Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New chemistry experiments.

• 03-02-2015 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

With the banning of sodium dichromate, we are no longer required to prepare ethanal and eyhanoic acid. Does anyone know what experiments were added to make up for those that were taken off in leaving cert chemistry?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

Do we have to know those experiments that were removed at all though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

yoyojc wrote: »
    Do we have to know those experiments that were removed at all though?

You still have to know their properties I think, don't ask me what they are, that's all I know :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

Sorry for gatecrashing but I thought it would be better to ask here rather than starting a new board: My chem teacher told us today that as well as the mandatory experiments, we are required to write up the non-mandatory experiments listed in our textbook in a separate notebook and any inspectors can ask to look at them and dock us marks if we don't have them. Is this true? Surely 'non-mandatory' means that it is not compulsory to either carry them out or write them up?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 shoopdeboop

emersyn wrote: »
    Sorry for gatecrashing but I thought it would be better to ask here rather than starting a new board: My chem teacher told us today that as well as the mandatory experiments, we are required to write up the non-mandatory experiments listed in our textbook in a separate notebook and any inspectors can ask to look at them and dock us marks if we don't have them. Is this true? Surely 'non-mandatory' means that it is not compulsory to either carry them out or write them up?

Your teacher is just trying to get ye to learn them; you don't have to do the demonstrations, only know about the theory of them etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dazzadazza

emersyn wrote: »
    That is not true. It's just a way to ensure you learn them. Don't call her out on this in front of the class though!

Advertisement