Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So my Young Professional Visa just got rejected, my Working Holiday expires in May

Options
  • 03-02-2015 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Am I done here?
    Next language test is 28th of March, unless I want to fly to Toronto from BC which I can't afford.
    At that stage I'll have 7 months in a food management (NOC 0) post, however I was in a supervisory role with a raise for 5 months before that and I feel like the owner would be fairly happy to say I was managing if it made a difference.

I haven't told my girlfriend yet but I'm really torn up now, it looks like I'm going to have to leave her in May, to go back to unemployment in Ireland. Hip hip hooray

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

You can only participate in the IEC once, so you were never going to be granted a Young Professionals visa after being issued a WHV :confused:.

You can apply for permanent residency or sponsorship via your girlfriend, I guess. Or get your employer to apply for a LMIA visa for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭montreal2011

I think that you can remain in Canada for 180 days/ 6 months as a tourist.

If so, and it's feasible, e.g. gf covering costs, maybe you could spend the time unemployed in Canada rather than in Ireland.

You can get a credit card which offers travel rewards such as collecting aeroplan or airmiles. Right now, aeroplan members have a td card offer of 25kmiles if you charge 1k on card within first month, and credit card fee is waived for the first year. You can get return flight from Vancouver to Toronto (you still pay the taxes) for 25k aeroplan miles.

PR application or sponsorship via gf are the best way of securing your status in Canada. It's much nicer when you don't need to keep getting work permits.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭purplegreendave

Faith wrote: »
    You can only participate in the IEC once, so you were never going to be granted a Young Professionals visa after being issued a WHV :confused:.

You can apply for permanent residency or sponsorship via your girlfriend, I guess. Or get your employer to apply for a LMIA visa for you.
    One of the girls I work with had done a working holiday and is on her second Young Professional, since December, which is why I tried. I guess she slipped through somehow. I had suspected they might refuse this one though.

Looks like for an LMIA I need a minimum hourly wage of $21.79? I don't think that's going to happen.

I think I shot myself in the foot with regards residency. I've been steadily employed basically all the time I've been here, but the work hasn't always been recognised high skill positions - raft guiding and video kayaking or working as a cook comprise a lot of it. If I could apply based solely on time in the country I'd have 25 months already with another 3 to go.

We don't live together (although we might as well), but it was our plan if I got the visa to move in at the end of my lease. I don't know if she can sponsor me if we're not already living together ie. Common Law?
    I think that you can remain in Canada for 180 days/ 6 months as a tourist.

That could be a last resort, but its just prolonging the problem essentially

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭montreal2011

I think you need 12 months living together to be considered common-law partners.

I'm not sure if you've shot yourself in the foot with regard to permanent residency. I believe that there has been many updates in the last 12 months in the perm res and lmo systems. Not sure if they work for or against you.

Anyway, good luck, don't give up. If possible, PR is the best way to go. If it's possible for you, go for it asap. It has taken 10 - 14 months from people I know who did it via Quebec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

It has taken 10 - 14 months from people I know who did it via Quebec.

Spoken with the fiance of one of my wife's friends who works in the government, and he says new applications are looking at 36 months now. It's a complete mess. Everything gets sent to Mississauga, and then sent out to other areas. Mine's currently in New Brunswick, somehow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Energizer_Bat

I got my PR in Quebec in 11 months. My Girlfriend sponsored my as common-law and we had to be living together for 12 months before applying.

If you do not go through the family sponsor way then you need to have intermediate French to get your CSQ (Certificat de selection du quebec).

I applied externally through London. Internal Process is a mess at the moment from what I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

If only I knew French... bloody Quebeccers have it easy :P

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Energizer_Bat

COYVB wrote: »
    If only I knew French... bloody Quebeccers have it easy :P

Tell me about it. I'm slowly getting there but won't be actively speaking french for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Might hijack this for a moment. Looking at another *maybe* visa option. In terms of a language test, which would be the better Frenchg test to do TEFQ, or TEF Canada?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

I got my PR in Quebec in 11 months. My Girlfriend sponsored my as common-law and we had to be living together for 12 months before applying.

If you do not go through the family sponsor way then you need to have intermediate French to get your CSQ (Certificat de selection du quebec).

I applied externally through London. Internal Process is a mess at the moment from what I know.

How do they prove the length of time you've been living together? How soon after entering Canada can you apply for permanant residency?

• Advertisement
Advertisement