Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy a fanless computer

• 02-02-2015 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Does anyone know if there are any suppliers of fanless computers in Ireland
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

dabs.ie
    I am not sure where else does.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭DI Dwyer

Bought a Toshiba 13" Chromebook recently (from elara.ie)... excellent machine for the basics..... Oh.. No fan..... battery excellent life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Another option is to build a standard computer and fit

Fanless PSU
    http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=228&area=en

and

Noctua Fan
    http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=56&lng=en&set=1

9db is actually really hard to hear even if you try ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Wouldn't buy an Apple. Latest corporate results shows they have LOADS of 'fans' :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

crispyduck wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there are any suppliers of fanless computers in Ireland

We need more information. What do you need it for?

You can buy an €80 Windows 8.1 tablet, hook it up to a TV / LCD with hdmi and use a bluetooth / usb keyboard & mouse for a fanless computer

On the other end of the scale you can build a PC without moving parts. I have one and the only thing that moves is a tiny 5W aquarium pump inside a massive aluminium finned cooling tower used for semi-passive water cooling. Zero dB (silent) too but mucho €€€€ to build from scratch :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

The new Raspberry PI will run Windows 10 for £35. If you can wait for windows 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 crispyduck

Thanks for all the info guys. On the more info side. It is for a boat. The main object is to run race navigation software. I have an existing pc, which is running windows XP and is operating in French. I don't have original software discs. The tactical software is also in French and I am not sure yet if I can get the original software keys, to change it to English and update the charts to local waters. All very complicated. I am wondering if I may be as well off to start from scratch. New PC would have to have ports to accept information from boat sensors and gps etc. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What ports does it need?

Also why does it have to be fanless?

What's your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 crispyduck

I think the reason for fanless is mainly for low power consumption and no moving parts better for harsh marine environment. Power source is 12v batteries and an inverter. I am only starting to find my way around this stuff, as this is my first boat with a computer. I will have to check on the current ports layout. I think Ethernet is best, but I am not sure if I have the right feeds, or whether I can upgrade. At the moment I am trying to see if I can get the guy I bought the boat from to find the original software. I am not sure he can find it. Also he may be able to authorise me to use the tactical software. Hopefully he is now looking into that. But I need a contingency plan. I don't have a budget, but I don't want to throw money at it.. Current onboard computer is now 7 years old. Ongoing reliability is an issue. I am not sure I need a very powerful computer. My problem is that I am a Mac man. I run a MacPro and a MacBook Pro for work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

I use an actisense NMEA multiplexor and a NMEA to USB adaptor to feed my instruments to a laptop running SeaClear and a usb to ethernet to relay the screen to a waterproof display at the Helm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement