Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pork cheek

Options
  • 03-02-2015 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭

How easy is this to get in butchers generally speaking?

Saw a fantastic vindaloo recipe calling for this (Rowley Leigh in the FT Weekend magazine) and it's now next up for trying something new. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,436 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Did it say the exact piece? The whole cheek can be pretty rough, however the jowl muscle (where the knife is pointed below) is amazing slow braised and has a consistency of confit duck leg
    4_cheek.JPG.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 39,394 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

duploelabs wrote: »
    Did it say the exact piece? The whole cheek can be pretty rough, however the jowl muscle (where the knife is pointed below) is amazing slow braised and has a consistency of confit duck leg

I'd probably call the the jowl to the cheek.
    I'd call that that think half a face. (inc a bit of ear)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

The recipe’s behind a paywall but I have the cut-out, it’s definitely cheeks: “their texture lends itself perfectly” to buckets of flavour such as vinegar. It mentions removing particularly tough looking sinews

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Noticed these at the butcher's counter in Fallon & Byrne this evening, just in case anyone is wondering :)

It looks a rough enough cut, but of patience needed to make a decent curry out of it I suppose

Advertisement