Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harry Redknapp resigns as QPR manager.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

He is useless and QPR now have a chance of staying up.
    Big job at Sky or BT for 'Arry next would be my guess.

Another reason not to subscriber if that happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Blaming his knee? Would have thought it was the shíte tactics myself. 'Triffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭GBXI

I don't think people realise how good of a manager he is/was. He's probably past his prime now but he got Spurs to a champions league and then topped a group that included the reigning champions, before knocking out AC Milan in the round of last 16.

He also won an FA Cup with Portsmouth. Great character and seemed to have a great eye for a good player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Ravenid

But if Harry leaves who will the QPR fans blame if they are relegated? :(

Ravenid wrote: »
    But if Harry leaves who will the QPR fans blame if they are relegated? :(

In fairness, if they do get relegated he will have played a huge part in it. Look at the tripe he's been allowed to sign and how they're set up. I mean, look at the amount of coaches he brought in FFS.

The whole set up was a mess and Fernandes should also receive a fair brunt of the blame for allowing it to continue as long as it has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Southampton since they came up from league one are a shining example of how to run a club looking to establish themselves in the premier league. Putting has beings and journeymen on ludicrous contracts like QPR have is the wrong way to go, Fernandes hasn't the first idea on how to run a football club just another play thing.

Redknapp did a good job at Spurs until he started to court the England job and took his attention off a pretty damn good Spurs side. He generally wrecks clubs he works at and his poor signings are a dead weight on the clubs balance sheet.

rob316 wrote: »
    Fernandes hasn't the first idea on how to run a football club just another play thing.

I agree in part with what you're saying. I don't think he's using it as a plaything. I think he legitimately cares. I mean, it's his money at the end of the day.

I just think he's very naive and his team around him are probably no better.

He reminds me of somebody playing FIFA who would just go out and buy a load of random players who have high stats because the money is endless without knowing how to set them up properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,536 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Please God no, one Redknapp is too much on TV as it bloody is.

He is literally Jamie's father...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

not hated just disliked for taking his eye of the ball when he was 5 points off the top of the league
    look at the players he had at spurs, Roddy Collins would have managed them

a midfield of modric, parker, bale and lennon, not including king, Van de vart and a fully functioning adeyabour

and to think he almost sold bale to birmingham

Jasus, that seems a little bitter. Juande Ramos couldnt get the best out of those players. He helped Bale become the player he is today by moving him from the position he was bought to play in. Spurs where a consistantly mid table team for 25 years before he arrived, now anything outside the top four is a disappointment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

rossc007 wrote: »
    Jasus, that seems a little bitter. Juande Ramos couldnt get the best out of those players. He helped Bale become the player he is today by moving him from the position he was bought to play in. Spurs where a consistantly mid table team for 25 years before he arrived, now anything outside the top four is a disappointment.

It would be a disappointment for Arsenal, Utd, City and Chelsea. Maybe Liverpool.
    But not for Spurs as they finished ..what..once in the top 4 in the last 25 years?

Think it says more about Ramos being a failure with that squad there was than it makes Redknapp a good manager.

Signing **** loads of players on massive wages doesnt make you a good manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

I think Harry has proved himself as a good manager over the years. In fairness most places he went he got decent results and got them playing decent football even though I'd say the club accountants of all those clubs were never overly impressed with him!

But I find him hard to like as a man and this whole situation only increases that dislike. His club are second bottom, yesterday he was trying to sign a few players, wasn't able to get them and now today of all days he decides he can't continue on because he's having knee surgery.

I wonder if he had got in 2 or 3 "top top" players on deadline day would this knee surgery have been near as pressing?

He literally must think the QPR fans and the public generally are idiots if he thinks anyone believes this is the reason he left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Cartilidge gone in the knee apparently.... 'down to the bare bones innit'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

He's 68 in March. I can see him either retiring or going into a DoF type role maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

inforfun wrote: »
    But not for Spurs as they finished ..what..once in the top 4 in the last 25 years?

Sorry to be pedantic but he finished in the top 4 twice in his time at Spurs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I did it from memory.
    Should have just looked it up. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

A cynical view, but it's hard not to think that the fact QPR's home fixtures get a damn sight more tougher from now played part. Jumping a sinking ship and escaping without a possible relegation on his CV springs to mind.

