Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manager receiving all of my work emails

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm bit strange but I really don't see the issue, this person is your manager so I don't see the issue with them having access to your work emails.

for me what would matter is if this is a general policy for everyone that everyone should know about

or an individual case where one manager has arranged this without anyone's knowledge

I think they would be two very different things in this context.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I have two friends working for non Irish Financial services firms here, and it's mandatory that all mails they send and recieve are copied to their managers, it's not unheard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

One additional note of caution.

It is now also not uncommon to have clause in the IT policy on company hardware that the company reserves the right to review all electronic communications sent using company hardware. That includes personal mail sent on company hardware (PC / Phone / Tablet, Network, Etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Send an email to her husband/partner saying you really enjoyed hooking up last weekend and that you can't wait for next time.

:confused:

I think some people have completely misunderstood the issue here, i.e. emails being sent from the OP are not being forwarded to this person, the issue is surely only with incoming email addressed to the OP?

It's very common in a business environment to have incoming email forwarded to someone else, and for completely valid and legitimate reasons, as the OP pointed out in the opening post. The key issue at play here is that this forwarding was never deactivated on her return.

A situation where emails written by the OP are automatically sent to an unknown recipient is a completely different matter though, and certainly not common business practice.

Stheno wrote: »
    I have two friends working for non Irish Financial services firms here, and it's mandatory that all mails they send and recieve are copied to their managers, it's not unheard of.

I am assuming though that it's clear that the manager is being copied though, i.e. it's visible in the CC field?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

RikuoAmero wrote: »
    What exactly is the problem? As you said this is a work laptop as in bought by them and she is your boss...why shouldn't she be able to see them?

Unless staff were using Lotus Notes, then it would be hard for anyone to see employee emails, besides Net/IT Admins responsible for managing mail servers. The issue with Lotus Notes is, anyone can see your mails, if it is set up to share employee inboxes. It doesn't seem to be the case with Outlook. In outlook, you have to delegate access to your inbox for someone to receive your mails and allow them to respond to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Itzy wrote: »
    Unless staff were using Lotus Notes, then it would be hard for anyone to see employee emails, besides Net/IT Admins responsible for managing mail servers. The issue with Lotus Notes is, anyone can see your mails, if it is set up to share employee inboxes.
    Lotus Notes relies on delegation being set up also. If you delegate access to someone else, they can see your mailbox. If not, they can't. And you can check delegation settings yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

1. It's either a rule on your pc (which it isn't)
    2. forwarding on the server
    3. she is a delegate who has the rights to view your mailbox
    IT can fix that for you. In fact an email on your return to remove the process you helped set up would have been the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

OP First thing is (if its outlook 2010 these are the steps and I know you may already have done some/all of this but no harm in checking again :) )

Go to - Rules - Manage Alerts and Rules

Check any rules here and see if there is one that's is sending the mails on from you to the manager in question.

if not go to File -> Info -> Account settings then select Delegate access and see if anything pops up here.

If there is nothing then you will need to get onto IT to see if there is something on the mail server for your account doing this.

The mail in question you saw on her account was it a work related one that somebody may have put here on the BCC list meaning you wouldn't know it had also been sent to her or was it a private one or one that you can be sure was for you only?

:) Do these checks (again if necessary) and see if you can discover the cause. Or check back in your emails (if you have them) and see what exactly you did to set this up? You may have a mail from IT/the manager in Question detailing what you need to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

Kop On wrote: »
    Ah come off it. That's like something written in the IT security policy, but in reality there is no way a manager should have a mirror inbox etc for one of their employees. Unless they suspect them of something.

Show me somebody who doesn't send personal emails from a work address and I'll show you a liar.

As an adult I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a certain level of privacy in the workplace. The situation described is like something you'd do to your teenage child to monitor their Facebook interactions etc.

I don't send personal emails through my work address ever!!! I have my phone and a personal email address for that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I don't send personal emails through my work address ever!!! I have my phone and a personal email address for that

Me either, haven't done for a good ten years!

And apart from the odd check of the Irish times website, I don't surf the web on work controlled machines either

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Kop On

Fiar play to you, that's a first for me. I hope you're not using your phone or personal email address during working hours though.
    Stheno wrote: »
    Me either, haven't done for a good ten years!

And apart from the odd check of the Irish times website, I don't surf the web on work controlled machines either

Did somerthing happen 10 years ago to make you change your habits.

I hear this morning that the Irish Times is going subscription only so you'll be even more diligent in work now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Start to subtly praise the person all the time. No need to let them know, use it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

Kop On wrote: »
    Fiar play to you, that's a first for me. I hope you're not using your phone or personal email address during working hours though.

My working hours are undefined so I do check it regularly in that I check my email. Usually while on the phone so am multi tasking. I work 8.30 am - 10 pm most days so I didn't check them then I'd get nothing done

I have no issue if any of my team wish to send private mails etc during working hours etc, as long as it's done from their gmail/hotmail etc. Their work email accounts should be kept for that sole purpose though, i.e. work related email only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

OP First thing is (if its outlook 2010 these are the steps and I know you may already have done some/all of this but no harm in checking again :) )

Go to - Rules - Manage Alerts and Rules

Check any rules here and see if there is one that's is sending the mails on from you to the manager in question.

if not go to File -> Info -> Account settings then select Delegate access and see if anything pops up here.

If there is nothing then you will need to get onto IT to see if there is something on the mail server for your account doing this.

The mail in question you saw on her account was it a work related one that somebody may have put here on the BCC list meaning you wouldn't know it had also been sent to her or was it a private one or one that you can be sure was for you only?

:) Do these checks (again if necessary) and see if you can discover the cause. Or check back in your emails (if you have them) and see what exactly you did to set this up? You may have a mail from IT/the manager in Question detailing what you need to do?

This is what I was going to write. Its probably you sharing your mailbox.

Advertisement