Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Focus 1.6tdci engine intermittently losing power

Options
  • 03-02-2015 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hello all - thanks in advance for any advice you could give me!

I have a 09 Focus 1.6 tdci, and it seems to lose power intermittently for no reason.

The best way to describe the issue is > when the car is started its fine (perfectly normal response that I would expect).
    However after a while, or once the engine gets up to temp, the power of the engine disappears, as if the turbo was missing (i.e. the engine has no sense of urgency, and there is no boost/shove from the turbo).

Now while this happens, fuel economy stays the same, no warning lights come up on the dash and under hard acceleration it is not producing any excess emissions (i.e. no cloud of black smoke).

What makes this extra strange is that if I stop the car, turn the engine off and back on again, she instantly has all her power back with the turbo providing the normal surge you would expect at ~2000 rpm.

Clearly the turbo is not blown, but I am mystified as to what could cause this.

Two theories I have are:
    1. The EGR valve is sticking open
    or
    2. The wastegate on the turbo is sticking open (if it even has a wastegate).

I'm car savvy but I'm not a bonafide mechanic so I'm at a bit of a loss. From what I understand, if the EGR valve, or turbo boost pressure, or even the DPF were causing problems I should at least get one warning light on the dash, but so far the car thinks everything is fine.

If you have any thoughts yourself, or have had similar problems please let me know!
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭gibbon75

These engines are notorious for faulty boost control solenoids as well.
    I would start there as EGR and DPF would throw up a fault (most of the time..)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Spotfire

Thanks gibbon75.

I was unaware of the boost control solenoid in this engine but now that you mention it - it could certainly explain where the boost is 'disappearing' to.

Do you think that turning the engine off and on again would likely reset the solenoid? Because turning the engine off and on again does reset the problem for a short period until it shows up again.

Spotfire wrote: »
    Do you think that turning the engine off and on again would likely reset the solenoid? Because turning the engine off and on again does reset the problem for a short period until it shows up again.

What i was thinking that the solenoid might overheat and it cools down a bit after restarting the engine.

That might not be the problem so - because the power return is instant after restarting the engine.

i.e. I do not give the engine time to cool, I just turn it off and on again straight away and the power returns..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Id start with the fuel filter before doing anything else. A dirty fuel filter could cause that. Not sure if the 2009 had the full canister type fuel filter but some of the mk2 did and they cost 70 ish euro so people have a tendency to not change them. Would still be a lot cheaper than a 350 euro egr if that's the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Msrob

My other half had this problem turned out we had to send the dash (clocks) board to a fellow in cork and it sorted out the problem not a mechanic so have no idea if this is mentioned above

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

While you're checking your car over, it is a good idea to check if there is a carbon build up around your injectors.

A copper washer at the tip of the injector is required to be changed if there is a carbon build up.

If left, it is said to contribute to turbo failure and injector trouble/high emmissions

Spotfire wrote: »
    That might not be the problem so - because the power return is instant after restarting the engine.

i.e. I do not give the engine time to cool, I just turn it off and on again straight away and the power returns..

Could be a sticking solenoid valve as well,which can cause overboost etc.
    But what it seems to me that ECU is cutting back the power as something is wrong along the fueling or boost.
    Hence when you restart the car it goes back to normal till the same problem re-occurs.
    You would need to get it plugged in to check for stored faults and take ot from there.
    I could give you an A4 page size list with the most common issues related to this engine type ;)

Bpmull wrote: »
    Id start with the fuel filter before doing anything else. A dirty fuel filter could cause that. Not sure if the 2009 had the full canister type fuel filter but some of the mk2 did and they cost 70 ish euro so people have a tendency to not change them. Would still be a lot cheaper than a 350 euro egr if that's the problem.

All Euro 5 emission (post 2006) models has that fuel filter.It is pricey (is it really?) as it contains a pre-heater element as well.
    As for the EGR valve: get a Volvo one as it is 165 + VAT.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

gibbon75 wrote: »
    All Euro 5 emission (post 2006) models has that fuel filter.It is pricey (is it really?) as it contains a pre-heater element as well.

EGR valves can be cleaned aswell.

I cleaned the one in my old Focus, just screw off the electronic box and soak the rest of it in WD40 over night, then clean and dry it, screw back the electronic box and it's like new!

I also put an EGR blanking plate on it while I had it out.
    I have since sold the car but the new owner has not had any trouble with it!

• Advertisement

Maybe you can get a spurious filter cheaper but oem ones are certainly up on that. The egr valves from ford are up around 300 mark although they might have changed since I got rid of mine 203 euro isn't too bad for one.

Bpmull wrote: »
    Maybe you can get a spurious filter cheaper but oem ones are certainly up on that.

What I meant was that I don't think 70 is a big expense at every 60k kms when it comes to the health of the fuel system.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Your car is going into limp home mode. Number one cause is the fuel filter on this engine. Replace it first.

What I meant was that I don't think 70 is a big expense at every 60k kms when it comes to the health of the fuel system.

No it's not going to break anyone to change it. But compared to the majority of other cars where they take a fuel filter element that costs 10-20 euro then the fuel filter is relatively expensive. Anyway if it sorts the ops problem then it will be a cheap fix.

But what it seems to me that ECU is cutting back the power as something is wrong along the fueling or boost.
    Hence when you restart the car it goes back to normal till the same problem re-occurs.
    ;)

That definitely makes sense. The turbo seems fine but if the ECU is cutting back on power until the car was restarted then it would explain everything.

At least the turbo unit itself should be fine - this was my biggest worry due to the expense of replacing it!

Maybe I'll even get lucky and only need to replace a faulty sensor

Dia1988 wrote: »
    While you're checking your car over, it is a good idea to check if there is a carbon build up around your injectors.

A copper washer at the tip of the injector is required to be changed if there is a carbon build up.

If left, it is said to contribute to turbo failure and injector trouble/high emmissions

Thanks for the info!

Plug wrote: »
    Your car is going into limp home mode. Number one cause is the fuel filter on this engine. Replace it first.

I wouldn't say the car is in limp home mode - more like just a noticeable reduction in power.

Especially in 4th or 5th gear where you would want to overtake she has absolutely no sense of urgency whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

Your best bet is to get it diagnosed with a good independent garage whom have dealer level diagnostics,
    or
    there maybe there is someone here in your area with Diagnostics that can help out..:)

Where are you based...?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Had an issue similar to this recently and it was the EGR valve, changed out and running fine since.

Car is in garage now - so once the root of the issue is revealed I will be back with the cause!

• Advertisement

Finally got the car into a gargae to be checked out - two things needed to be replaced:

The EGR valve was sticking so swapped it out for new unit (this was causing the engine power issues),

The intercooler casing was craked - likely due to a stone thrown up while driving.

Engine is running fine now :)

Thanks to all for your advice!

Advertisement