Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making friends for your dog?

• 03-02-2015 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

At least once a day our Lexi gets a good long walk which includes a lot of running around.

However, I have noticed the walks that she enjoys the most are the ones where we meet someone else walking their dog and she and that dog can run around like lunatics for 20 odd minutes. She loves other dogs.

Unfortunately we humans (me and my husband) are not very sociable with strangers. We say hello and do the polite chit chat but then we go our separate ways and never meet again.

Honestly, what I would love to do when Lexi meets a dog she can happily play with is get the owner's contact details and make the meetings a regular thing.

Do people do that? Have any folks here done that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I think within about 30 seconds of meeting a dog owner and their dog, you will know if there is a possibility of arranging dog-play-dates!
    If someone is happy that their dog is playing with yours, and their dog is happy to play with yours, then I think it would be fine to say to them something like, "What time do you come to the park every day - would it be an idea to meet up to let the two dogs have a play"
    If you see the same person/dog on your walks this would be perfectly acceptable I think

Its funny to see two complete strangers out on a walk, smiling at their dogs having a play - its like parents being happy that their toddler is mixing well :D
    I have friends who have dogs that I meet specifically to go dog walking with - sometimes we have quite a 'pack' of dogs walking - the dogs love it all. Maybe you could arrange any fellow dog owning friends to meet up with you once/week at a dog friendly walk?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Sleepless and Manic

I've worked in a day/boarding kennel. We had up to 30 dogs every day of every type, 90% of them were regulars coming either daily or a couple of days a week so you really got to know them.

They got 8-10 hours of running around and being in a pack and had a great time. It was 1 in a 1000 who didnt take to it. They'd usually be scrambling to get into the place when their owners dropped them off.

Advertisement