Please pm me for more info and I hate to tell you it is not good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dpmaccaba

Hi all, I have an exhibition next month and ALL my work is with him..... He told me that two of my oil pieces were being sent to be framed..without notification before hand that was months ago... He opened back up but closed again about 2 months ago...ive been asking around west cork and court cases were mentioned I know of 2 other artists that are in the same situation.. Pm me please if anybody has a number ..ive been told he lives in Cyprus

On a side note is there currently any artist groups in the west cork area? I wouldnt mind joining if not id be interested in setting one up... Case in point it might prevent the antics that have come to pass recently if we have an artist collective? pm if you have any info.. or even if there is any sculptors or artists willing to critique my work

On a side note is there currently any artist groups in the west cork area? I wouldnt mind joining if not id be interested in setting one up... Case in point it might prevent the antics that have come to pass recently if we have an artist collective? pm if you have any info.. or even if there is any sculptors or artists willing to critique my work D P Mac Caba = FB Artist page

• Registered Users Posts: 22 paric

I thinks that is a great idea. The middle men become totalitarian. Artists become insecure/ripped off.
    If you could get rid of the BS language around art, let the artists run a factory for themselves government supported/art council as who has money for rent/insurance etc.
    If the collector wants to be carried along with vain high brow complex artistic chatter of the gallery owner so be it, it can be arranged.
    Let art be the end product not a means to an end but an end in itself and let the artists sell it themselves.
    Hire a factory space. Let's say it's a pop in terms of space. Blocks of 20 etc spaces representing each artist under the one roof.
    Something like an end of year degree show.
    Have displays fortnightly, or if an artist wanted to show for one day let them be able to do that, and the space is free to the artist for that time and they are responsible or could make someone else responsible for their space. Not all artists can sell.
    It could be social media advertised.

• Advertisement

That is exactly the ideas that are needed 50% commission is typical of the gallery owner. I find it very hard to think of any other industry that is so lucrative for a third part intermediary. The tourism factor alone for co-op exhibitions would great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

dpmaccaba wrote: »
    That is exactly the ideas that are needed 50% commission is typical of the gallery owner. I find it very hard to think of any other industry that is so lucrative for a third part intermediary. The tourism factor alone for co-op exhibitions would great

That is the reason I used to do my own shows. I would hire a hotel function room for the weekend and invite everyone I could think of. The room usually cost approx €200 plus I would give them a few quid for corkage, I would bring my own wine (2 litre boxes).

The opening would be on the Friday night and it would run until Sunday.

This way you get to keep all the money.. :D

200 euro seems very cheap? I'm looking into the option of a pop up gallery in a west cork town ..there seems to be an appetite for local crafts along the wild Atlantic way.. My prices can drop if I'm not forking out 50% to some crook.

200 euro seems very cheap? I'm looking into the option of a pop up gallery in a west cork town ..there seems to be an appetite for local crafts along the wild Atlantic way.. My prices can drop if I'm not forking out 50% to some crook.

Im sure prices will vary from place to place, the hotels I approached were glad to have an exhibition on for guests, it provided an extra something to do for the weekend, and I also attracted a crowd of my own for the opening. One hotel even bought two of my pieces. A few weeks back I got a price from a hotel for a 1 day show for €120.

If you were to pay the hotel to provide refreshments such as tea and coffee, then the price would be significantly more.

I was also thinking of a short term lease on a premises in the NW, even for 1 week during a festival. There is enough vacant space available.

Im sure prices will vary from place to place, the hotels I approached were glad to have an exhibition on for guests, it provided an extra something to do for the weekend, and I also attracted a crowd of my own for the opening. One hotel even bought two of my pieces. A few weeks back I got a price from a hotel for a 1 day show for €120.

If you were to pay the hotel to provide refreshments such as tea and coffee, then the price would be significantly more.

I was also thinking of a short term lease on a premises in the NW, even for 1 week during a festival. There is enough vacant space available.
    Exactly the same here I live on the waw so its an untapped resource I think.. There is only a couple of gallerys down this way and space on their walls is very limited.

Exactly the same here I live on the waw so its an untapped resource I think.. There is only a couple of gallerys down this way and space on their walls is very limited.

well if today was anything to go by in Donegal, then the WAW is going to be a huge success. I drove from Ballybofey to Glencolumbkille through Killybegs and the roads were extremely busy with a large number of foreign reg cars.. whether they are spending or not is another story.. :)

well if today was anything to go by in Donegal, then the WAW is going to be a huge success. I drove from Ballybofey to Glencolumbkille through Killybegs and the roads were extremely busy with a large number of foreign reg cars.. whether they are spending or not is another story.. :)
    I have been out from kinsale to mizzen in the last few weeks and was delighted to see all the campervans and tourist cars along the route. Buses always pass through and are always guided where to go..skibbereen with its new arts centre is drawing tourists I would never have seen before young groups renting vans and cars are coming from spain,France and even Estonia! I've seen a great rise in the amount of Chinese tourists too. Not to mention sterling being so strong! I suppose Germans have a good presence in west cork and love our art scene..

I have an update to the situation of the gallery closure as of the 24th of august . Please pm me if you want this information [Mod snip - per forum charter no phone numbers please]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

[QUOTE=dpmaccaba;96595076]I'm looking into the option of a pop up gallery in a west cork town ..there seems to be an appetite for local crafts along the wild Atlantic way..[/QUOTE]

That could work, especially for about 4 months of the year. It might still be possible to get a temporary lease for the tourist season on certain buildings. After some time, and you've built up a reputation/presence you could keep it all year round, you could also take in work from other artists that could contribute to the rent.

The thing about tourists is that they wont want to take paintings back with them on the plane.

But, get s sign done up saying that you'd arrange shipment back to their home country for them at a time that is convenient. Also, if you saw someone you that looked like a tourist taking a particular interest in a painting your opening line could be, 'You know I could arranges to ship that to your home address so it'd arrive just after you get home from your holidays, better than any holiday snap to remind you of your trip.' :)

Other ideal locations would be places like Dingle IF you could get the space, and don't forget the Public Liability insurance.

Advertisement