Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from JSB to Illness Benefit

Options
  • 03-02-2015 2:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi guys. I am wondering if you are on Job seekers benefit, how hard is it to change over to illness benefit and do the rates of payment remain the same?
    My situation;
    1990's-2009 I worked full time, never out sick
    in 2010 I worked 11 weeks then i moved to USA
    in 2011 I returned from USA in October and worked 10 weeks (was in USA 18 months)
    in 2012 I worked 24 weeks and got diagnosed with tumour. I was refused Illness Benefit as I had worked in USA for the relevant tax year (2010) so I got 18 weeks supplementary welfare.
    in 2013 I again worked 24 weeks but had to leave my job as I was no longer capable of doing that physical work (due to the surgery I had a year earlier for the tumour).
    I have been on job seekers Allowance since then (approx. 16 months)

I had my yearly check up today and the tumour is back and is big. I will need surgery. The doctor gave me a form to claim illness benefit. I rang the welfare office and stopped my job seekers and she said to post the IB application.

does anyone know if I would be entitled to IB or should I try look for supplementary welfare? I am so stressed over everything that I cant even research it properly. thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 my.imput

Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Daenarys

Hi OP you're in a very tough situation. I don't personally know about how to get illness benefit but as far as I know if you are really stuck for money you should visit your community welfare officer to get a supplement and you should really talk to the citizens advice about IB too if you're hitting a brick wall with the DSP. Just a suggestion. I hope you get sorted money wise, you really don't need that on top of everything.

Hopefully more people will be on later that can tell you about their application process.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Right, I'm sure you have been studing this but:
    Social insurance (PRSI) contributions
    To qualify for payment of Illness Benefit you must satisfy the following two conditions:

You must have at least 104 weeks PRSI contributions paid since you first started work
    and either

(a) 39 weeks of PRSI contributions paid or credited in the relevant tax year, of which 13 must be paid contributions. If you do not have 13 paid contributions in the relevant tax year, then 13 paid contributions in one of the following tax years can be used instead:
    Either of the two tax years before the relevant tax year
    The last complete tax year (before the year in which your claim for Illness Benefit begins)
    The current tax year
    or

(b) 26 weeks of PRSI contributions paid in the relevant tax year, and 26 weeks of PRSI contributions paid in the tax year immediately before the relevant tax year.

The relevant tax year is the second last complete tax year before the year in which your claim for Illness Benefit begins. For example:

Relevant tax year
    If your claim begins in: The relevant tax year is:
    2013 2011
    2014 2012
    2015 2013
    Only PRSI contributions paid at class A, E, H and P count towards Illness Benefit.
    If you were getting long-term Jobseeker's Allowance, Pre-Retirement Allowance, Invalidity Pension, Carer's Allowance or Carer's Benefit immediately before applying for Illness Benefit, you do not need to have 13 paid contributions.

As highlighted above, the fact you have been on JSA before this may mean you are able ot claim Illness benefit, but you may only get the reduced rate:

Average weekly earnings Personal rate, € Qualified adult rate, €
    €300 or more 188 124.80
    €220 - €299.99 147.30 80.90
    €150 - €219.99 121.40 80.90
    less than €150 84.50 80.90

For a claim starting in 2015, the relevant year is 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 my.imput

Thanks very much for replies guys. its an added stress I could do without. Finding it hard to get answers. I sent in my IB application on Monday, rang today - all I wanted to know if I was approved/refused but they wont have a decision for another 5-7 working days.
    If I was to be refused at least I could get the ball rolling on applying for supplementary benefit. As it stands, I will probably be in hospital by the time I get their decision on IB

• Registered Users Posts: 31 antoinette 1

my.imput wrote: »
    Thanks very much for replies guys. its an added stress I could do without. Finding it hard to get answers. I sent in my IB application on Monday, rang today - all I wanted to know if I was approved/refused but they wont have a decision for another 5-7 working days.
    If I was to be refused at least I could get the ball rolling on applying for supplementary benefit. As it stands, I will probably be in hospital by the time I get their decision on IB
    If I am awarded JSB at lower rate and if I get sick can I switch to illness benefit?? Asking because although I have required stamps and contributions for lower rate JSB (was on illness benefit for 2 years and doc said couldn't return to job I was doing)they are trying to put me on jsa( said I could get more) but am I not right in saying you CANT get illness benefit (if needed)on jsa but you can if you receive JSB ... And have I the choice?

• Advertisement
Advertisement