Jonathan Wilson sums up my view (@jonawils) :pac:
    This is outrageous: why should Sunderland be forced to play QPR in their first non-Redknapp away game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

1795514_10206112551679818_9198372666905091921_n.jpg?oh=18d0109ea0f4c21e733eb896f64cde3f&oe=556DADA7&__gda__=1433143448_891371021a766daa7802b14f4eef7ffc

That_Guy wrote: »
    The whole set up was a mess and Fernandes should also receive a fair brunt of the blame for allowing it to continue as long as it has.

I think Fernandes is a genuinely nice bloke who has the best interests of the club at heart deep down, but he just doesn't know enough about the game and/or has poor advisers. It appears he's definitely been guilty of letting managers bring in who they want and spend what they want without asking questions, most likely out of naivety.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Paully D wrote: »
    A cynical view, but it's hard not to think that the fact QPR's home fixtures get a damn sight more tougher from now played part. Jumping a sinking ship and escaping without a possible relegation on his CV springs to mind.

Jonathan Wilson sums up my view (@jonawils) :pac:

He has one of those. He took Southamption down in 2005 and then resigned in December the following season to go back to Portsmouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He has one of those. He took Southamption down in 2005 and then resigned in December the following season to go back to Portsmouth.

Also already took QPR down

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

He took QPR down as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

rob316 wrote: »
    Also already took QPR down

Should have remembered that one!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

look at the players he had at spurs, Roddy Collins would have managed them

a midfield of modric, parker, bale and lennon, not including king, Van de vart and a fully functioning adeyabour

Well... they started that season with 2 draws and 6 defeats, so you're obviously talking shíte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Dirty Steve

15/20 years ago he was a decent manager, now he's just a dinosaur.
    Brought through some of the best England players of their generation at West Ham.
    Bit of a knob, but I'll miss his personality if he's retiring. He didn't give those canned answers managers give in interviews now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Sherwood is getting into the spirit.

10685476_10153062767059914_1079251646770769983_n.jpg?oh=bc68462f87a586a39ae08335ad818c14&oe=5565448A

Yep, I know. I should have said "another possible relegation" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Bit of a knob, but I'll miss his personality if he's retiring. He didn't give those canned answers managers give in interviews now.

If he retires, it's because he has to and nobody wants him. If he's offered another job, he'll take it.

He said earlier in the season that this was his last job in football but he's said that before. Today on Sky he said he'll have his surgery and then look to get straight back to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Paully D wrote: »
    Yep, I know. I should have said "another possible relegation" :)

Yep, also getting relegated after taking over a struggling team during the season is a bit different to it happening when you've been in charge since the start. Far more accountability and damages your rep more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Kirby wrote: »
    If he retires, it's because he has to and nobody wants him. If he's offered another job, he'll take it.

He said earlier in the season that this was his last job in football but he's said that before. Today on Sky he said he'll have his surgery and then look to get straight back to work.

Reminds of the time when he left Portsmouth and said through his car door that there was no chance he'd be taking over at Southampton. He just wouldn't do it to Portsmouth he said.

We all know what happened within the next week :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

He didn't give those canned answers managers give in interviews now.
    He didn't need to seeing he had his own line in them.

"T'riffic boy"
    "Top, top, player"
    "The chairman deals with those things"
    etc, etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Never mind Sherwood bring in Stan :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Bale was sh!te for a long time after he moved to Spurs. It wasn't until Harry switched him from left back to a very advanced left wing/second striker role that Bale finally came good.

Actually that was an accident, injury crisis forced his hand and the rest is history

I actually liked the man till he pimped himself to England,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

He'll be the next Villa manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

COYVB wrote: »
    He'll be the next Villa manager

Don't say that. I couldn't handle it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Redknapp, 67, was angry that QPR's head of football operations Les Ferdinand was given control over signings during the January transfer window.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/harry-reddknapp-quits-qpr-manager-grows-tired-of-the-daily-grind-at-loftus-road-10021920.html

He's 68 in March. I can see him either retiring or going into a DoF type role maybe.

He is the last man I'd have in the Department of Finance.

A fantastic piece that just about sums Redknapp (and QPR at the moment) up.

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/37757/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Rarely have seen a manager go so free in the media from critique.

No away wins in the league is nothing short of embarrassing. A meh manager that has somehow developed a higher reputation via the media.

Shouldn't be near a premier league job again, but somehow can't rule it out.

