Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

amber bracelet so called teething aid

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Did he drool with the necklace off then afterwards cbyrd?

Mine both drooled like mad and then one day just stopped. Different ages, different number of teeth. It's just them learing how to swallow their own saliva.

First baby had 8 teeth before ever starting to drool at about 16 weeks, drooled to 26, then stopped. She had full set of teeth by 18 months. Second baby drooled before teeth. Drooled longer than first baby... But I remember someone gave me a pile of bibs way after she had stopped drooling, saying I'd need them for the remaining teeth. It's yet to happen after another 4 so far.

Drool is bog standard saliva. Salivary glands start to produce more some time after birth, but because they lack mouth control over it it spills out. They learn to swallow it at different ages, just like they crawl, walk etc at different ages.

When you think about it, wouldn't 6 year olds start drooling again when they get more teeth if it was in any way tooth related? Loads of people don't get wisdom teeth in til their late 20's, I'm pretty sure they don't drool. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

They're good points there pwurple. How would Amber stop drooling anyway? What's the science behind it? Even if you accept its supposed anti inflammatory properties, that has nothing to do with drooling.
    I agree that there are choking hazards everywhere and you can't completely wrap babies up in cotton wool however I'm sure all parents try to minimise those risks as much as possible and putting beads on a child simply does not go hand in hand with minimising risk.
    It's like the rock that keeps tigers away in the Simpsons...

Katie79 wrote: »
    Just supervision for under 3 years is needed 24/7/365.

Might want to reword that one. The only children I know who are supervised 24/7 are in intensive care. Parents usually sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

Graham wrote: »
    Most parents wouldn't deliberately attach a choking hazard to their child.

Most parents give their babies soothers for hours upon end though, another choking hazard but they're not near as controversial as these teething bracelets.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Are soothers a choking hazard? I never used one for my son but AFAIK, they can actually help reduce certain SIDS risks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Most parents give their babies soothers for hours upon end though, another choking hazard but they're not near as controversial as these teething bracelets.

Most parents give their Babies soothers bearing a CE mark indicating that they have been tested and certified as safe. That's a bit different to a string of small decorative polished rock jewellery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

None of mine ever took a soother. But fyi research suggests that soothers may reduce SIDS.

How are soothers either a choking or strangulation hazard? No tiny parts, no rope or chord.

Too large to fit in an airway, and how on earth would a soother wrap around a neck?

Any kind of jewellery on babies, amber or not, has all those risks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭sari

EVERYTHING can be a risk, we as parents are left with the responsibility to weigh up these risks and decide what is best for our family. Every family is different and what works for one may not for another.

Found this on soothers, most brands recalled are mam and avent probably the most common brands here too http://www.kidsindanger.org/2012/08/03/take-a-closer-look-at-your-babys-pacifier/

sari wrote: »
    EVERYTHING can be a risk, we as parents are left with the responsibility to weigh up these risks and decide what is best for our family. Every family is different and what works for one may not for another.

Found this on soothers, most brands recalled are mam and avent probably the most common brands here too http://www.kidsindanger.org/2012/08/03/take-a-closer-look-at-your-babys-pacifier/

Exactly, I agree with you. Everything can be a risk and a danger with young children and it's completely up to individual parents to make the call as to what what they want their child to play with, wear, eat, put in their mouths etc.

That's not to say that I agree with the bracelets. There is a mother at my child's play group who lets their child wear these bracelets but I'm not going to demonise the mother for letting her child wear the things! I'm vigilant with my child around this, as I am with the toys she plays with, the other children etc. That's my role as a parent, to mind my child 100%.

• Advertisement

Just goes to show that even things that have been thoroughly tested and certified can present a danger. Imagine how many times riskier completely uncertified/unregulated products can be.

Exactly, I agree with you. Everything can be a risk and a danger with young children and it's completely up to individual parents to make the call as to what what they want their child to play with, wear, eat, put in their mouths etc.

That's not to say that I agree with the bracelets. There is a mother at my child's play group who lets their child wear these bracelets but I'm not going to demonise the mother for letting her child wear the things! I'm vigilant with my child around this, as I am with the toys she plays with, the other children etc. That's my role as a parent, to mind my child 100%.

I agree with you here. However, if they pose risks to other children, eg. A necklace breaking in crèche or whatever and another child may choke... Then I do think policies need to be put in place to prevent this happening. What people do in their own home is completely their perogative. It's not for me however. and I would hope it would not impact on my child.

Sligo1 wrote: »
    I agree with you here. However, if they pose risks to other children, eg. A necklace breaking in crèche or whatever and another child may choke... Then I do think policies need to be put in place to prevent this happening. What people do in their own home is completely their perogative. It's not for me however. and I would hope it would not impact on my child.

