Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warre Hives

Options
  • 03-02-2015 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Anyone out there keeping a Warre hive or hives?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Native Honey Bee

I know someone who kept bees in a Roger Delon hive, which is basically the same thing. There are a few other variations on the theme, including (I think) the Alpine hive. Thornes and also some European manufacturers supply a poly hive of the same internal dimensions as these hives. It is the internal dimensions (one foot square) which is the common denominator in these hive types. This is allegedly the size favoured by bees. Tom Ellis of Donegal Bees manufactures Warre hives, I don't know of any others doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ignorant1

Thanks. Have been in touch with Thomas Ellis, am interested in trying a Warre as an experiment this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Native Honey Bee

You have probably already found it, there is a book by Warre somewhere on the internet. It is downloadable for free and worth reading.

Yes, downloaded the book a while ago. I like the general philosophy of the Abbe.

Got my hive, this should be interesting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

I have a Warre hive...but no bees yet...
    After doing a beekeeping course last year, reading around the subject and talking to other beekeepers, i decided on the Warre route too.
    Just need a nuc or swarm now...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

ignorant1 wrote: »
    Yes, downloaded the book a while ago. I like the general philosophy of the Abbe.

IS there a link to this book?

Yes, I got it from warre.biobees.com (left hand side of page). The PDF is several hundred pages.
    Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Thanks

Advertisement