Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

surfing near Limerick

• 03-02-2015 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭

hi all,

Just talking to someone earlier and wondering, where is the nearest place to go surfing to Limerick city ?

funny day of the year to have such a conversation I think you will agree

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭squonk

I'd say it's a toss up between Lahinch or parts of Kerry. I'm not sure if they do organised surfing in Kilkee. Ballybunion might be an option but it might not be the best location for surfing. I can definitely suggest Lahinch however. It's about an hours by car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Lahinch and Spanish Point would be the easiest to get to. A straight enough drive!

Kerry is a little bit farther. Castlegregory is worth a trip.

Ballybunion as well, but I've never been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Lahinch or Doonbeg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

+1 for Lahinch, its only 1 hour away and has great facilities for surfers, plenty of surf schools, equipment hire if you need it etc. Its important to check the tides before you go though, as there is usually around a 2 hr window either side of high tide where the water is up on the rocks and you cant surf (depends on height of tide obviously)

Doonbeg is a great spot also, but it has very strong rips! I'd try speak to someone who had surfed it before before you head there!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Went to the beach at Doonbeg golf course when the tides were in at Lahinch and had great craic last May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Jofspring wrote: »
    Went to the beach at Doonbeg golf course when the tides were in at Lahinch and had great craic last May.

Be very careful in Doonbeg. It's dangerous, the rips are pretty strong. You would want to know what part of the beach to enter the water at.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

seachto7 wrote: »
    Be very careful in Doonbeg. It's dangerous, the rips are pretty strong. You would want to know what part of the beach to enter the water at.

+1 for this, there are some extremely strong rip tides around there.

I would say, stay well away from Doonbeg and if you go to Spanish Point, stay over by the lifeguard hut, don't go over to the left of the beach. Some strong rips there as well, and if the tide comes in, you have the rocks under you to deal with.

Lahinch would be best, and east to get to from Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Jofspring

We went out with a few instructors from the surf school so I'd say they knew the spot to bring us in at.

• Advertisement

If you're with instructors, yeah, they obviously know the score. I did the same myself many years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

lahinch for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭gofasterdad

another +1 for this. I've been surfing in Lahinch many many times and have surfed in Doonbeg maybe 10-15 times. I was never fully comfortable in Doonbeg as the rips could get seriously strong very quickly. I only ever went to Doonbeg when the waves were too small in Lahinch, so I would really not like to be there on a big day. It can be pretty isolated at times so there may not be anyone around to spot you if you do get into difficulty.

You can get great waves there and it's a very scenic location, but you should be aware of the dangers so you can make an informed decision as to whether its a suitable spot for you or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

theres great surfing in the island field.amazing.:D

another +1 for this. I've been surfing in Lahinch many many times and have surfed in Doonbeg maybe 10-15 times. I was never fully comfortable in Doonbeg as the rips could get seriously strong very quickly. I only ever went to Doonbeg when the waves were too small in Lahinch, so I would really not like to be there on a big day. It can be pretty isolated at times so there may not be anyone around to spot you if you do get into difficulty.

You can get great waves there and it's a very scenic location, but you should be aware of the dangers so you can make an informed decision as to whether its a suitable spot for you or not.

Unless you're with an instructor or an experienced surfer, I wouldn't go near Doonbeg.

I was standing in the water once, just up to my knees, and the rips were doing their best to pull me along the sand.

I was with a group, we didn't stray too far from shore, but one minute you'd be up to your waist, the next up to your neck, the next up to your waist again.

God help a small child who gets in difficulty there. Go down when the tide is out, and you'll see what the beach is like when there is no water on it...

Advertisement