I agree with the crèche banning them 100% but I don't think it's nice what some posters have said about parents who choose to give their child the bracelets as a teething aid. That's their choice and to be called thick is extremely rude in my opinion. Another reason why I reluctantly post on this thread these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

pwurple wrote:
    Too large to fit in an airway, and how on earth would a soother wrap around a neck?

I have twice taken the bitten top of an avent soother out of my then 18 months old boy. He's now 5, I guess just cos it has an official safety standard means I can be assured my little ones teeth won't bite through it.. not so.. it was his way of telling me he was done with the soother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

cbyrd wrote: »
    I have twice taken the bitten top of an avent soother out of my then 18 months old boy. He's now 5, I guess just cos it has an official safety standard means I can be assured my little ones teeth won't bite through it.. not so.. it was his way of telling me he was done with the soother.

Sorry if it's an off topic question, but if it happened once, why on earth would you have ever given him an Avent soother again? That's a really serious choking hazard.

My son loves his soothers, it's the TT ones we use. If part of the teat ever came loose, he'd be going cold turkey from that day on! No way I'd risk using them again.

In fairness tho the same can be done with bottle teats....

I watch the rubber/silicone on them when washing. There is usually wear and damage well in advance. They fill up with water for a start. I bin em if there is any damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

pwurple wrote:
    I watch the rubber/silicone on them when washing. There is usually wear and damage well in advance. They fill up with water for a start. I bin em if there is any damage.

The soother will fill up with water even brand new, squeeze the rubber bit and put it in the water..it has to have air in it to facilitate sucking.

Proving my point with the bottle teats too, really... anything that goes in a childs mouth is a choking hazard, even food.

The reason he did it twice is because he had more than one soother, in fairness. I thought it it had happened because it was damaged and I didn't see it . The second time it happened was with a brand new one out of the pack!

Just because you don't agree with something I do as a parent, doesn't mean that it is wrong.
    I choose to use the amber necklace because it had such a huge effect on my son. And yes, I did take it off to see was it the amber or my wishful thinking. within a day or two his rosey cheeks were back and the drool started again, I'm not talking about little bit that hangs off the lip, I'm talking wet to his belly button in 5 minutes. 15-20 bibs on average per day.The reason I found the amber was on the same website I was buying the bandana bibs for extra soakage.

When babies are teething, the saliva is more acidic, enabling the softening of the gums to allow the tooth to breakthrough. The chaffing on my son's chin was raw. I had used vaseline during the day and sudocreme at night, it bled a few times.. This is why I have no problem using one again if it's needed,
    I also made sure when he was older that it was under his clothes, he has 3 older siblings so the chance for it to be grabbed in play was bigger.. it never was.
    Again I'll stress, you've never needed to use it, please don't diss the parents that do, what works for me may not work for you. That doesn't mean that either are wrong, just different. Choking hazards are everywhere, even brand new things.

Sorry to disagree cbyrd, but the claims the things make are simply not true, and when they pose a danger, I think it needs to be corrected.

Saliva is not more acidic when teething, this is easily proven, go and get some litmus tests yourself. That's a myth. The chaffing is from being wet.

They are not legal for sale here, for very simple reasons, they are not safe. Children die all the time from strangulation and choking. It's not some minor parenting choice like types of nappy brand, it's potentially waking up to a dead infant in your house. If you've ever experienced that in your life (and I sincerely hope you have not) then you would not be so flippant about this being a parenting option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Are there any stats available on the amount of injuries/deaths caused by amber beads used under socks/clothes/babygros??
    This is how I used mine last time so would be interested to see how dangerous it is before I use them again on my next baby.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Just because you don't agree with something I do as a parent, doesn't mean that it is wrong.
    I choose to use the amber necklace because it had such a huge effect on my son. And yes, I did take it off to see was it the amber or my wishful thinking. within a day or two his rosey cheeks were back and the drool started again, I'm not talking about little bit that hangs off the lip, I'm talking wet to his belly button in 5 minutes. 15-20 bibs on average per day.The reason I found the amber was on the same website I was buying the bandana bibs for extra soakage.

You let your kid idle about with something tied up around their neck? Do you not see the serious risk that poses? That's before you even need to consider the production quality of what you are using, which had been recalled due to a large number of complaints with it falling apart. Not only is it a risk for asphyxiation, but also for choking.

If I saw anything of the sort on my son or nephews, I'd remove it straight away. They are too young to be in full concious and abled control of their bodies. If they get an arm caught in something they are stuck there and need someone to release them. If they are caught up due to something around their neck, they'd have no hope of getting free from it and will only take a very short time for them to be impacted by it before anyone has a chance to notice.

