Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why no Rent allowance?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

athtrasna wrote: »
    I thought this thread was about rent allowance :confused:

Supposed to be! I have been on RA many years and never an issue BUT lower rental houses others might not choose and in rural areas. Being a single female pensioner probably helps. The ll and agencies who impress me, although they are few and far between, are those who say on their ad RA if suitable tenant which gives us a chance. Surely a person can tell the difference between someone with rowdy kids in tow and a quiet person.. I am seeing as I keep an eye on daft.ie that rents are going up. Thankfully although this house has its moments I have fair security here a my lls kids are under 7 years old. ie no family will need the house for a fair while yet and I am doing a fine job keeping it safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

MrMorooka wrote: »
    Isn't it max 3.5 times income? 36*3.5 = 126.

Looking at your breakdown, you can't afford to live on your own and pay that rent, that's crazy, there's absolutely no wiggle room whatsoever in your calculations.

The reality of living outside of home is probably going to be different, you've set yourself up to live like a hermit there.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

Maybe I am a hermit?

But I don't really understand what you mean by wiggle room.. I have budgeted my expenses and I can cover them with some surplus. How much unallocated income do I need? What would I be spending it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The Spider wrote: »
    Looking at your breakdown, you can't afford to live on your own and pay that rent, that's crazy, there's absolutely no wiggle room whatsoever in your calculations.

The reality of living outside of home is probably going to be different, you've set yourself up to live like a hermit there.

Nothing wrong with living like a hermit; I have done it for decades,,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

MrMorooka wrote: »
    Maybe I am a hermit?

But I don't really understand what you mean by wiggle room.. I have budgeted my expenses and I can cover them with some surplus. How much unallocated income do I need? What would I be spending it on?

You don't drink or go out much now, when you're living at home with your parents, but you'll feel it if you're living on your own staring at four walls every night and not talking to anyone, maybe you are a hermit and are comfortable with that, but in my experience you'd soon find yourself out somewhere, may not be a pub.

Cinema, met someone for food etc. You haven't budgeted for taxi's or nightlinks I see, Clothes?

May be ok for you but I wouldn't fancy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Asmooh wrote: »
    Oh... I'm used to 420 euros / month for a apartment with 2 sleeping rooms, large living room,large basement, 2 balcony's, bathroom and still getting 79 euros / month rent allowance.

Google on "6134am maps"

You might get a one bedroom studio for that in Dublin. If you want something bigger you'll probably have to move to Leitrim or somewhere like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

aido79 wrote: »
    You might get a one bedroom studio for that in Dublin. If you want something bigger you'll probably have to move to Leitrim or somewhere like that.

LOL thats in the middle of nowhere :o

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I am a landlord and I accepted rent allowance.
    The majority of my tenants have being great,1 did a lot of damage,way more then the deposit would cover.
    When you have a private tenant renting you get a months rent and a deposit,when you have a rent allowance tenant then you get your deposit but you could be any amount of time waiting for social welfare to pay you their share of the rent.
    I had to wait over 2 months for social welfare to pay it for my last tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Folks, can we stay on topic?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 The Tempest

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    As it turns out though I should have taken them up on the offer as I've ended up paying for it anyway over the last 7/8 years - lost my job first and now I am stuck paying over the odds to rent a place in Dublin (because that's still where all the jobs are), when I could have just cried poverty and not paid my mortgage like so many others did, still kept my house and now be coming out of NE as well!

I've long since come to the realisation that doing things "right" in this country only leaves you more open to being screwed over by those who didn't - and the higher up you go in our society the more blatant it is!

Kaiser, I was in your situation during the boom & got badgered into buying by the missus in 2005.
    I used follow your & others warnings on here about the imminent crash.
    Luckily our tracker shielded us from the worst effects of being over-extended & now we can breathe a sigh of relief.
    Your advice at the time was correct but what we didn't know then was how poor the banks would be in dealing with arrears & repossessions.
    I see a neighbour of ours surrender her keys after not paying anything for over 5 years.
    She gets to walk away scot free into the arms of her boyfriend & shiny new pad furnished by her massive savings.
    Those who played the game fairly are the real victims of this burst bubble, and the wonder why the Irish love a rogue, go figure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement