Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Eircom FIX its DNS servers

Options
  • 03-02-2015 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭

Wasted an hour of my time last night and just driven 50 miles because Eircom don't have DNS servers that work.

Same issue from 2 locations both with Eircom Broadband connections.

Someone needed Adobe Acrobat reader and the install failed as did trying to download the full file, changed DNS to Googles (8.8.8.8) and it download works fine instead of giving a can't find server error.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

my3cents wrote: »
    Wasted an hour of my time last night and just driven 50 miles because Eircom don't have DNS servers that work.

Someone needed Adobe Acrobat reader and the install failed as did trying to download the full file, changed DNS to Googles (8.8.8.8) and it download works fine instead of giving a can't find server error.
    Hi my3cents

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you have had. I had discussed this with technical support who have advised me that should you again have issues with eircoms settings please get in touch with them on 1890260260 as no widespead issues have been reported.

Thanks
    Al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Problem still exists, no point trying to fix something that I have a work around for, but if they find this it might help someone else get a quicker resolution.

Problem still exists, no point trying to fix something that I have a work around for, but if they find this it might help someone else get a quicker resolution.
    Thanks my3cents

I'll make sure to pass your feedback to broadband operations.

Al

Thanks my3cents

I'll make sure to pass your feedback to broadband operations.

Al
    I'll be back out to one of the sites on Friday so I'll try and remember to see if the issue persists.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 mitch_93

I've had the exact same problem for weeks now and seem to get nowhere when I contact them. Ino Google's public dns works fine but I shouldn't have to use them. It's very annoying

• Advertisement

mitch_93 wrote: »
    I've had the exact same problem for weeks now and seem to get nowhere when I contact them. Ino Google's public dns works fine but I shouldn't have to use them. It's very annoying
    If it was just one location then I wouldn't have mentioned it but I spent time on the phone to a guy who could not download adobe reader and I assumed it was just him, his computer or home setup. In his office 25 miles away from his home he had the same problem and when I checked it was Eircoms DNS crapping out when doing a lookup for the main download of the adobe reader file. You can do part of the adobe reader install but it fails at 50% which is the point its looking for the main chunk of the file to download. If you go directly to try and download the full adobe install file you get a page not found error until you change your DNS to something that works.

mitch_93 wrote: »
    If it was just one location then I wouldn't have mentioned it but I spent time on the phone to a guy who could not download adobe reader and I assumed it was just him, his computer or home setup. In his office 25 miles away from his home he had the same problem and when I checked it was Eircoms DNS crapping out when doing a lookup for the main download of the adobe reader file. You can do part of the adobe reader install but it fails at 50% which is the point its looking for the main chunk of the file to download. If you go directly to try and download the full adobe install file you get a page not found error until you change your DNS to something that works.
    Thanks for that,

I've been advised that If in future cases you disable PPOE that should help.

Thanks
    Al

jd wrote: »
    I think it's actually an issue with the CDN that Adobe are using, not eircom's DNS - have a look at 
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_delivery_network
    Thanks for you advice on this jd

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

the dns server work fine the problem is the modem's proxy dns cache that doesnt work

log onto modem go to network settings > home networking > set dns servers to "obtain from isp" click apply.

this bypasses the dns proxy cache and polls the dns server everytime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Thanks for that,

Thanks
    Al

What? Looks like someone is winding you up, you definitely do not disable pppoe, that will stop your router logging in.

I'm having no problems with Eircom dns servers

• Advertisement

Thanks for that,

Thanks
    Al

What? Looks like someone is winding you up, you definitely do not disable pppoe, that will stop your router logging in.

Thanks for your advice mass_debater - I'll look in to this

Cheers
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Thanks for that,

Thanks
    Al

Cheers
    Al
    I thought I might as well add to this thread as start another.

Eircoms DNS ..... Primary 159.134.0.1 and Secondary 159.134.0.2  are shown as unavailable in the modem set up.

I changed them to OpenDNS servers in the modem which are available and working.

Have the IP addresses changed for the DNS or is there some form of on-going problem?

Having thought about this I decided to try manually setting the DNS IPs in the modem set up.
    I have put 159.134.0.1 as the primary and now that seems to be recognised and presumably used.

Weird that when the DNS IPs are assigned by the default set up they do not resolve!

Thanks for that,

Thanks
    Al

Cheers
    Al

Eircoms DNS ..... Primary 159.134.0.1 and Secondary 159.134.0.2  are shown as unavailable in the modem set up.

Have the IP addresses changed for the DNS or is there some form of on-going problem?

Having thought about this I decided to try manually setting the DNS IPs in the modem set up.
    I have put 159.134.0.1 as the primary and now that seems to be recognised and presumably used.

Weird that when the DNS IPs are assigned by the default set up they do not resolve!

Hi Johnboy1951

I can confirm that there is no current or general issues with the DNS at present so the best advice I can offer is to reset the modem using the small pinhole at the back (if you have a Zyxel modem) which should revert everything to default - if that still does not help please contact eircoms technical support WebChat team at www.eircom.ie/chatnow or call them on free phone 1901.

Thanks
    AL

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Thanks for that,

Thanks
    Al

Cheers
    Al

Hi Johnboy1951

I can confirm that there is no current or general issues with the DNS at present so the best advice I can offer is to reset the modem using the small pinhole at the back (if you have a Zyxel modem) which should revert everything to default - if that still does not help please contact eircoms technical support WebChat team at www.eircom.ie/chatnow or call them on free phone 1901.

Thanks
    AL
    AL,
            As I posted, simply entering the Eircom DNS IPs manually fixed the problem.

No it is not a Zyxel modem, but a Motorola .......  old, old, old  :D

So problem resolved here.

Thanks for that,

Thanks
    Al

Cheers
    Al

Hi Johnboy1951

Thanks
    AL
    AL,
            As I posted, simply entering the Eircom DNS IPs manually fixed the problem.

No it is not a Zyxel modem, but a Motorola .......  old, old, old  :D

So problem resolved here.
    Cheers for the update Johnboy1951

Glad it's working now :)

Al

Advertisement