Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 Peaks Challenge 2015

• 03-02-2015 8:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭

The 3 Peaks Challenge is in the C.I. yearbook, to take place on 12th April.
    I have done it, the last couple of years, in preparation for the W200.
    It's always a great event. The 3 climbs, in the title, are also in the W200.
    It's a pity, that the Tour de Foothills is on the same day.
    I wonder, why this clash could not have been avoided.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

What are the climbs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Aughavanagh, Sliabh Mann and the Shay Elliot.
    (please excuse spelling)

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

That's a pity its clashing with tdf- I planned to do both this year..3 Peaks it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Who runs the 3 peaks challenge? any links?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

These hills look good! Unfortunately the event may clash with my second son appearing on this planet :D

• Advertisement

South East Road Club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Swamp3

It's run by the South East Road Club. I can't see any link to this year's cycle but it's in the CI calendar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

The CI Calendar defaults to a 2014 start. Check April 2015 shows limited events and doesn't mention the 3 Peaks only the Gravity Enduro? There's every chance I am looking in the wrong place though

I have a hard copy of the Yearbook.
    3 Peaks is in it for 12th April.
    Here's a digital copy

http://www.youblisher.com/p/1053567-CI-Yearbook-2015/

Page 94

• Advertisement

I see it now.
    There's a contact email too.

doh

I have emailed organiser.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    doh

I have emailed organiser.

Let us know the date registration opens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Alek wrote: »
    These hills look good! Unfortunately the event may clash with my second son appearing on this planet :D

You should totally do it. Then you can come home and claim to have worked harder... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Aughavanagh, Sliabh Mann and the Shay Elliot.
    (please excuse spelling)

... Ah and don't forget the wee drag coming out of Woodenbridge on the way home.. its sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 iRepairs

Hi guys route for the 3 peaks is the same as last year. Online entry will be available in the next week or so, but you can always enter on the morning. You can contact us through our facebook page or at info at southeastroadclub dot com as our website is under construction at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭serc

On-Line entry now open follow link for paypal.
    https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=W3S54NLJ4FLZW
    Contact us on facebook or at info@southeastroadclub.com for any issues.
    Happy training see you all in April lads.

SERC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

serc wrote: »
    On-Line entry now open follow link for paypal.
    (https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=W3S54NLJ4FLZW)
    contact us on facebook or at info@southeastroadclub.com for any issues.
    Happy training see you all in April lads.

SERC

Link to paypal not working???

Link to paypal not working???

Thanks for that should be fine now.:cool:

Can somebody tell me, what time, this event starts.
    I think, I have seen two different times, in different places.

• Advertisement

Can somebody tell me, what time, this event starts.
    I think, I have seen two different times, in different places.

Hi sign on from 8 am roll out 9.30.

Thanks, I have signed on, but I think, there's a problem with your Paypal again.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

This will be my first (of hopefully many) sportifs of the year and I'm seriously looking forward to it.

I've only done one 100k charity cycle each year for the past 3 but am addicted now and have been training away for past 2 months and am using this for wicklow 200 preparation.

Any advance from the experienced campaigners on here how to approach this??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

happyhappy wrote: »
    This will be my first (of hopefully many) sportifs of the year and I'm seriously looking forward to it.

I've only done one 100k charity cycle each year for the past 3 but am addicted now and have been training away for past 2 months and am using this for wicklow 200 preparation.

Any advance from the experienced campaigners on here how to approach this??

The first 50k (I think that's right, to the 1st climb anyway) make sure to get in the bunch and let them pull you along. They tend to go fairly quick so it can be a bit of effort to keep in the bunch (especially if you are not used to riding in a bunch) but if you let them go you won't see them again and it does make things easier.

Hi guys that came around fast online entry closes tomorrow 12 midnight so get your entries in so we can have an idea of number for food and refeshments. There will be limited places available on the day. Hope the weather gods are good this year a day like today would be nice.

Sorry lads I have not been getting notification of the posts here. so here is the link again not sure what happens to it but I keep posting the same one. See posted below for info needed on the day. The ambulance number is wrong and will be corrected and handed out at sign on.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=W3S54NLJ4FLZW#m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭Gearsofwars

got the gpx file for the 3 Peaks route today going to give it a solo spin tomorrow morning, signed up for Sunday and looking forward to it!!!

