Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Romantic weekend in .... Wicklow town?

• 03-02-2015 12:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 115 ✭✭

I'm thinking of buying a groupon deal for a Wicklow hotel.

Of course I will probably spend a lot of time driving around the wicklow mountains area. Is it an easy drive from the town?

And when we get back to HQ, is there much to do in the town? Nice restaurants perhaps? We're not looking to go clubbing or anything.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭Niall_daaS

nomeban wrote: »
    I'm thinking of buying a groupon deal for a Wicklow hotel.

Of course I will probably spend a lot of time driving around the wicklow mountains area. Is it an easy drive from the town?

From Wicklow Town to the Mountains (say Laragh) it's an easy jump. Maybe you go to Rathdrum and take the Greenan road from there to have a first stop at Glenmalure which is beautiful and allows great views of Wicklows highest areas incl. Lugnaquilla. Lot's of history to see there. From there you can head north for Laragh with Glendalough where you might spend an hour or two. From Glendalough you could take the old Millitary Rd to Glenmacnass (river and waterfalls) and further to the Sally Gap. There you turn south to Roundwood stopping above Lough Tay and Luggala Cliffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

mind me asking what the deal is and what hotel

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 115 ✭✭nomeban

Niall_daaS wrote: »
    From Wicklow Town to the Mountains (say Laragh) it's an easy jump. Maybe you go to Rathdrum and take the Greenan road from there to have a first stop at Glenmalure which is beautiful and allows great views of Wicklows highest areas incl. Lugnaquilla. Lot's of history to see there. From there you can head north for Laragh with Glendalough where you might spend an hour or two. From Glendalough you could take the old Millitary Rd to Glenmacnass (river and waterfalls) and further to the Sally Gap. There you turn south to Roundwood stopping above Lough Tay and Luggala Cliffs.

Thanks. What about car theft and break ins? I read a few boards threads and apparently it's mental up around those parts.

And what about Wicklow town? We don't want to spent all weekend in the shticks! We would like a walk around, bit of shopping and eating out too.

By the way the deal is a Groupon thing for the Grand Hotel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Wicklow goal tour is good,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭secman

Probably the Grand hotel?
    Not a lot of shops in wicklow town, Jack white s only down the road. Nice walk along the Murrow from the harbour, a stony grassy trail, weather permitting. Visit wicklow gaol. Romance can be where ever you want it to be !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 gavkeegan

Wexford Town would be better, IMO. It's twice as big and it feels more special because of its position in Wexford Harbour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Thanks. What about car theft and break ins? I read a few boards threads and apparently it's mental up around those parts.
    It happens, sure, but the chances of it happening to you are very small. Just make sure you leave absolutely nothing of any value in the car. I've been parking in the mountains there practically every weekend for nearly 15 years and it's only ever happened to me once.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 115 ✭✭nomeban

Is the Grand Hotel a nightclub or something? I read some reviews about disco noise and scumbags drinking outside around the carpark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭Niall_daaS

Thanks. What about car theft and break ins? I read a few boards threads and apparently it's mental up around those parts

I'm walking in the Wicklows each year for like 10 days and leave the car everywhere a walk starts. Never had a problem so far. But a Friend of mine is a regular hill walker in the Wicklows and for his car was aimed like 3 times in the last 2 years. So just be careful and leave nothing in the car and maybe open all lockers to show to unwanted visitors there is nothing worth the efford. You'll be grand and enjoy Wicklow.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Is the Grand Hotel a nightclub or something? I read some reviews about disco noise and scumbags drinking outside around the carpark.

There is a nightclub attached to it which has just reopened. There's also a late bar across the road so it can be noisy and messy at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

secman wrote: »
    Probably the Grand hotel?
    Not a lot of shops in wicklow town, Jack white s only down the road. Nice walk along the Murrow from the harbour, a stony grassy trail, weather permitting. Visit wicklow gaol. Romance can be where ever you want it to be !

ARGH. Sorry but tis Murrough. 1 thing I am so pedantic about since I live there!

Nightclub isn't open that often, but the loft nightclub across the road is on weekends. Can be a bit noisy alright.

Just so you know the GH isn't the most wonderful of hotels imho. So it depends on the price and how much time you'd be spending in the hotel itself as to whether it'd be a good deal or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

A walk from wicklow town (from the car park near the golf course) along the coast and cliff path to wicklow head and back, very late on a sunny evening with a calm sea is a definite "to do". And very quiet so should tick all the 'romantic' boxes.

Thats assuming it is open again - WCC had closed it last year due to coastal erosin issues.

For "romantic" forest walks then the Vale of Clara and the Devils Glen are a short drive from Wicklow town

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

I stayed here and it was fine.
    We'd no problems with theft's or noise.
    At the time there was a nightclub open in the Hotel, and the bar served late.
    We really like a late bar, so thought it was a great advantage.

We ate one night in the hotel and another night in a really good italian.
    There were a number of good bars but I can't recall the name's.

As other posters have said there's a nice walk, down post the Garda station.
    The Murrough I think.

All in all, I think it's a nice little town with something for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

I'm a local so probably a tainted opinion, but I wouldn't stay in the Grand Hotel.

Not for a Groupon, not for free.

Its a nice town though besides that.

Perhaps consider a b&B or guest house?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

There's also the walk up to the old lighthouse though that's at the other end of the town to the hotel. It is a lovely walk if you get to do it though.

Advertisement