Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry needed for Medicine ???

Options
  • 03-02-2015 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

Daughter in TY at moment. Thinking of doing medicine or similar in college. Chemistry doesn't rock her boat at all, loves biology. Thinking of swapping chemistry to geography. Did a workshop thing with Trinity med student in St James hospital and they tell her that she is not at a loss by not doing Leaving Cert Chemistry. Any thoughts please ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Eazzah

Not exactly talking about Chemistry/Medicine here, but LC Geography is nothing like the JC. Lots and lots of essays to learn off. I loved it in the JC but I despise it in the Leaving. I recommend she looks at sample answers to see what she'd expect. I can send you some e-xamit exam paper codes if you wish to see the recommended detail/length in answers.

I'm not sure if it'll be the same for Medicine, but most courses cover the basics in 1st year. If she didn't do Chemistry it would likely be covered (if on the syllabus) during the first year. Also check out course requirements on qualifax to see if certain subjects are needed for certain courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

See the box / chart on page 2 of the PDF for undergraduate medicine under "Entry to Medicine" at this link

Sorry, can't get it to link more directly for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Sasso wrote: »
    Daughter in TY at moment. Thinking of doing medicine or similar in college. Chemistry doesn't rock her boat at all, loves biology.
    Chemistry and/or physics would be highly advantageous to anyone considering medicine. Besides, a lot of med schools require two science subjects as an entry requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 inkii

Sasso wrote: »
    Daughter in TY at moment. Thinking of doing medicine or similar in college. Chemistry doesn't rock her boat at all, loves biology. Thinking of swapping chemistry to geography. Did a workshop thing with Trinity med student in St James hospital and they tell her that she is not at a loss by not doing Leaving Cert Chemistry. Any thoughts please ?

There are certain colleges that allow her to do medicine without chemistry NUIG, UCD and RCSI. Instead of sitting the 5 year she would be sitting the 6 year course. So yeah she isn't really at loss all she should know is she will have to work hard in college and she won't be the only one who didn't do chemistry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

inkii wrote: »
    So yeah she isn't really at loss all she should know is she will have to work hard in college and she won't be the only one who didn't do chemistry :)
    ...but ultimately, she can't avoid it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Sasso

Understand so alright, and thanks for responses.

Advertisement