Let us know how you get on, we did it on Sunday no major problems on the route there are a few bad patches of road before slieve Mann but other than than that roads are in good condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Shame this is on the same day as the Tour De Foothills-both great events, maybe next year they might be on different days/weekends?

• Advertisement

It's a pity they are both same weekend. Very hard to suit everyone I'm afraid.

Koobcam wrote: »
    Shame this is on the same day as the Tour De Foothills-both great events, maybe next year they might be on different days/weekends?

In fairness to S.E.R.C. the 3 Peaks has been on the same weekend for a number of years. It's the TdeF, that changed their date.
    I have done both for a few years. I decided on this for this year. Nicer route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

In fairness to S.E.R.C. the 3 Peaks has been on the same weekend for a number of years. It's the TdeF, that changed their date.
    I have done both for a few years. I decided on this for this year. Nicer route.

I prefer the 3 peaks route also, but since I live in Newbridge, the TdF is just handier, I'll get more sleep beforehand. Plus, in fairness, it's not a bad route and a well run event.

serc wrote: »
    Let us know how you get on, we did it on Sunday no major problems on the route there are a few bad patches of road before slieve Mann but other than than that roads are in good condition.

Got on great took my time 4h20m enjoying the stunning scenery with a few breaks, what a fantastic!! route, love the 3 climbs one after another, Slieve Mann is a brute and then just when think its all over bang!! Shay Elliott love it!! and the weather was unreal today it was so hot doing the climbs, roads are great some loose stones to watch out for on the Shay Elliott descent towards the bottom, looking forward to Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

How far into the cycle is the water stop

About 60km At the Glenmalure lodge at the bottom of the Slieve Mann desent.

• Advertisement

Judging by the weather forecast, We won't have to stop for water, just lean head back and open mouth.

Judging by the weather forecast, We won't have to stop for water, just lean head back and open mouth.

I'll be the guy with the snorkel cycling the boat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

I caught sight of the lead car / peleton as it passed my village outside Aughrim this morning just as a torrential downpour had started which had me questioning whether to turn back on my morning run. I didn't and it improved a bit but didn't look great for the cyclists I'm afraid.

Very well run event - thanks to all at serc. The weather was shocking between aughrim and knockananna. I've never experienced rain like it on a bike. I heard from da lads in the support car that it was only 3 degrees at the top of slievemann and the shay Elliot. The descents were hairy enough for a newbie like me!

Did the 107km in 4.20, with a 10 minute break in glenmalure. With the weather the way it was I was happy with that!

I rewarded myself with a second slice of carrot cake!! I'll be back next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Thanks to all at SERC. Great event. Will be back next year.

• Advertisement

I recorded my first D.N.F. in a sportive, today.
    I also recorded a P.B. on the Shay Elliot.
    I punctured three times. When I got home, I found the culprit, a tiny piece of glass, that I could neither feel or see during the spin.

I got my 3rd puncture, on the Laragh- Rathdrum road. I had no more tubes, so I rang the Sportive mechanic. It was very cold and I was wet to the skin.
    Even though the rescue car arrived promptly, I was shivering uncontrollably, when help arrived. I was ordered into the car, while my bike was being put in the boot. The driver put the car heater into overdrive. I was not allowed assist them in any way. Looking back, I must have been a wretched sight. When we got to Rathdrum, We stopped and Hot coffee was bought for me. When we got back to base, my bike was reassembled for me. My bike was wheeled to my car for me. In short, I was treated like royalty.
    So, if my helpers read this, thank you very very much for your assistance. If they're not, I hope somebody brings this post to their attention.
    Today was, as always, well organised. Well done to all concerned.
    Cake was lovely.
    I'll be back for more, next year.

Great to hear you "enjoyed" the event Eammonator glad you have thawed out enough to type. The weather was absolutely shocking but hopefully we can improve on the weather for next year. All feedback is greatfully accepted and will be taken on board for next years event to make it bigger and better so keep the comments coming.

All the best SERC.:)

A really well run event excellent signage on the roads or sorry I mean rivers :) will defiantly be back next year, 4 hours of wet weather training done and enjoyed, but I dont thing my feet would agree!! Thanks to all Marshals and everyone at SERC.

Advertisement