Still get's banged on about how he setup a platform for Spurs, as everyone casually forgets how his January business was an absolute stink meaning they missed out on CL football that was all but theirs.

TheDoc wrote: »

'Arry and Martin O'Neill seem to get away with absolutely everything without a negative word being said

• Advertisement

JPA wrote: »
    Don't say that. I couldn't handle it.

Sadly, I think you're going to need to figure out a way to deal with it. I've a terrible feeling that's what's around the corner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Sadly, I think you're going to need to figure out a way to deal with it. I've a terrible feeling that's what's around the corner

Nah, I don't think he's Lerner's type. Plus he's too old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

'Arry and Martin O'Neill seem to get away with absolutely everything without a negative word being said
    'Arry because he keeps the media boys onside and gives them easy stories. MON because he threatens litigation against anyone who dares criticise him.
    Both are poor managers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

He'll be banking on Bournemouth going up, sacking their manager by end of August and then he's in.

It's written in the stars innit!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

TheDoc wrote: »

No away wins in the league is nothing short of embarrassing. A meh manager that has somehow developed a higher reputation via the media.

Shouldn't be near a premier league job again, but somehow can't rule it out.

Still get's banged on about how he setup a platform for Spurs, as everyone casually forgets how his January business was an absolute stink meaning they missed out on CL football that was all but theirs.

I think, in the final assessment, he was overrated by a British media desperate for one of their own to succeed towards the top end of the table. But he wasn't as bad as some quarters make him out to be either.

He's consistently demonstrated an ability to get teams up through the league structure
    He's won silverware
    He had a decent period at Spurs
    He put together a good run at the CL the one year he was in it

However:

- he's been relegated twice;
    - he's been a contributory factor to a couple of different clubs overspending and knocking themselves back for an extended period;
    - he proved to be tactically naive at times while with Spurs;
    - he was gifted a huge opportunity at Spurs having a group of highly talented players at his disposal for a time and, as such, his achievements were appropriate in that timeframe;

Overall, when you think about all the managers that manage in the English league structure Harry Redknapp definitely had a "good" career.

I, like many I'm sure, had a problem with the British media making him out to be something he wasn't and reacted to that but if this is the end as it could well be I'd be happy to call a spade a spade in terms of a review of his body of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

While overrated in the media he isn't as bad as been made out. In fairness to him his teams always played decent attacking football. A lot of the time he would have a player I really enjoyed watching in his teams. Di canio at west ham merson and prosinecki at Portsmouth and van der vaart at spurs. A bit of a spoofer but give me his style of football over the majority of other English managers like Pullis Pardew Hughes etc.

• Advertisement

... In fairness to him his teams always played decent attacking football. ...

QPR fan here that begs to differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

El Weirdo wrote: »
    QPR fan here that begs to differ.

I'd agree with you about his time at qpr . Even in the championship last yr he didn't have them playing the type of attacking game he usually does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Never understood the hype about him, to be honest. I can sort of see why the media like him; "good old 'arry", the cheeky cockney chappy, always good for a quote or three. Plus, he's English (which will always be a plus point for some of the more, er, "patriotic" of the sports hacks). But his actual managerial record re. winning trophies (play-offs apart) isn't great. One FA Cup win, I think, with Portsmouth (who he, in some peoples' eyes, nearly bankrupted). Very over-rated. Owner of a very financially astute dog though.

JPA wrote: »
    Nah, I don't think he's Lerner's type. Plus he's too old.

I don't think Lerner has a type really. Houllier, McLeish and Lambert aren't exactly bedfellows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Redknapp has actually suffered relegation three times (and was clearly on course to suffer no.4) as he was in charge of a Bournemouth team that dropped out of (the then named) second division in the 80's.

I think relegation sometimes doesn't get the media consequences if deserves. To get relegated you have to suffer a truly dreadful season. A manager that suffers the fate multiple times at multiple clubs is clearly flawed. You just need to look at the bullish determination exhibited by Allardyce last season when West Ham were in the **** and the wsy they dug in together to sort it out. It demonstrates an inability to cement a squad and keep it ticking over and - more importantly - an inability to win ugly and claw for vital points.

I can understand it early in a manager's career at 'starter' clubs with a clear resource disadvantage. But it's a black mark against a manager if it happens repeatedly as their career develops.

If Klopp goes down this year you can be sure he's a false prophet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement