Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some MVS/Arcade PCB questions

• 03-02-2015 1:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

I've been talking about getting in to arcade hardware/games for a while now and have been putting it off for just as long, so I'd like to get the ball rolling.

I'll probably start with an MVS and a 161in1 multicart and go from there. I'd like to have a set up that I could play on a tv for the time being, then could put in a cab if I either buy one or put one together. I'd like to be able to play PCBs with it too if I decided to pick up some of those.

Now for the questions. I've read that some games require a power supply that outputs -5v, but I've yet to come across a PC power supply with that output. Could anyone recommend one at a cheapish price?

I'll more than likely pick up a supergun from the marketplace, but seeing as I'm looking to put a cab together in the, hopefully, not too distant future I'd like to connect arcade controls to it. Is this possible to do? (Or is it a difficult job for someone who has never picked up a soldering iron?)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The vast majority of PCBs you'll want to play wont need -5v. I've a rake of them and the only ones that need it out of mine are Raiden and Rastan Saga. To get around that all you need is a little adapter thing to put on the jamma edge and away you go.

So I wouldn't worry about that starting off.

The Last Bandit here has his own brand of supergun he's made up and they're really great, would be a good starting point.

Edit - The above mentioned superguns have Neo Geo ports from what I remember. There are other ones you can get that have screw terminals to wire in arcade buttons and sticks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

That's good news so. Makes finding a power supply much easier. Would a 300/350w power supply do the job?

Something like that would be ideal tbh. That was partly the reason I was originally going down the route of MAME and an ipac2. I'm certain even I couldn't mess up wiring buttons/sticks with screw terminals, ha.

There'd be no easy way of wiring sticks and buttons to a supergun that has controller ports then I take it?

Master of the Universe

I've used a variety of generic PC ATX PSUs over the years and they've all worked.

If you really want to go the full way with it though, look into getting a real arcade switching PSU. Fairly sure you can wire them into The Last Bandit's supergun (I think it's what the little green terminal block is for in the pics?)

http://www.jammaplus.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=53897&title=new-supergun-design

There'd be no easy way of wiring sticks and buttons to a supergun that has controller ports then I take it?

You'd need to wire up some fancy adapter to link the arcade buttons up to the controller pins.

Would be a bit of a pain alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Not to turn this into a sales pitch....

You can use either regular Jamma power supply or a PC ATX supply with the supergun. Connect the Jamma psu directly to the terminal blocks (they're labeled) and you're good to go.
    If you can find an old ATX supply that has -5V on it all the better, but to be honest not that many boards need -5V.

As for the controller side, its designed to take a variety of different controllers - including those fighting sticks designed for consoles if you want the arcadey feel without building one.

Home made setups which follow the NeoGeo pinout will also work fine. The NeoGeo controller basically just connects each to switch to GND to make the signal.

Soldering experience would help but I'm sure I could supply a suitable pre-made cable with suitable spade connectors on it so plug into a control panel.

That would be great!

I was already considering it as collection in Dublin 12 is about as convenient as it gets, ha, but now I think you have a sale. As soon as I find a decent 1 slot MVS I'll get in touch to discuss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

No rush, I'm sold out at the moment :) Won't have anything for 3 weeks or so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Pick up a JAMMA PSU if you are going to build a cab anyway, AFAIK Mitchomagic has some new ones if you send him a PM

I might do that so. Better to buy it now than need it down the line :-)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I've been talking about getting in to arcade hardware/games for a while now and have been putting it off for just as long, so I'd like to get the ball rolling.

I'll probably start with an MVS and a 161in1 multicart and go from there. I'd like to have a set up that I could play on a tv for the time being, then could put in a cab if I either buy one or put one together. I'd like to be able to play PCBs with it too if I decided to pick up some of those.

Now for the questions. I've read that some games require a power supply that outputs -5v, but I've yet to come across a PC power supply with that output. Could anyone recommend one at a cheapish price?

I'll more than likely pick up a supergun from the marketplace, but seeing as I'm looking to put a cab together in the, hopefully, not too distant future I'd like to connect arcade controls to it. Is this possible to do? (Or is it a difficult job for someone who has never picked up a soldering iron?)

Think its the same thing, but my mortal kombat 2 pcb needs -5 for the sound and i just bought a negatron off FrancoB that connects to the jamma harness between it and the pcb and it provides -5 to the board.

Thanks for the input everyone!

I must give soldering a go. Would more than likely come in handy with this hobby! The mother always said she soldered for Ferguson Televisions. Can't be too difficult I she did it! Ha

Plus I have an old LCD tv in need of a new capacitor. Replaced the tv ages ago, but stuck it in the attic incase I wanted to attempt a fix and stick it in a bartop.

Would an 18 or a 30w Antex be a good starting point?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Would an 18 or a 30w Antex be a good starting point?

An 18w Antex with replaceable tips is an excellent all rounder, & great to learn with.

18w, 30w and you'll burn the bejaysis out of the board if you're new to soldering
    a good crimper and loads of spade connectors come in pretty handy in the arcade business too

Ha, I'm glad I asked. The tip replacements was what drew me to the Antex. I can't imagine my first attempts being all that great!

I'm guessing a multimeter would come in handy too. Is there a specific one that anyone would recommend?

Antex irons are brilliant and really easy to solder with, watch a few youtube videos and you'll be soldering in no time.
    Any Digital multimeter is grand to start with, make sure there is audio continunity on it(should be on all multimeters these days anyway).

Thanks again!

I must start picking some stuff up. I've been putting these off for months!

It'd definitely come in handy. Plus, I'd love to try a pad hack to build a PS2 arcade stick!

Master of the Universe

Whenever I try to solder it just ends up like that scene at the end of Terminator 2 when the T-1000 explodes :(

Just another quick question. Is there a preferred model of 1 slot MVS or are they all pretty standard?

Do some of them have any major differences/flaws that others don't?

look for a socketed bios chip,

Advertisement