So yes I don't agree with what you are doing, the reason why I don't agree is because I feel what you've done is completely wrong and horribly irresponsible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭sari

Would you say the same things to a mother who has decided to bottle feed, considering the associated risks of it on the baby and mother? Would you consider it acceptable to call that mother horribly wrong and completely irresponsible for her choice?
    I think not because it's not socially acceptable to do this and really who are we to judge anyone's parenting choices. In the end it's down to each family to make these decisions and weigh up risk/benefit for their family. Now if only we could do that without constantly having people judge us wouldnt we all be happier people.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Halfbaker

Is there is any evidence of any kind that placing an amber bracelet around a child's ankle or neck has any effect?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

iguana wrote: »
    Are soothers a choking hazard? I never used one for my son but AFAIK, they can actually help reduce certain SIDS risks.
    Yeah, soothers are linked to a reduction in SIDS incidence. The safety standards are pretty rigourous and as someone else has said, any signs of damage appear well in advance, provided you wash them once a day and throw them out of the teat is in any way damaged.
    Halfbaker wrote: »
    Is there is any evidence of any kind that placing an amber bracelet around a child's ankle or neck has any effect?
    It kind of doesn't matter whether they work or not.

There are plenty of other things you could do to ease teething, but you're not going to do it because it will risk your child's health. I'm pretty sure a 200mg neurofen tablet will put a 12 month old on top of the world and make them forget about any teething problems. Sure, you run the risk of liver damage, but what harm so long as they're not suffering with their teeth, right?

Likewise with these bracelets and necklaces. Anyone who thinks putting a beaded necklace on a child is a good idea needs their head examined. Especially while they sleep. Sweet suffering Jeebus. "Well, he could choke to death in his cot, but he's stopped drooling, so it's worth the risk".

For fnck's sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

Likewise with these bracelets and necklaces. Anyone who thinks putting a beaded necklace on a child is a good idea needs their head examined. Especially while they sleep. Sweet suffering Jeebus. "Well, he could choke to death in his cot, but he's stopped drooling, so it's worth the risk".

For fnck's sake.

Yeah, pretty much this. In my opinion, you'd have to be a little bit "special" to believe any proclaimed benefit - and even more "special" to put your child's life at risk for said proclaimed benefit.

Would you say the same things to a mother who has decided to bottle feed, considering the associated risks of it on the baby and mother? Would you consider it acceptable to call that mother horribly wrong and completely irresponsible for her choice?

What a bizaar comparison. How do you strangle a baby with a bottle? Try using a comparison with something in any way similar, such as having blinds with cords hanging off them in a child's room. Or using plastic bags as toys.

I didn't call anyone horrible or irresponsible. I'm calling the amber necklaces dangerous (Or ANY jewelry on a baby). Which it is.
    In England and Wales, 61 children died in a two-year period due to choking, strangulation or suffocation, under 3 years of age. A
    further 5,000 children aged 15 or under
    were brought to accident and emergency
    units in the United Kingdom because of
    choking or strangulation, with the majority of these injuries
    occurring in the home
    Source: European Report on Child Injury Prevention,
    World Health Organization, 2008.

I really don't think so as they are not soluble, but if it did, I'd actually be even more freaked out by them.

Yeah, I'll just put a random dosage of some unknown potency amber-borne drug into my baby.... ???

pwurple wrote: »
    I didn't call anyone horrible or irresponsible. I'm calling the amber necklaces dangerous (Or ANY jewelry on a baby). Which it is

+1.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I think not because it's not socially acceptable to do this and really who are we to judge anyone's parenting choices. In the end it's down to each family to make these decisions and weigh up risk/benefit for their family. Now if only we could do that without constantly having people judge us wouldnt we all be happier people.

Bottle feeding is a completely different discussion and any possible risk I've seen with it was generally due to the quality of water used to mix the formula.

Or is there something else you are alluding to?
    pwurple wrote: »
    I didn't call anyone horrible or irresponsible. I'm calling the amber necklaces dangerous (Or ANY jewelry on a baby). Which it is.

I believe Sari's comment was more in reference to the closing statement of my post.

• Advertisement

Recent clinical studies clearly demonstrated that an amber necklace was at least as effective as a rabbits paw and 5% move effective than a horseshoe. The immediate benefits of amber reduce dramatically if they are utilised in proximity to a black cat and are nullified completely if passed under a ladder.

The efficacy of all the above treatments is reduced by 58.4% on Friday 13th but doubled if there's a full moon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement