Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SoE sold off to investment company

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

irishmover wrote: »

I don't think so. They were never a big part of the Playstation family and started off as a PC developer.

Sure they have Planetside 2 coming to the PS4 but that's about it, the big thing that will change is that PS2 may no longer be free to play on PS4. Now they will make games for every platform except the WiiU.

The money Sony get from this will hopefully be invested back into PSN and that will be good for Playstation owners far more than keeping SoE in house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

I don't think so. They were never a big part of the Playstation family and started off as a PC developer.

Sure they have Planetside 2 coming to the PS4 but that's about it, the big thing that will change is that PS2 may no longer be free to play on PS4. Now they will make games for every platform except the WiiU.

The money Sony get from this will hopefully be invested back into PSN and that will be good for Playstation owners far more than keeping SoE in house.

There is also Everquest, H1Z1 and a few others. These potentially being developed for XBOX doesn't really help. As the president of SoE just announced 'looking forward to making XBOX games' on twitter.

Sony are in huge debt so I'm not entirely sure if they'll invest it back in PlayStation or not. I'd hope so but doubt it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

In reality it will be invested in keeping Sony afloat and not going under.

I doubt SOE will be going under anytime soon. They've made some pretty big online games and have a great track record. I'd say Sony just saw the online gaming space to be too volatile and too much of a risk and decided to sell them to help with their current financial troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I don't know about great track record. Everquest went downhill once Sony bought them. Planet Side 1 was ok'ish. Planet Side 2 is on a pay to win formula on PC and the PC version is not being updated or bugs fixed while the PS4 version is being worked on. Also the balance is all over the shop atm.

Then H1Z1 seems to be in developer limbo right now. The game does not know where it is or where it needs to be direction wise. It needs some help to get finished and keep the quality in there.

I think it is very wise to cut and let go from Sony here, I don't see any great loss at all.

Advertisement