Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paris

Options
  • 03-02-2015 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

Finally bit the bullet and decided to pack things in here for a sejour in the French capital; duration still undetermined, but hope to be there for at least a year. There is no plan as such. I don't have a job lined up - I don't have accommodation sorted - I don't even really know anyone over there I don't think. One asset I do have is French. I speak it pretty well. And enough savings to tide me over for a few months at least.

I believe there's quite an Irish community in Paris (I imagine there's quite an every community in Paris) but I'm not particularly too pushed to seek that out. Not averse to the idea but I want to live as French as I can, or at least as French as I can in Paris, where every second person has arrived from somewhere else.

Is there any kind folk out there who have made this move and can offer some helpful tips or tricks? I've lived in France before and accommodation is always the biggest nightmare, French guarantors in hot demand for every lease. I've been browsing seloger.fr, appartager.com and pap.fr and expense is something I've already anticipated.

Which arrondissement? Share or no? Agency or not? Best sites/places to jobhunt? Bank accounts? Mobile network? Places not to find myself in? The usual, really. I'm familiar with the city but there is much I don't know.

If anyone has any advice I'd be most grateful. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭baker59

Which arrondissement?
    Most places are fine, maybe just try avoid living in Pigalle, near Gare du Nord, Gare du l'Est.

Share or no?
    Might be easier a find a place if you're willing to share since you won't have a guarantor or a job. Maybe have researched a few cheap(ish) hostels as a backup.

Agency or not? Again, they might not take you on your word alone & without a job or guarantor. Might be worth your while putting your own ad up on pap.fr explaining your situation. €29 last time I checked and it is not pushed to the bottom of the pile that quickly.

Best sites/places to jobhunt?
    Depends on what you want to do. If you'll need a job fast, get around the Irish, Scottish and English bars. Most bars/restaurants usually pay on the black or partially on the black.

Bank accounts? You'll need an address and proof of residency. If you house share and you're not on the papers, the name on the lease can state that you are living with them and take a bill with their name on it.

Mobile network?
    Free are cheap. There are deals in a few companies. €20 a month, unlimited texts, calls, internet and possibly to landlines in Ireland.

Places not to find myself in?
    You'll be fine. Just be smart. Even though Fox news says that there are no-go areas in Paris, there aren't. If you are female, just be extra careful and if you are a blonde female, be careful and be ready to take some harrassment(verbal) in some areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

Thanks for the information, baker59. Much appreciated. I am neither blonde nor female so that shouldnt be a problem. I'm thinking of booking an AirBnB for the first week or so and pounding the pavement for accommodation; it'll probably take longer than that though so I'll need to keep a hostel in mind. If you think of anything else in the meantime, well, this thread isnt going anywhere :)

Thanks for the information, baker59. Much appreciated. I am neither blonde nor female so that shouldnt be a problem. I'm thinking of booking an AirBnB for the first week or so and pounding the pavement for accommodation; it'll probably take longer than that though so I'll need to keep a hostel in mind. If you think of anything else in the meantime, well, this thread isnt going anywhere :)

http://www.paris-hostel.biz
    I stayed there a few times before moving over here. It's grand. Cheapest I know.

Thanks again, man. Are salaries similar to home or less? Do you like it over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

What kind of nightlife do you like? I lived in Paris for a year and didn't find it catered particularly well to young people. Cities like Bordeaux had much more of a mix.

• Advertisement

Also on salaries the taxes are higher so the take home pay is a good bit less than an average salary here.

La_Gordy wrote: »
    What kind of nightlife do you like? I lived in Paris for a year and didn't find it catered particularly well to young people. Cities like Bordeaux had much more of a mix.

I'm 26 so sort of winding down on the mental clubbing antics. I do like a nice bar though. Is there a decent bar culture? Somewhere just to have a nice glass of wine and catch up. I'm also very into music and Paris is obviously the go-to city in terms of international/homegrown performers.

It's funny you mention Bordeaux. The dilemma was deciding where I wanted to move to in France. The South really appealed, and I considered Bordeaux/Montpellier/Avignon, because the weather was better, pace of life less hectic and things much cheaper, but I was just afraid there was a lot less going on. I do love Paris too. I might do it for a while and then head southbound if the opportunity arises.

Are you back home now? Would you live in Bordeaux again?

I'm 26 so sort of winding down on the mental clubbing antics. I do like a nice bar though. Is there a decent bar culture? Somewhere just to have a nice glass of wine and catch up. I'm also very into music and Paris is obviously the go-to city in terms of international/homegrown performers.

It's funny you mention Bordeaux. The dilemma was deciding where I wanted to move to in France. The South really appealed, and I considered Bordeaux/Montpellier/Avignon, because the weather was better, pace of life less hectic and things much cheaper, but I was just afraid there was a lot less going on. I do love Paris too. I might do it for a while and then head southbound if the opportunity arises.

Are you back home now? Would you live in Bordeaux again?

Ahm really into music and found that when your salary is low, the options are really quite limited. But there are good bar areas such as the Bastille. The fancier ones are about a tenner a drink, but there are some gems such as le leche vin. Also, depending on where you end up living, there's usually a local :)
    I never lived in Bordeaux but I was very envious of my pals that did as they were paying less for studios than I was for a room! It's also a student town so there's mores going on for young people. Same as Montpellier.

Yeah i'm 29 so not much for clubs now either but there are bars for everyone..
    The stereotype is that you will be paying a tenner for a pint of piss and in a lot of places, it is true.
    There are some great bars though where you can find a pint for €4-5. As mentioned, Bastille is good. Rue de lappe. Bar des Familles is €4.50 and is a good laugh.
    There is a bar on Rue Montemartre that I can't remember the name of but it's across the road from the Lions English bar and pints are about €5, more of a bar/restaurant. There is another bar just up the road from that towards Grands Boulevard that do happy hour until midnight and Carling is €2.90. Not really a bar you'd go to for good fun, again it's more of a restaurant but €2.90 for a beer is cheap for anywhere in Ireland.
    Irish bars and bars that are easy to find are very expensive. Cheapest Irish bar (that's Irish owned) that I can think of now is the Green Linnet but I don't know them all. Guinness is about €6.50.
    There's a scottish bar (The Highlander) that have an open mic night on Wednesdays I think. Good laugh.

I thought that I was doing v well with my salary until the yearly tax form came along and then the apartment tax. I agree that salaries are slightly lower and cost of living is slightly higher.

Advertisement