Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New to cycling

• 02-02-2015 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

Right! After moving back to the big shmoke.... I'm looking at starting a bit of leisure cycling.
    I'm waiting on my bike through btw scheme (bloody monthly pay) and missed last months deadline so it looks like i wont get it until payment goes through at end of month.
    Does anyone have any routes or advice around the phoenix park area.
    Im living in dublin 7 with no car so travelling to certain areas a problem.
    TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Im living in dublin 7 with no car so travelling to certain areas a problem.
    TIA

You could cycle to those areas on your new bike maybe.

I used to live in Dublin years ago and used to cycle from Tallaght in along the Long Mile road to the Phoenix park and do a loop of it (as best as possible) and head home again up past Christchurch and out through the Coombe and Clondalkin. It was my regular spin route. It's not hard to find a loop to do in dublin no matter what area you live in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Up through the park, down strawberry beds, on to Lucan and back.

Head down the NCR, on out to Dollymount or Howth.

Head up past Finglas and out around NCB.

Enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

NCR - Clontarf - Howth and return is a handy 40km-ish depending on where you are in D7.

Depending on your bike, you're right beside the Royal Canal. When there's been a few days good weather, it's a lovely cycle down to Maynooth and back.

I find Phoenix Park a bit frustrating to cycle in regularly, unless you can go midweek when most others are working.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

OldBean wrote: »
    NCR - Clontarf - Howth and return is a handy 40km-ish depending on where you are in D7.

Depending on your bike, you're right beside the Royal Canal. When there's been a few days good weather, it's a lovely cycle down to Maynooth and back.

I find Phoenix Park a bit frustrating to cycle in regularly, unless you can go midweek when most others are working.

Thanks for that i would be more familiar of that route out to howth than around the blanch/west routes.
    Getting road bike so coast road prob better than canal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

There's only one hairy-ish part on the way to Maynooth, but I'd definitely recommend having slightly wider tyres than your bike might come with.

The spin to Howth is pretty straightforward, although coming on and off the cyclepath can be awkward. You can easily extend your spin by turning off for Malahide before or after you tackle Howth.

• Advertisement
Advertisement