Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electrician license in ireland

Options
  • 03-02-2015 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

Can you please help me with some info or point me to the right direction?

I am currently an electrician (for about 15 years) and want to move in Ireland.

From where or what are the the steps to get my practice licenses in Ireland?

Mostly i worked in the industrial/commercial area but also in domestic as well.

My previous license was on 20Kv, and current one is for 0.4Kv.

I m also licensed for Fire Detection Systems.

Do you know where to give some exams to get my licenses for Ireland?

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

aresboa,

there is no licence as such, you'd serve a four year apprenticeship.

You could speak to the union here to see about equivalency, Ireland has agreements with certain countries, usually British common wealth countries that are old and where trades are recognised. It is more difficult for electricians from eastern Europe to get approved. Note that being accepted by an Irish union would not necessarily mean you would be classed as an electrician, they are an important element but not the single authority on the issue.

The fire alarm industry might be the easiest for you to get involved in based on your experience, some of the lads in that industry are well qualified but not necessarily electricians, they accept other forms of technical qualifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

What country are you coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 aresboa

What country are you coming from?

I am from Romania.

Stoner wrote: »
    aresboa,

there is no licence as such, you'd serve a four year apprenticeship.

You could speak to the union here to see about equivalency, Ireland has agreements with certain countries, usually British common wealth countries that are old and where trades are recognised. It is more difficult for electricians from eastern Europe to get approved. Note that being accepted by an Irish union would not necessarily mean you would be classed as an electrician, they are an important element but not the single authority on the issue.

The fire alarm industry might be the easiest for you to get involved in based on your experience, some of the lads in that industry are well qualified but not necessarily electricians, they accept other forms of technical qualifications.

Thank you for your reply.

From what you say, is very difficult to become an Electric Engineer even if you are Irish.

I suppose that there should be a faster way to start working instead doing 4 years as an apprentice.

I read something about Wiring Regulation 17th Edition or BS7671 but didn't exactly found an examination center.

Do you have any advice about this ?

Thanks in advance,

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

aresboa wrote: »
    From what you say, is very difficult to become an Electric Engineer even if you are Irish.

Correct, that is the way we like it :)
    In Ireland there is no short cut to becoming an electrician or electrical engineer. People working in these roles should be highly skilled and responsible individuals.
    The intention is that our expectations of an electrician or engineer should not be "watered down" any further.
    I suppose that there should be a faster way to start working instead doing 4 years as an apprentice.

Stoner has suggested one way.
    I read something about Wiring Regulation 17th Edition or BS7671 but didn't exactly found an examination center.

Do you have any advice about this ?

These regulations do not apply to Ireland although they contain some excellent reference material. In Ireland we must comply with "The National Rules for Electrical Installations", ET101:2008

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

2011 wrote: »
    These regulations do not apply to Ireland although they contain some excellent reference material. In Ireland we must comply with "The National Rules for Electrical Installations", ET101:2008

Just to be strictly accurate, BS 7671:2008 (2015) does not apply in the south of Ireland (where ET 101:2008 is the relevant standard), however they do apply in the north of Ireland.

aresboa wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply.

I suppose that there should be a faster way to start working instead as doing 4 years as an apprentice.

Well here there is the IEI for engineers
    http://www.engineersireland.ie/home.aspx

the terms Electrical Engineer and Electrician are not the same thing here. You should contact the IEI and have all your qualifications ready to go, they can make a judgement on what level you'd be recognized as, you could join them too. (for engineering)

You'd have to be clear about being an electrician (a trade) or an Engineer. They are different here.

Contact FAS/ Solas

http://www.solas.ie/contact.aspx

about being an electrician they might advise. I'd advise not suggesting that you are both an electrician and an engineer unless you have separate qualifications in each. Neither will recognize you as both for the one qualification, lots of experience wont count for much either so have your paperwork ready. If you try to argue or say you are both and that's the way it is in your country etc you wont get far.

I hope this helps

Hi Guys,

Thank you very much for you support on this.

Taking your leads and using search engines i endup here: ecssa.ie

Would this course and certificate be any help for a guy in my situation?.. or just a waste of money?

Thanks in advance,

the ecssa.ie certify your work not your qualification. The two links I gave you above should be where you start.

If you are looking for a "fast" way around this it wold be best to speak to Fas and the IEI. There are not many other options, if you are not an electrician the ecssa.ie cant help you, they might train you for a fee for something, but you wont get to call yourself an electrician or an engineer as a result.

there is no fast route on this, I dont know your situation but Ireland was flooded with guys claiming to be electricians based on military apprenticeships served in foreign countries over 2 years. Some of these were suspect, its regulated here so you could look into the IEI and FAS.

Stoner wrote: »
    the ecssa.ie certify your work not your qualification. The two links I gave you above should be where you start.

If you are looking for a "fast" way around this it wold be best to speak to Fas and the IEI. There are not many other options, if you are not an electrician the ecssa.ie cant help you, they might train you for a fee for something, but you wont get to call yourself an electrician or an engineer as a result.

there is no fast route on this, I dont know your situation but Ireland was flooded with guys claiming to be electricians based on military apprenticeships served in foreign countries over 2 years. Some of these were suspect, its regulated here so you could look into the IEI and FAS.

Hi,

First of all, thank you for you help.

I made some progress, but not very positive.

engineersireland.ie is dealing only with Electrical Enegeneers. The bad thing is that i don't have a diploma in Engineering.

I will continue with solas.

Thanks in advance,

• Advertisement
Advertisement