Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car battery Recharge or Replace

Options
  • 03-02-2015 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I read a few thread about car battery before posting this, but I could not find my answer. Hence, creating new thread.
    I bought a used car at end of December 2014 (Peugeot 206 1.1 Fever)
    I jump started it a couple of times and kept it running for 1 hour.
    It worked for 10 to 15 days. I used to go daily just to start it up. (I could not get it on road as I didn't have insurance and Tax)
    Then I thought its okay now, so I stopped going daily just to start it.
    After 4 days, I tried again and it was gone. I called up my friend to jump start it again and it worked for that day but gone again next morning.
    So, I left it till I get sorted with insurance and Tax.
    I had jump started again yesterday night, and kept it on for 10 mins with full Rev, hoping that I could get that on road today morning.
    And it didn't get up.. :(

If you read my silly story. I have few (actually many) questions:

Should I recharge it or buy a new one?
    a) Recharge:
    How much will it cost me?
    How long will it survive?
    b) New:
    Which brand should I buy?
    Should I buy online or get it from Woodies or Lidl or any specific store?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Sasso

Had similar problem from car lying up for two years. In short new battery is best. I know you don't want extra expense but in essence it's worth it. Second buy from decent auto suppliers, like ash grove interparts or similar where they will give you honest advice re size of battery for car, different sizes for different size engines etc. also will offer variety from budget price to more expensive. They will also give you free advice re your current battery, whether worth charging. Expect to pay 60-90 euros for car that size.
    Also beware that there isn't a short in electrics that is draining battery at night, interior light on, radio, etc, some thing draining battery when car not running. Hope helps, but in short new battery as they all only have certain life span anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

Meritor wrote: »
    I read a few thread about car battery before posting this, but I could not find my answer. Hence, creating new thread.
    I bought a used car at end of December 2014 (Peugeot 206 1.1 Fever)
    I jump started it a couple of times and kept it running for 1 hour.
    It worked for 10 to 15 days. I used to go daily just to start it up. (I could not get it on road as I didn't have insurance and Tax)
    Then I thought its okay now, so I stopped going daily just to start it.
    After 4 days, I tried again and it was gone. I called up my friend to jump start it again and it worked for that day but gone again next morning.
    So, I left it till I get sorted with insurance and Tax.
    I had jump started again yesterday night, and kept it on for 10 mins with full Rev, hoping that I could get that on road today morning.
    And it didn't get up.. :(

If you read my silly story. I have few (actually many) questions:

Should I recharge it or buy a new one?
    a) Recharge:
    How long will it survive?
    b) New:
    Which brand should I buy?
    Should I buy online or get it from Woodies or Lidl or any specific store?

not holding charge - found halfords best price and will fit

Advertisement