Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert History as a subject

• 03-02-2015 7:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

I'm back, again, unfortunately.

I know this is making me sound like an indecisive...twit...but I have been informed by so many teachers in my school (and even a few students that do the three sciences) that doing Biology, Chemistry and Physics together makes for a monotonous leaving cert and that having another subject thrown into the mix can make things more varied.

I'm not entirely convinced by this view just yet but it now means that my subject choice is not a "closed case" and I will have to continue with my investigation of other options.

History?

I've heard a lot about this at LC level such as massive course...a speed-writing competition due to the rather short exam time...a bit unpredictable.

Is it a good subject to do in order to vary things and keep my options open, or is it only going to cause me grief. I loved the subject at JC (consistently got 90% + in exams) and have a fairly good interest in History.

Is it a good subject to do along with 2 sciences and French?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for reading.

TL:DR Indecisive nitwit looking for opinions on LC History

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Eazzah

I love LC History! It's a very long course (4 books, 200 pages in each book), but they overlap a lot. You could learn off 3 essays and get an A1 in it if you're lucky. One book is given the role of 'Document Question' and only questions about the case studies will be asked on that book. The project is also a good chunk (20%?) and isn't too hard to do.

As for the actual exam it seems to be a bit rushed. I think the guideline is 45 minutes for your document question and 35 minutes for each essay. If you know the stuff that'll be no bother, but if you're struggling or nervous it would be hard going. I do it with Physics, a language and Geography and I love it. My favourite subject by far.

Edit: I also find it a relaxing class in a way. You literally just read the book for the whole class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Terrific subject, terrible exam. Writing a 5 page essay in 50 minutes three times is not fun. I really regret doing History but if you feel you can handle learning off fact after fact and then being able to memorise it all, go ahead. As another user said, you could chance your arm and learn 3 essays and get an A1.

History at LC is more so political and social that what you would have done at JC, does that interest you? If not, stay away.

Are you aware that a research project worth 20% is required? It takes a substantial amount of time to do this properly.

If you want to do three Science subjects, have an interest for them and have an aptitude for them, do them. You'll find it far more enjoyable to study if you pick subjects you enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

If the above information puts you off, strongly consider Economics. I also hear Business is fairly handy.

What you want, OP, is not the subjects you're interested in (like you're thinking now), but something as easy as possible. Two sciences is tough, and it sounds like you want to progress to something science-related (?), so my advice is to pick the least-worst option you can get good marks in. History is a lot of work.

I picked the subjects I thought would be the most interesting. Interest only gets you so far in the LC game! At the end of the day it's about the points in these exams (sadly), so choose wisely!

Also, unless you intend to apply for UCAS, you don't need particular subjects to "keep your options open" with regards most third level courses, beyond English, Maths, Irish and (possibly) third language. You've got a science one too, so you're pretty covered.

Advertisement