Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30km speed limit housing estates

Options
  • 03-02-2015 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭

Council doing a 'do you want/think a 30km speed limit in your estate is a good idea thing. This is linked to the Jakes Legacy campaign. If you are interested, register your interest, see link, contacts

Its hard to argue against safe driving in estates where kids play etc etc. Im sure as always some wont be in favour as they like to speed and besides they are 'safe' driver.

http://www.waterfordcouncil.ie/en/Resident/Parking,Travel,and,Roads/Vehicle,Speeds,in,Housing,Estates/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭crazyman

Max Powers wrote: »
    Council doing a 'do you want/think a 30km speed limit in your estate is a good idea thing. This is linked to the Jakes Legacy campaign. If you are interested, register your interest, see link, contacts

Its hard to argue against safe driving in estates where kids play etc etc. Im sure as always some wont be in favour as they like to speed and besides they are 'safe' driver.

I'm surprised that this is a think/want situation. If speeding in housing estates is a legitimate safety concern then the speed limit should be implemented to all.
    I know that in the housing estate where I live there are speed limit signs of 10km/h (not that they are adhered to).

Or is it the case the people want speed limits increased to 30km/h?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Crankyflynn

There should be no consultation or thinking about it, the lower limits should be introduced by law. However the policing of it might be a struggle

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

crazyman wrote: »
    I know that in the housing estate where I live there are speed limit signs of 10km/h (not that they are adhered to).

Or is it the case the people want speed limits increased to 30km/h?

Have those 10 km/h signs got any legal backing though, or do they simply have the force of a "suggestion" in law?

For example, could you be done for doing 15 km/h, or would the Gardaí just say that the applicable speed limit is actually 50 km/h?

I think 30 km/h in estates makes perfect sense. Drivers are always bombing past my place as if they're at the fcuking Nürburgring. They're on the gas once they're over the last speed bump and you can still hear them going up through the gears before breaking heavily at the junction with the main road... even if they don't slow down, it would be nice to know they could get nabbed if there happened to be a cop there.

Enforcement is the real problem though...

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

It's very easy to police speeding in a housing estate....if your neighbour is speeding, knock at their door and tell them to cop on!....You'd be amazed how effective it can be!...why do people actually need signs/limits to tell them to slow down in a built-up area???

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Not a bad idea in theory, but never going to be enforced. It's workable in some estates, but in larger estates people will tend to go at 50km/hr instead of 30 IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

crazyman wrote: »
    If they are on public roads (in the charge of the council) only the official limits (30, 40, 50, 60, 80, 100, 120km/h) can be enforced. Otherwise it would be a charge of dangerous driving or similar. On private roads and road not taken in charge, the property owner / occupier may take measures.
    Sully wrote: »
    Not a bad idea in theory, but never going to be enforced. It's workable in some estates, but in larger estates people will tend to go at 50km/hr instead of 30 IMO.
    Part of that will be people doing 50km/h because they are allowed do 50km/h. change the rules and at least some will change their behaviour, while the rest can be prosecuted.

Some submissions that others have done:
    http://dublincycling.com/cycling/30kph-campaign
    http://www.dublincycling.com/cycling/south-dublin-county-consultation-introduction-30-kmh-speed-limit-residential-estates
    http://dublincycling.com/cycling/skerries-cycling-initiative-sci-draft-submission-fcc-30-kmh-skerries-residential-areas
    www.riverwoodres.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/vehicle-speeds-residential-areas-jan-2015.odt
    www.dublin15cc.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/d15cc-vehicle-speeds-residential-areas-jan-2015.odt

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

It's very easy to police speeding in a housing estate....if your neighbour is speeding, knock at their door and tell them to cop on!....You'd be amazed how effective it can be!...why do people actually need signs/limits to tell them to slow down in a built-up area???

There are about 400 houses in the estate where I live. If I see a car speeding and note the make, model, colour and plate, what am I to do, walk the entire estate to try and find it? They mightn't be in, and then what? Your suggestion isn't particularly practical...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I used to live in Viewmount and two lads were constantly speeding, I gave them the waggly finger but to no avail, I heard them coming one day, flying down the hill, I rolled a plastic ball right out in front of him just as he flew passed,he burned the tyres off trying to stop, he didn't and flattened the ball, I then gave him the it could have been a small child lecture.
    Different lad from then on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Imagine if he swerved to avoid the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

longshanks wrote: »
    Imagine if he swerved to avoid the ball.
    Exactly my point
    I would have walked in and had a cup of tea!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

fricatus wrote: »
    Have those 10 km/h signs got any legal backing though, or do they simply have the force of a "suggestion" in law?

Unless it's written into law (by-law really) that x estate is now officially designated a 30kph zone, then the lowest (50kph) applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Tallcarrie

wellboytoo wrote: »
    I used to live in Viewmount and two lads were constantly speeding, I gave them the waggly finger but to no avail, I heard them coming one day, flying down the hill, I rolled a plastic ball right out in front of him just as he flew passed,he burned the tyres off trying to stop, he didn't and flattened the ball, I then gave him the it could have been a small child lecture.
    Different lad from then on.

We could all do with a wake up call about our speed in residential areas like this. Everyone of us has broken the speed limit on the days we're late or it's late at night or we think we're such good drivers or we're distracted or whatever. Heard the mother who's promoting Jake's Legacy on the radio and she said that after he was hit, Jake aged 6 ran to her fell in to her arms and said 'Mammy I don't want to die'; a few minutes later he was dead. Which of us could bear to be either that parent OR that driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

Tallcarrie wrote: »
    We could all do with a wake up call about our speed in residential areas like this. Everyone of us has broken the speed limit on the days we're late or it's late at night or we think we're such good drivers or we're distracted or whatever. Heard the mother who's promoting Jake's Legacy on the radio and she said that after he was hit, Jake aged 6 ran to her fell in to her arms and said 'Mammy I don't want to die'; a few minutes later he was dead. Which of us could bear to be either that parent OR that driver?

I don't think you'll find anyone who can argue with that - very well put. I often complain about those speed camera vans etc, but when you put it like that I suppose I shouldn't. Many of us point at some other person when we hear complaints about speeding but most of us need to slow down ourselves and take more care.

Advertisement