Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remodelling + ext over garage + converted attic-Sth Dublin

Options
  • 03-02-2015 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭

Hi all

have read back over the last year or so of posts to help get an understanding of what we could be facing if we manage to get a house we're currently looking at in the Sth Dublin area.

Basically, what we would like to do:
    - knock wall between dining area and kitchen....€3k?
    - build an internal wall in an existing space off the other side of the kitchen to turn it into a utility room (so plumbing etc needed)....€3k?
    - extend above the garage (about 28sq meters) so as to put in an ensuite, stairs to the attic and expand the existing main bathroom. This would mean some changes to the existing roof also. Would have to inspect the foundations of the garage first to see if adequate....€40k (roughly €1.5k per sq meter per other threads)?
    - remove 'up and over' garage door and build a wall with window to turn garage into another reception room....€4k?
    - put an ensuite into the attic and make it habitable (it already has a velux window and is floored).....€10k?
    - insulate the entire house to greatly improve the energy rating.....no idea €€€?
    - modernise the rest of the house...flooring,painting etc €10k?
    - possible new electrics needed....€7k?
    - new kitchen....€10k?
    - professional fees (architect, engineers etc)....€10k?

Would I get it all in for €110k or am I being hopelessly ambitious with these figures:o

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

No prob

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Sleveile

Put what you want done on paper and get it drawn up.Get 3 prices from 3 different builders and then some more.

Did some work 3 years ago on my own house, asked my cousin ( who's a QS) about getting an architect and he laughed at me, asked me why would you pay someone to tell you what they'd like when you know what you want. A decent builder and draftsman will guide you and put you right on any mad ideas you might have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Thanks, will get quotes if it looks like I'm going to get the house but right now there are other bidders in the mix.

650gs - are you saying 'no prob' as in that's all very achievable for 110k?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

jay0109 wrote: »
    Thanks, will get quotes if it looks like I'm going to get the house but right now there are other bidders in the mix.

650gs - are you saying 'no prob' as in that's all very achievable for 110k?

'No probs' means 'not our prob' if costings are inaccurate... because we haven't seen the site and we ain't Quantity surveyors

BryanF wrote: »
    'No probs' means 'not our prob' if costings are inaccurate... because we haven't seen the site and we ain't Quantity surveyors

fek-n hell...I thought this was the Prices/costs forum :mad:
    Those figures above are my own estimates from reading back over a year of posts on here. Haven't contacted any builders as yet as the house is still on the open market.

I'll go and repost in the After Hours forum and see is there more informative feedback;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Bracken81

Sleveile wrote: »
    Put what you want done on paper and get it drawn up.Get 3 prices from 3 different builders and then some more.

Did some work 3 years ago on my own house, asked my cousin ( who's a QS) about getting an architect and he laughed at me, asked me why would you pay someone to tell you what they'd like when you know what you want. A decent builder and draftsman will guide you and put you right on any mad ideas you might have.

I've never known a QS to be wrong in my life, so I'd defo take the above advice!
    Sarcastic Face :-) :-) :-)

Jay1019
    It sounds like the Budget is large enough to complete what you want, but naturally enough I'd have to see the Site to be 100% certain.
    Sounds like Planning will definitely be required and in turn you'll need an
    Architect/Arch Technician/Engineer/Surveyor etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,466 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

If the attic is on the third floor then you have fire issues to contend with
    http://www.environ.ie/en/DevelopmentHousing/BuildingStandards/PublicationsDocuments/FileDownLoad,1657,en.pdf

If the garage is a standard garage then it will be less than 2.4m when finished so will fail the habitable room test.

You can either dig down or remove the garage roof

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Bracken81 wrote: »
    Jay1019
    It sounds like the Budget is large enough to complete what you want, but naturally enough I'd have to see the Site to be 100% certain.
    Sounds like Planning will definitely be required and in turn you'll need an
    Architect/Arch Technician/Engineer/Surveyor etc.

Is planning needed because of the extension over the garage or the attic conversion, or both?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Is planning needed because of the extension over the garage or the attic conversion, or both?

Planning permission will be required for the extension over the Garage...unlikely required for the attic conversion (assuming you are not adding a dormer).

Before you commit to the house, it may be worth speaking with an architect (and/or a QS first) to see if your budget is realistic. Another complication is that when/if you do come to be build, you may have to appoint an Design/Assigned Certifier (under the Building Control Amendment Regualations).

What did Enda Kenny...he was going to make Ireland the best little Country in which to do business!!!

He should have started with the red tape

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

What did Enda Kenny...he was going to make Ireland the best little Country in which to do business!!!

...and...there is Health & Safety to consider. :) You will have to appoint a PSDP and PSCS...see: http://www.hsa.ie/eng/Publications_and_Forms/Publications/Construction/homeowners_guidance.pdf
    He should have started with the red tape

We (Ireland) ranks something like 118th in the world for red tape and building! :(

Advertisement